Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Poor return on the money in the English game

13»

Comments

• Options

@PragueAddick So each club in Bundesliga 2 receives €7m. How does that compare with payments to clubs in the Championship?

Do you know it's that figure? I certainly didn't. I'd be interested if you have a source which shows the details.

We know that the basic deal for Charlton is £3m, Katrien confirmed that on the programme. However several championship clubs get as much as five times as much, in parachute payments. But in the Bundesliga, the relative gap between The second and top tier in terms of TV money will be much smaller, that much is clear. And for me, that's a good thing and key to the good health of the German game.
    The 4 year deal starting 2013/14 was for 2.5 billion euros. Therefore I just divided the figure by 4 (years) then by 5 (20%) then finally by 18 (clubs in Bundesliga 2) = 7 million euros.
    Ah, right, I had never seen the figure for the overall deal. Thanks a lot. That would imply that the average payout in Bundesliga 1 would be €28m, so indeed the gap in revenue between the two leagues is much narrower.(healthy, in my view). There is apparently a merit element based on final positions but you've clarified the relative balance, which is very useful.
  • Options

Thing is people say that English talent shouldnt automatically be given a chance and that they should only get in ahead of foreign players if they're better than them but the trouble is those foreign players include the likes of Kleberson and Eric Djemba-Djemba; Bosko Balaban and Ali Daei, the list is endless where crap foreign players are being given more opportunities in the English game than our own unproven kids.

Of course Joe Gomez has proven that he's been a potential talent for years but Bob Peeters and Guy Luzon could easily have taken the cowards route and could have though... 17-years old as a Defender, too soon to be thrown in, I'll go for 25-year old who has played over 100-appearances at club level on the continent, instead they didnt and Joe Gomez has proven that he should be in the First-Team and that 25-year old could easily have been an expensive flop whereas we've filled a position in our squad for nothing.

Overall one way to help the English game is to limit the loan market, teams are currently dictated too, stating that only a certain number can be brought into a club whilst there seems to be no rules that state how many players a club can loan out (i.e. Chelsea the perfect example), maybe if you limit the number that can go outwards, clubs like Chelsea wont be so eager to snap up players and then discard them for nothing a few months later

There have been a great many foreign players who have improved our game, but for every Zola, Bergkamp & Ronaldo there are a dozen Djemba-Djembas. This season alone we have been blessed by seeing the following in the Premier League; Di Michelis, Mangala, Kolarov, Fernando, Saleh, Remy, Lovren, Sakho, Borini, Balotelli, Rafael, Gouffran, Obertan, Taarabt, Altidore, Vergini, Soldado, Pauliniho, Lamela, Fazio, Zarate, etc etc

Even Toure & Di Maria are struggling

The stand out player in the Premier League this season has been Harry Kane and look at how long it took Spurs to drop Soldado

The points about the loan market are also valid. And Chelsea's abuse of this system is a savage indictment of the rules & regs in the Premier League. Take Bamford for example. Scored goals everywhere he's been and yet he has about as much chance of playing for Chelsea as I do.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

I find it depressing that people steal music from the internet and pass it around free to each other, but pay actual money to subscribe to Sky Television for football. I know it is 'wrong' to watch pirate streams of football on the computer, but I know I feel more at ease doing that than not paying for music.
    Especially when you have pictures of Liam Ridgewell wiping his arse with a £50 note. The average single persons old age pension for the last decade has been £92 per week.
    I have never subscribed to Sky Television and never will, I will either go to the pub, or search for a pirate stream if I want to watch these brilliantly talented arseholes play football.
    I have also discovered how enjoyable it has been to go to non league football this season. £4 to get in, easy to get in, a laugh as well, reasonable football, nice atmosphere, these factors compensate for missing out on seeing better players and not lining Liam Ridgewell's underpants.
    If we go up I would use the money to battern down the infrastructure at Charlton, pay off the debts, get the structure right, keep the prices low, and take the relegation hit. I would not throw money away on players, but use the parachute money to stabalise the club.

Obviously, Sky's prices are going up. The Sport package is now £47, I'm assuming if people have Sky, this makes up over 70% of the reason they have Sky. Because of this mega deal I think prices will continue to rise, more and more people will do as you say above. To be honest, I have no problem with it. The game simply isn't worth the prices they are charging at the moment. The only thing they can rely on is that people will pay for football because your love of the sport or the love of your club probably outweighs financial rationality (well I'll keep paying anyway, certainly for Charlton). I'm not sure what the financial limit is that I would stop paying for Charlton.

Unfortunately it is like a drug for me.
  • Options
    When I was watching the Bradford v Reading game with my mum earlier this month, I mentioned to her that Phil Parkinson, our ex-manager, was on a wage of £1000 per week at Bradford a couple of years ago while Rooney was earning £300,000 per week at ManU. I also told her about the Premier League's £5b TV rights deal. Then she asked me if that money will be distrubuted to lower league clubs like us and Bradford etc. I said I don't know. Even if it will, there won't be much left for us I guess. Then she kept saying how the English footballing authorities could let this happen, the financial gap between the top clubs and the ones below the Premier League is simply unreal.

I think she has a point. It's absolutely unfair that players like Sterling, Henderson (Liverpool's, not ours) who have just had one or two great sesasons can turn down offers like £100,000+ per week while people who have been in the same 'industry' for decades are literally working for minimum wages. I know it's been like this for many years but I still find it somewhat outrageous. Personally I quite like watching Premier League games because of the extreme intensity, high tempo (Chelsea v Southampton last Sunday for example). But are these players really good enough to have a salary 100 times more than those of the lower league managers and players? I work in the banking business and it's a well-known fact that senior execs earn a HUGE lot of money every year but even in banking you'll never find an income gap like that.
  • Options
    Don't think I'll ever get Sky Sports. If I want to watch a game that badly I'll go to the pub with my mates, not sit at home on my own. I get BT Sport free too. And anything else I want to watch ad hoc I can stream legally acquire.
  • Options

When I was watching the Bradford v Reading game with my mum earlier this month, I mentioned to her that Phil Parkinson, our ex-manager, was on a wage of £1000 per week at Bradford a couple of years ago while Rooney was earning £300,000 per week at ManU. I also told her about the Premier League's £5b TV rights deal. Then she asked me if that money will be distrubuted to lower league clubs like us and Bradford etc. I said I don't know. Even if it will, there won't be much left for us I guess. Then she kept saying how the English footballing authorities could let this happen, the financial gap between the top clubs and the ones below the Premier League is simply unreal.

I think she has a point. It's absolutely unfair that players like Sterling, Henderson (Liverpool's, not ours) who have just had one or two great sesasons can turn down offers like £100,000+ per week while people who have been in the same 'industry' for decades are literally working for minimum wages. I know it's been like this for many years but I still find it somewhat outrageous. Personally I quite like watching Premier League games because of the extreme intensity, high tempo (Chelsea v Southampton last Sunday for example). But are these players really good enough to have a salary 100 times more than those of the lower league managers and players? I work in the banking business and it's a well-known fact that senior execs earn a HUGE lot of money every year but even in banking you'll never find an income gap like that.

You do in England Jessie...
  • Options

And Spain does have 2 weeks off over Christmas and New year.

In that time, some British teams can play 4/5 times.

The weather point is a bit over the top as well ( I thought it was me that over reacts?). How many Premier League games in the last few years have been called off due to weather or safety reasons? I can only think of Sunderland when it was windy.

Also I don't see a problem in clubs going overseas in that time, if the players are being rested better than they would in a busy Xmas schedule. The reason it back fired on city is because they did it right after a league game and before an FA Cup tie.

I agree it comes down to money tho and the TV companies have got the premier league by the nuts.

As I also said having Christmas off shouldn't be an option in England. In Spain they have Christmas off, this year that happened to be a fortnight because of where it fell. I know it isn't common for Premier League games to be called off, but it can happen, and at any time between November and March.

I also mentioned earlier that Barcelona will play more games than City this season - between Jan 4 and Feb 28 they played 15 games compared with City's 10, for example.

Sorry mate, they do little enough for their money without having to have a little rest... :wink:
  • Options

IA stat doesn't show the points gained by bottom teams against say top 6 teams in their divisions.

I believe Burnley have taken 40% of their points against the top 7 teams.

If Burnley are able to pick up so many points against the "top 7 teams", what does that tell you about the quality of the "top 7 teams"?
  • Options

Man City will play 51 matches this season, Barcelona at least 58.

I'd say out of those 58 games, 35-40 will be competitive. Almost all of Man Citys will be. The shit teams in La Liga roll over much easier than Burnley or Qpr.

There is no denying that the quality of player at Barca is a lot better but the English game has clear effects on players at this stage of the season.

The Premier League needs a winter break.
    Sorry Gary thats rubbish. Proved quite easily by the years (approx 04-09) when our teams were playing the same amount of games as now and were also making the later stages of these european competitions. Even Boro and Fulham in the Europa too.

Our teams just ain't good enough atm to challenge in europe and I for one think it's hilarious.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2015
    IA said:

IA stat doesn't show the points gained by bottom teams against say top 6 teams in their divisions.

If Burnley are able to pick up so many points against the "top 7 teams", what does that tell you about the quality of the "top 7 teams"?
    Or the more evenly distributed talent in the Premier league than La Liga
  • Options

Great post. The Premier League is a charlatan. Money sucking, greed fuelled monster. I have nothing but contempt for it.

Agree....but we all want Charlton there though.
  • Options

Great post. The Premier League is a charlatan. Money sucking, greed fuelled monster. I have nothing but contempt for it.

Agree....but we all want Charlton there though.
    True in the main but the longer we go on not being in it the less important it seems to be becoming. To me anyway, and I think others are looking at it in the same way. Would I take promotion? Of course I would but I'm not going sulk all summer either when it doesn't happen.
  • Options
    IAIA
    edited March 2015

IA said:

Or answering questions with questions?

To answer yours, it says the talent at the top is not much better than Burnley's.
  • Options
    IA said:

IA said:

Or answering questions with questions?
    I dunno do you?
  • Options
    Watching the Chelsea game. I'm sure they will go onto win the prem, but they look a shambles at the moment, given the standard they should be at.

The way this title race has sort of come back to life just looks like the winner will the best of a bad bunch. Arsenal aren't winners, there's no other way to describe them. City basically got the title last year through Liverpool blowing it, if they get it again then it will be Chelsea that have blown it. Really not feeling the Prem and the many superstars at the mo......

• Options
    The Premier League is the most overhyped league in the world in terms of quality. Not a single decent team in it.

Competitive, yes. Entertaining, at times. But full of quality? No chance. No matter how much the bellends at Sky try and big it up.