Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Carpet or Laminate

Comments

• Options
    Depends for which room. If laminate make sure you don't buy too cheap.
  • Options
    Would not have laminate again in a kitchen, would have tiles or Lino in a kitchen.
    Carpet in a bedroom/ front room.
  • Options
    I like a nice long shag.
  • Options

I like a nice long shag.

A shag on a shagpile not good for the knees, I'd go for laminate
  • Options
    laminate far too noisy for flats and should be banned - in some leases it is. I would go to war if someone above me installed laminate.
  • Options
    Real wood in the living room and hallway. Carpet on the stairs, landing and bedrooms. Slate tiles in the kitchen and bathroom.
  • Options
    rugs
  • Options
    Real wood floors are normally not much more expensive apart from the dirt cheap laminate.

http://parquet-parquet.co.uk/products-page/reclaimed-parquet/

£16 - £18 sqM
  • Options

I like a nice long shag.

A lot easier to 'clean up' as well
  • Options
    I don't know anyone called Laminate ( @Miserableoldgit )
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I like a nice long shag.

I would, only my wife prefers a mat finish.
  • Options

I like a nice long shag.

I would, only my wife prefers a mat finish.
    Lucky Matt
  • Options
    Bamboo for me!
  • Options
    Ur lucky to have a choice
    Most of my time I have no choice but a concrete floor
  • Options
    Laminate is nice in summer but come winter the warmth of carpet is better. Because of this I recommend refitting flooring twice a year...
  • Options
    Who else has the Fifteen To One theme stuck in their head now?
  • Options
    Talal said:

Laminate is nice in summer but come winter the warmth of carpet is better. Because of this I recommend refitting flooring twice a year...

RU Mog in disguise?
  • Options

Talal said:

RU Mog in disguise?
    Yes.
  • Options
    Hard floor for hallway, carpet everywhere else.
  • Options
    1970's hirsute, not into this modern smooth stuff
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Once you have kids, hard floors (downstairs at least) is the way to go. Unless you want to try to get chocolate, spilt drinks, puke out your carpets all the time.
  • Options

Once you have kids, hard floors (downstairs at least) is the way to go. Unless you want to try to get chocolate, spilt drinks, puke out your carpets all the time.

Easiest way around this is to get the wife and kids to move out. Let them back when the youngest kid is at least 14.
  • Options
    Amtico. Fookin expensive stuff. Think it cost £4,000 to do the conservatory on my ex house but does look the nuts and very good quality...
  • Options

Hard floor for hallway, carpet everywhere else.

Who would you recommend for such a carpeting job mate?
  • Options

Amtico. Fookin expensive stuff. Think it cost £4,000 to do the conservatory on my ex house but does look the nuts and very good quality...

Problem we have had with ours is that if you do get a scratch on it, it looks bloody awful. After having toys thrown all over it, the sun shines in the window and does my floor OCD no good at all.

I find you have to strip it and re coat it once a year to keep it looking sharp.
  • Options
    We redid our place with thick engineered wood flooring throughout, with a high quality underlay as well to help dull any sound. It really doesn't sound anything like the cheap laminate so shouldn't piss of anyone below. A bit of me wishes we'd done carpet in the bedroom now tho.
  • Options
    extra deep pile 100% wool carpet for the bedrooms, ebony floorboards topped with a Persian rug for the living room, granite for the kitchen, and marble staircases, bathroom and hallway ;-)
  • Options

I did this for the entire ground floor and bathrooms. But i went with oak stair treds and oak on the landing and througout the bedrooms. As Addicted good quality underlay, it makes an enormous difference.
    Easy to keep the house clean apparently (so she tells me)
  • Options

Real wood in the living room and hallway. Carpet on the stairs, landing and bedrooms. Slate tiles in the kitchen and bathroom.

Do you live in my house?
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Do you live in my house?
    Just visits when you're not there Dave ;-)