Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Ath vs Reading | Sat 21st Mar 2015 | Match Preview, Teams, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic vs Reading
3pm Kick-Off
Referee – DARREN DEADMAN

INTRODUCTION

Following last Saturday’s disappointing defeat to Blackburn, a reaction was needed at Blackpool last Tuesday and another 3-0 result, was exactly what was required.

To make matters even better, was the fact that manager Guy Luzon was able to rotate his squad and use players such as Simon Church, who has not featured much this season, and still got on the scoresheet.

However, Luzon and the Addicks fans will not want to stop there especially as Saturday sees The Valley play host to Reading, who managed to reach the semi-finals of the FA Cup last Monday following a 3-0 victory over Phil Parkinson’s Bradford.

Don’t forget that Saturday is Charlton Upbeats day which will mean as much to a lot of people as the result itself, so let’s give them a huge reception when they are paraded around the pitch.

THE OPPOSITION

Despite their excellent FA Cup run, Reading have struggled in the league this season, but currently being ten points ahead of the relegation zone, means they are more than likely to be playing Championship football again next season.

Currently in 18th place, the Royals have only won one league game in their last five matches, although the disturbance of the FA Cup is probably the main factor for their lack of form in the league.

The excuse of the FA Cup could definitely be associated with the 4-1 defeat to Watford last weekend, where manager Steve Clarke rested a number of players for the Bradford tie.

However, despite their recent poor league form, Clarke has definitely added something different to Reading since he took over in December. His experience and consistency will mean that the Royals will be a much tougher opposition than the side that was rather disappointing in the 1-0 defeat to the Addicks last November.

ONE TO WATCH –NATHANIEL CHALOBAH

My player to watch this weekend is Reading midfielder: Nathaniel Chalobah.

The versatile Chelsea loanee is my player to watch this weekend as he is a very talented youngster who is tipped to make the top-level.

The 20-year-old has been on loan to Watford, Middlesbrough, Nottingham Forest and Burnley in recent seasons but has made a name for himself again at Reading.

Under Clarke, he will no doubt improve especially with the manager’s connections with Chelsea as a former coach and player.

He ran the show for Reading last Monday against Bradford and can produce moments such as this goal against Sheffield Wednesday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-S2JeN1HvQ

LINE-UP

Following a few changes for the game against Blackpool on Tuesday, Luzon will have a number of selection headaches for the upcoming game against Reading.

However, one player more than likely to keep his place is Stephen Henderson, who has been in great form since returning from injury.

Tal Ben Haim will be pushing to start in place of Joe Gomez, but following the youngster’s impressive performance in midweek, he might get the nod over the Israeli defender.

In midfield, Yoni Buyens is likely to return to the starting eleven in place of Alou Diarra, while Frederic Bulot and Chris Eagles will be competing for a place on the wing.

Upfront, Church may be given another chance following his goal in midweek but it's likely that Igor Vetokele will return to continue his impressive strike partnership with Tony Watt.

………………………..Henderson………………….

Solly………....Gomez……………Johnson…….Fox

JBG…………...Buyens………......Cousins……Eagles

.....................Watt..................Vetokele........

PREDICTION

Another win. MOTM: the upbeats.

Charlton Athletic 2-1 Reading

Comments

• Options
    A humdinger 3-2 to The Addicks

It doesn't really matter, Luzon our leader has led us to safety

Come on Brentford !

• Options
    Missing this one. Reckon it will be 1-1. Whatever the result I suspect it will be a better game than the Lechia Gdnask one I'll be watching!
  • Options
    Just the five for the Addicks . Goals from Vetokele (2) , Watt , Bulot and Buyens. 5-0
  • Options
    I expect another win against a slightly distracted Reading side with little to play for in the league. Eagles did go off with a knock so I imagine the rested Bulot will replace him
  • Options
    Keeping the dream alive 3-0 COYA's
  • Options
    A ruthless 4-0 to Charlton
    Watt and Vetokele each with a double.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    A few of the lads should be good and rested and ready for Reading (lol). Il say the good form will continue, 2-0'to Guy Luzon's Red Army. Tony Watt and Joe Gomez to bag the goals
  • Options
    2-0. Watt with both.
  • Options
    Comfortable home win 4-0

Hope I haven't infringed a copyright.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    3-1 addicks match thread from 2 pm......don't forget to donate to the upbeats on the Just giving page....this will be a great day all round......if commentary on Upbeats game is happening, I'll do a match thread on them.
  • Options
    Never forgotten the 4-2 win over Reading when we were relegated from the Championship... Probably our best match in what was an awful season
  • Options
    Home win. 1-0

Did I just say that?
  • Options
    2-1.
    Pleased to see Darren Deadman back officiating at The Valley. Best ref in the football league.
  • Options

2-1.
    Pleased to see Darren Deadman back officiating at The Valley. Best ref in the football league.

Have to agree... Deadman is one of the better refs in the Football League... Wasnt he the guy who refused to book Billy Sharp for taking his shirt off after the death of his baby?
  • Options

2-1.

Have to agree... Deadman is one of the better refs in the Football League... Wasnt he the guy who refused to book Billy Sharp for taking his shirt off after the death of his baby?
    Yes.

• Options
    seven goal thriller with Church netting against his old club
  • Options
    Watt, Eagles and Cousins all picked up injuries in the game on the beach, so let's hope that they are fit, I'd go with Henry's line up and 1-1
  • Options
    Reading supporting friend is coming for this one, bringing his three lads (youngest is 5). Any suggestions as to a good place to meet for a couple of drinks before the game? They will be dressed from head to toe in official Reading merchandise.
  • Options
    After walking the 8miles in aid of the Upbeats. I will probably be fast asleep in my seat in the upper west. So to keep me awake needs lots of goals.

4-2 to GL's Red and to much White Army.

I will donate £5 for every goal we score to the Upbeats.

If anybody else fancies doing the same, or even donating say 10% of your winning bets on Saturday here is the link.

http://www.justgiving.com/charltonupbeatsday2015
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Uboat said:

Reading supporting friend is coming for this one, bringing his three lads (youngest is 5). Any suggestions as to a good place to meet for a couple of drinks before the game? They will be dressed from head to toe in official Reading merchandise.

The Rose of Denmark was always welcoming to away supporters (pre-match only). Not been pre-match for a long while, so don't know if this is still the case.
  • Options
    Like most really enjoyed the last few weeks, so hoping for a few goals, hats off to the walkers, 4-2.
  • Options

Uboat said:

The Rose of Denmark was always welcoming to away supporters (pre-match only). Not been pre-match for a long while, so don't know if this is still the case.
    It's still good. When I walk past, plenty of away shirts
  • Options
    I'm keen to win this as it represents one of only a few doubles we can do this season
  • Options

COYA!
  • Options
    The only annoying thing is that even (of course), we win, it is unlikely we will move up the league. But moving further away from Millwall would be nice, as well as keeping the winning run going and perhaps the players may get their unlikely looking bonus yet
  • Options
    First (and hopefully only) home game I'm missing this season. Hard to call it. Both teams may lack that bit of motivation that being in safe mid table seems to kill at this time of year. Think we'll win if we can get up for it
  • Options
    I just hope Igor does well / scores
  • Options

I'd go with Henry's line up

????

• Options

2-1.

He comes from Chatteris a small town in Cambridgeshire where i work, i dont know him but guys at work say he is a decent guy. A little bit of useless and meaningless information!