Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MLS

Comments

• Options
    I mentioned that before on the designated players being midfield or forwards. It does make for an exciting league and attacking play is great with not so great defending. Looking forward to the Whitecaps in Portland tonight. Cannot beat a Cascadia Cup game.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Chicago need someone. Bloody shocking for a 'franchise' that storied and large.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Is there a wage cap in the MLS league?
  • Options
    PL54 said:

Is there a wage cap in the MLS league?

I think there is a salary cap applied to each team as a whole, outside of that clubs can sign designated players - the list of DP's is in the article linked. BWP is on $660k a year at the moment - about £8000 a week.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Designated_Player_Rule
  • Options
    So what would Stevie Me picked up?
  • Options
    Good grief - Beckham took $32.5m in his 5 years there

Any wage cap is an irrelevance if they can still pay those numbers
  • Options
    'Normal' players get paid on average 90k a year, but this is inflated by those on 'designated player' salaries. The fact is a right back can get paid 36k a year playing alongside Kaka who is getting $7m. How team managers instill kinship is a mystery, and the managers get paid shit as well!
  • Options

'Normal' players get paid on average 90k a year, but this is inflated by those on 'designated player' salaries. The fact is a right back can get paid 36k a year playing alongside Kaka who is getting $7m. How team managers instill kinship is a mystery, and the managers get paid shit as well!

I suppose some of the players just see it as an honour to play alongside people like Beckham, Gerrard, Pirlo, Kaka, Giovinco, Martins, Dempsey, Donovan, Henry, Villa, Lampard and Corey Gibbs
  • Options
    PL54 said:

Good grief - Beckham took $32.5m in his 5 years there

Any wage cap is an irrelevance if they can still pay those numbers

I'm pretty sure the designated player rule was brought in just for Beckham - it was originally known as the "Beckham Rule"
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Correct @SE9ADDICK The MLS was desperate not to get themselves into the same mess as the NASL did in the 80's. In many ways they haven't with new soccer specific stadiums, a growing and competitve league, decent crowds and a more than decent national team. However they still need to throw in a Beckham, Pirlo and Gerrard to keep the sports fans interest and just as important keep and attempt to grow the media coverage.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Interesting that one of the best and most impactful DPs also gets paid the least - Diego Valeri is Claus Jensen with hair & an Argentinian passport. Watch him most weeks for the Timbers - a great player.

http://youtu.be/QEeS7Tl1S-M

• Options
    se9addick said:

Nice finish but poor Goalkeeping though

I often think that the attacking play in the MLS is of a very good standard but the defenders and goalkeeping can be pretty poor which is why you get quite a lot of high scoring games.

Odd when you consider how many good goalkeepers the USA national team have had over the years.
    That is a good observation ... but you forgot to mention that the refs are Sunday league as best.
  • Options
    http://www.teamtalk.com/news/2483/9925961/Pirlo-debuts-in-eight-goal-thriller

Pirlo deserves to go over there and live the life. But it is such a shame he's not playing in the champions league etc still. He is like Federer, his style of play means he could compete at the very top until he is like 40.
  • Options
    NYFC & Orlando game today had the worst defending I've seen. Whitecaps win again, 2nd in the Western keeping ahead of the big spending LA & Seattle.
  • Options
    pjs35 said:

NYFC & Orlando game today had the worst defending I've seen. Whitecaps win again, 2nd in the Western keeping ahead of the big spending LA & Seattle.

The last 2 MLS games I watched both involved NYFC and both had 8 goals lol
  • Options

pjs35 said:

The last 2 MLS games I watched both involved NYFC and both had 8 goals lol
    Watching another one now, only 2 goals so far come on NYCFC, Dont let me down
  • Options
    what a boring game only 5 goals
  • Options
    Great report Swerve. I enjoy the MLS - it's great that the game is catching on over here - we have tickets for the California Classico in a few weeks which should be fun.
  • Options
    Ditto. Great post Swerve. Orlando will be in a much better place when they get their soccer specific stadium from next season. Great loacation a mile from the Citrus Bowl and nearer to downtown.

http://www.cityoforlando.net/venues/mls-soccer-stadium/stadium-facts/
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My team Vancouver Whitecaps smashed Seattle Sounders 3-0 at Century Links Field in front of 53,000 on Saturday night. We have one of the best defences in the MLS and an average age of 23. No overage Dp's. Carl Robinson has done a great job with the squad. Now play The Sounders again on Wednesday in the America's version of the Champion's league. I'll be going to this one. Love it when we beat Seattle!
  • Options
    pjs35 said:

My team Vancouver Whitecaps smashed Seattle Sounders 3-0 at Century Links Field in front of 53,000 on Saturday night. We have one of the best defences in the MLS and an average age of 23. No overage Dp's. Carl Robinson has done a great job with the squad. Now play The Sounders again on Wednesday in the America's version of the Champion's league. I'll be going to this one. Love it when we beat Seattle!

I don't know if the Whitecaps won or the Sounders gave it away. Schoolboy defending on the first 2 goals.
  • Options
    Unbelievable game last night - Portland Timbers (my team) beat Kansas City on pens A went right down to the keepers taking kicks - the Portland keeper scored theirs missed. Incredible scenes - the game is very much alive over here!!
  • Options
    Oakster said:

Unbelievable game last night - Portland Timbers (my team) beat Kansas City on pens A went right down to the keepers taking kicks - the Portland keeper scored theirs missed. Incredible scenes - the game is very much alive over here!!

Penalties at the end of a league game or a play off?
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    ads said:

Oakster said:

Penalties at the end of a league game or a play off?
    Play Off 1st Round ads.

Stevie G and LA were knocked out last night as well...

Portland is about a 12 hour drive from here (Alberta) so pretty local!! - started following them not long after we emigrated and now we watch every game with the occasional trip down there to see them live - great to be able to watch games at a decent hour & a mighty fine City as well.
  • Options
    edited November 2015

Under the 5-year collective bargaining agreement signed in March the league minimum salary is $60,000 but players like dos Santos and Robbie Keane make more than $4 million per year while Stevie G is banking more than $6 million per year.

The Seattle Sounders for 2015 have a huge disparity from high to low: high - Clint Dempsey @ $4,505,941 low - 13 players make less than $75,000. Charlie Lyon and Oniel Fisher make $50,000.

Agree with ChicagoAddick, don't know how manager can instill team spirit with such disparity in salaries.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Portland Timbers just mad the final - we will meet New York or Columbus in the final. Currently trying to persuade the Missus that it's a good idea to head over for the final next weekend.
  • Options
    Crazy finish to the other semi final, Columbus leading 2-0 on aggregate with New York. In the 92nd minute NY pull one back with 2 more extra time minutes to go - then in the final second BWP hits the post with a header for NY.

Columbus - Portland final next weekend in Ohio.
  • Options
    I'd like to go to a Timbers game, atmosphere looks amazing
  • Options
    Rothko said:

I'd like to go to a Timbers game, atmosphere looks amazing

It is indeed - it's also an atmospheric, old city centre stadium - the fact you can buy really good beer and take it to your seat really helps too!