Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Save prendergast from becoming an academy.

Hello people i am a Charlton fan and i'm also leading a student protest movement in south london schools to stop academisation. Below is a video i made and a link that is on the protest page 'stop academies in Lewisham' which i felt worth sharing. Feel free to ask questions on here about prendergast can not become an academy i will be happy to answer as best i can. https://www.facebook.com/SavePrendergast?fref=ts https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K31_NUvoT8 students coming together to fight academisation. Please support us with solidarity messages and watch the vid its 2mins.

A video the NUT made of passionate teachers fighting against academisation. This is not about teachers trying to save their job, there was been 3 strike days so far and there will be more strikes, education in south london should not be run from the cty of london, quite literally. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTCCV6Mp2k0&feature=youtu.be

URGENT UPDATE:
FROM 6 MONTHS to 6 WEEKS?
TIME TO STEP UP FURTHER.
On February 12th, the Chair of Governors, Christopher Barrow, posted on the Federation Website that "The Governing Board of the Leathersellers' Federation of Schools would like to inform all its stakeholders that it has made an application to the Secretary of State to grant an Academy Order. If an Academy Order is granted there will follow a period of consultation. It is anticipated this process will take six months"
Today, the Governors have announced that the Academy Order has been granted by the Government (no surprise there) but that "the consultation will last six weeks". Are they deliberately ignoring the voices of the school community and pressing ahead at even greater speed?
Once again, they are not giving clear information on timescales but could they be seeking to launch this consultation soon after their Governors' meeting next Tuesday, then perhaps extend the six weeks over the Easter holidays, so that it can be finished in time for a final Funding Agreement to be signed off soon after the General Election and a new Government in mid-May??
We all have to respond, and fast:
1) With immediate demands for a full and open consultation, with those opposed to the proposal given as many rights as those in favour, and then a full ballot of staff and parents on the proposal.
2) A timetable for any consultaion that does not begin until after the General Election, as first stated by the Governors. Local councillors and MPs need to be told that, unless they are happy for the Election campaign to be dominated by the academies issue, then they should urgently come out in opposition to the plans - or, at the very least, support a full and open consultation and parental ballot to be put in place after May 7.
3) Unions are discussing escalating to a two-day strike as well.

Thank you for reading.

Comments

• Not at all an expert on this, but haven't academies been quite successful so far?
  • So what are the pros and cons?
  • stonemuse said:

Not at all an expert on this, but haven't academies been quite successful so far?

That's what I thought. Daughter's school is an academy and is a truly outstanding school. There's only 1 other school in the area which I would have been really happy for her to attend and that is also an academy

• one school down the road from me used to have a reputation for pumping out drug dealers and criminals, now it's an academy and it's getting fantastic results.
  • one school down the road from me used to have a reputation for pumping out drug dealers and criminals, now it's an academy and it's getting fantastic results.

Let me guess..Canterbury Academy?
  • Telling to me that it's teachers and their Union who are protesting, and brain washed students. Ironic chant about "sheep" I thought.

Smacks of worrying about their own self-interest or political ideology above the interests of children's education.

All academies are trying to do is what teachers ask for, stopping the State interfering with how teachers teach.

• edited March 2015
    Academies are a great idea.

No wonder the "who shouts loudest parties" are in favour of voting at 16.
  • Out of interest what is the unity with PLFC students like? I notice you mentioned them in your video.
  • I believe education & public transport should be run by the Government. My eldest is in the last year at primary school and (unfortunately) didn't pass his 11 plus - we looked round a couple of local Comprehensive schools & put them down on our preference list..........only to find out last month that 1 of them has decided to shut down !! wtf - how can you shut down a school with 720 pupils ??? where do they go to ? My lad has now been given a school out of the area as there are no spaces left at the other schools.

Academy Schools, Foundation Trusts (NHS) & Network South East.............all should be run by the authorities. and I'm a Tory.
  • edited March 2015

Dippenhall Member
    2:51PM
    Telling to me that it's teachers and their Union who are protesting, and brain washed students. Ironic chant about "sheep" I thought.

Smacks of worrying about their own self-interest or political ideology above the interests of children's education.

All academies are trying to do is what teachers ask for, stopping the State interfering with how teachers teach.
    WOW i fully expected a private sector worker to post something like this. When we (students) protested with teachers on thursday we recieved some nasty comments from the posh boys in the city of london with their fancy suits and watches. We are students parents and teachers coming together in south london to protest our schools, if you cant see past the whole 'teachers brainingwashing students' thing then sincerly,

PROUD STUDENT OF PRENDERGAST 6TH FORM AND CHARLTON FAN.

Luke. Will reply to other comments when i cam, leading a student protest against some big rich city boys is a busy job. ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• The chant about sheep is because our executive headteacher is called Mr David Sheppard and at his last school he re drew the catchment area to not include a big council estate, the school was called charter. If you want to see the student body as being brainwashed by teachers than i can not change that but im telling you as the student leader of the protest no one is being brainwashed.
  • edited March 2015

Dippenhall Member
    Telling to me that it's teachers and their Union who are protesting, and brain washed students. Ironic chant about "sheep" I thought.

WOW i fully expected a private sector worker to post something like this. When we (students) protested with teachers on thursday we recieved some nasty comments from the posh boys in the city of london with their fancy suits and watches. We are students parents and teachers coming together in south london to protest our schools, if you cant see past the whole 'teachers brainingwashing students' thing then sincerly, FUCK YOU.

Luke. Will reply to other comments when i cam, leading a student protest against some big rich city boys is a busy job. ;)

So rather than aswering those that have the valid question as to the problem with acedemy schools, you decided to throw insults around.

That's bound to get people to support your cause.
  • Could you perhaps give us some reasoned arguments as to why we should support this rather than resort to swearing and explaining how busy you are protesting against the 'big rich city boys'?

Incidentally, who are these 'rich city boys'? Most of the people that I met in the past who worked in the city were hard-working south east londoners, many from council estate backgrounds.
  • oops. im 18 years old and very passionate about this cause and have been all day tweeting facebooking emailing and spreading the word to as many people i possibly can and then to be told im being brainwashed by my teachers is offending, sorry for swearing ui shouldnt have. Theres a leaflet as to why prendergast shouldnt become an academy.

• Dippenhall Member

WOW i fully expected a private sector worker to post something like this. When we (students) protested with teachers on thursday we recieved some nasty comments from the posh boys in the city of london with their fancy suits and watches. We are students parents and teachers coming together in south london to protest our schools, if you cant see past the whole 'teachers brainingwashing students' thing then sincerly, FUCK YOU.

oh dear.
  • oops. im 18 years old and very passionate about this cause and have been all day tweeting facebooking emailing and spreading the word to as many people i possibly can and then to be told im being brainwashed by my teachers is offending, sorry for swearing ui shouldnt have. Theres a leaflet as to why prendergast shouldnt become an academy.

That's what the leader of The Greens said last week. Tell us your policies, err, um, read the leaflet, it's all in there. :smile:

I will always respect a right to protest .... but, as a minimum, I expect you to be able to explain why, rather than refer me to a leaflet!
  • Sponsored links:

• stonemuse said:

oops. im 18 years old and very passionate about this cause and have been all day tweeting facebooking emailing and spreading the word to as many people i possibly can and then to be told im being brainwashed by my teachers is offending, sorry for swearing ui shouldnt have. Theres a leaflet as to why prendergast shouldnt become an academy.

I will always respect a right to protest .... but, as a minimum, I expect you to be able to explain why, rather than refer me to a leaflet!
    Especially when he's leading the entire thing!!!
  • stonemuse said:

oops. im 18 years old and very passionate about this cause and have been all day tweeting facebooking emailing and spreading the word to as many people i possibly can and then to be told im being brainwashed by my teachers is offending, sorry for swearing ui shouldnt have. Theres a leaflet as to why prendergast shouldnt become an academy.

Especially when he's leading the entire thing!!!
    good point
  • "WOW i fully expected a private sector worker to post something like this. When we (students) protested with teachers on thursday we recieved some nasty comments from the posh boys in the city of london with their fancy suits and watches. We are students parents and teachers coming together in south london to protest our schools, if you cant see past the whole 'teachers brainingwashing students' thing then sincerly, FUCK YOU. "

I respect your right to protest and wish you well. However, when you are older you will find that sometimes people try and manipulate you to get your support for their own ends. Also, we have to live alongside people with a different point of view.
  • My Daughter goes to an Academy school and she is doing very well, I am really pleased for her and also find the Teachers are happy in their work enviroment, She is getting grade A's and in some subjects she is graded with Distinction.
  • edited March 2015
    Academies basically are 125 year contracts so if we lose this fight it will change history in Lewisham. Yes some academies are doing well but there is no evidence to suggest academies achieve better grades that was found by the home office report in January 2015. All teachers who work within academies are put under tremendous pressure to achieve good grades, all teachers that work in converted schools are telling teachers within our school they need to fight this with everything they have.

Also the Charter school (David Sheppard's old school which he oversaw the transition to the academy) has been criticized for re drawing the catchment area to no longer include 2 council estates. His wife is an investment banker and so is the head of the leathersellers, the historic 'charitable foundation'. The leathersellers have a long historical affiliation with prendergast and the view amoung intelligent teachers is that this is all about power, for a board of governors to take control of 3 schools in south london which intake students from a wide range of schools and is a federation with 1 school rated outstanding by ofsted and another school rated good and the third does require improve but it was only 4 years ago it was made into a federation and the teachers at hilly fielders were told then that they were becoming a federation to help raise standards. Theres no evidence that suggests academies raise standards anyway. The leathersellers all have enough money anyway so its about power to city boys. Sorry for being rude earlier.
  • The academies that are successful basically kick out students from disadvantaged backgrounds as soon as they get into a little bit of trouble to set examples of them and get rid of them because poorer students on average do worse than middle class students.
  • All teachers who work within academies are put under tremendous pressure to achieve good grades.

How do you know, My Daughter isn't put under pressure as far as i know and the Teachers seem to be Pretty relaxed with the Teaching side of things.

• The academies that are successful basically kick out students from disadvantaged backgrounds as soon as they get into a little bit of trouble to set examples of them and get rid of them because poorer students on average do worse than middle class students.

Ah yes, look at all the evidence you've given for that statement.

Academies basically are 125 year contracts so if we lose this fight it will change history in Lewisham. Yes some academies are doing well but there is no evidence to suggest academies achieve better grades that was found by the home office report in January 2015. All teachers who work within academies are put under tremendous pressure to achieve good grades, all teachers that work in converted schools are telling teachers within our school they need to fight this with everything they have.

Also the Charter school (David Sheppard's old school which he oversaw the transition to the academy) has been criticized for re drawing the catchment area to no longer include 2 council estates. His wife is an investment banker and so is the head of the leathersellers, the historic 'charitable foundation'. The leathersellers have a long historical affiliation with prendergast and the view amoung intelligent teachers is that this is all about power, for a board of governors to take control of 3 schools in south london which intake students from a wide range of schools and is a federation with 1 school rated outstanding by ofsted and another school rated good and the third does require improve but it was only 4 years ago it was made into a federation and the teachers at hilly fielders were told then that they were becoming a federation to help raise standards. Theres no evidence that suggests academies raise standards anyway. The leathersellers all have enough money anyway so its about power to city boys. Sorry for being rude earlier.

Yes, they must be intelligent mustn't they, comrade lewy, because they fit in with your prejudices.
  • Prendergast was a girls only school in Rushey Green, Catford when I was growing up.

Then they knocked my school down, rebuilt it and called it Prendergast.

Lewyaddick, do yourself a favour mate. Fight for whatever you want, but don't expect people to support you if your rude and slagging off people you know nothing about.

I work in the city. Wear a suit. Wear a watch. Born and brought up in Lewisham.

Let's hope you never come to my firm looking for a job because your attitude stinks.