Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Contract renewals for next season

With now only 3 and a half months until contracts start running out for players in our squad, which ones would you want to keep past this season and which ones would you let go?

The list:

Neil Etheridge
Tal Ben Haim
Oguchi Onyewu
Roger Johnson
Lawrie Wilson
Alou Diarra
Chris Eagles
Simon Church

Comments

• Ben Haim... Roger Johnson... Alou Diarra... Chris Eagles... Simon Church.

Would also sell Bikey
  • With now only 3 and a half months until contracts start running out for players in our squad, which ones would you want to keep past this season and which ones would you let go?

The list:

Neil Etheridge
    Tal Ben Haim
    Oguchi Onyewu
    Roger Johnson
    Lawrie Wilson
    Alou Diarra
    Chris Eagles
    Simon Church

There are a few more than the above out of contract
  • With now only 3 and a half months until contracts start running out for players in our squad, which ones would you want to keep past this season and which ones would you let go?

The list:

Neil Etheridge
    Tal Ben Haim
    Oguchi Onyewu
    Roger Johnson
    Lawrie Wilson
    Alou Diarra
    Chris Eagles
    Simon Church

There are a few more than the above out of contract
    Like who?

Used: http://www.charltonlife.com/discussion/66874/updated-squad-list-8-march-2015

The U21 squad didn't have expiry dates.
  • I think the thread is impossible to answer really. It's more of a case that - here's the budget, this is what each player costs, which would you choose?
  • Of those mentioned:

Neil Etheridge - No
    Tal Ben Haim - 1 year
    Oguchi Onyewu - No
    Roger Johnson - 2 year
    Lawrie Wilson - 1 year
    Alou Diarra - 1 year
    Chris Eagles - 2 year
    Simon Church - No
  • Neil Etheridge No
    Tal Ben Haim Definitely yes
    Oguchi Onyewu No
    Roger Johnson Definitely Yes
    Lawrie Wilson Yes
    Alou Diarra Yes
    Chris Eagles Yes
    Simon Church No
  • Agree with Pedro
  • Johnson, Diarra & Eagles

TBH would be good but I think he will want to go elsewhere at the end of the season.
  • Neil Etheridge - not needed
    Tal Ben Haim - Yes, why not 1 year
    Oguchi Onyewu - not needed
    Roger Johnson - Yes, why not 1 year
    Lawrie Wilson - not sure, and he can prob do better elsewhere.
    Alou Diarra - goodbyeee Diarra
    Chris Eagles - not sure yet, but maybe.
    Simon Church - not under any circumstances
  • Sponsored links:

• A lot depends on our budget and how much they would want in wages . This is my assessment

Neil Etheridge No . Unless we kept him as a number 3/4 and loaned him out for a season similar to Nick Pope . I do think he has potential .David Button looked much better as Brentford's keeper after 2 years consistent first team football .
    Tal Ben Haim Yes .A star for us this year . His family is based in London so fingers crossed .
    Oguchi Onyewu No . I was surprised we extended his deal until the end of the window I had thought he was destined for the MLS .
    Roger Johnson Yes . As one of four CB's to rotate he would be excellent .
    Lawrie Wilson No . I can't see him featuring as a regular next season and to be fair to him he needs to be playing at this stage in his career.
    Alou Diarra Yes . In football terms , we need cover in midfield and he is also an accomplished at centre back as well . The downside would be his age and possible wage demands .
    Chris Eagles Yes . Shown a good attitude since arriving and I wish we had picked him up earlier in the season .
    Simon Church No . Like Wilson at this stage I think he needs to play . That said ,we do need at least two new strikers for next year's squad .
  • Of the ones listed

Neil Etheridge - no
    Tal Ben Haim - maybe, depending on who else is resigned
    Oguchi Onyewu - no
    Roger Johnson - yes if the wages are sensible
    Lawrie Wilson - probably better for him to move on and get more 1st team football
    Alou Diarra - probable yes
    Chris Eagles - yes if the wages are sensible
    Simon Church - probably better for him to move on and get more 1st team football
  • Neil Etheridge - let go
    Tal Ben Haim - keep
    Oguchi Onyewu - let go
    Roger Johnson - keep
    Lawrie Wilson - let go
    Alou Diarra - keep
    Chris Eagles - keep
    Simon Church - most probably let go. But we need 4 senior strikers. Watt and Igor plus a new target man. And if he can carry on in the same vein between now and the end of the season then could he be the 4th? All depends on if we can get someone else in.
  • pretty sure Bikey is out of contract too

The list:

Neil Etheridge
    Tal Ben Haim Yes for ability and experience
    Oguchi Onyewu Not convinced
    Roger Johnson Yes as back up and team building for the kids
    Lawrie Wilson
    Alou Diarra Not convinced and expensive
    Chris Eagles Yes as back up and team building for the kids
    Simon Church You know what, just maybe yes

• pretty sure Bikey is out of contract too

He signed a two year contract last summer .

I too would sell him because in my view he is currently our 4th / 5th choice behind Johnson , TBH , Gomez and possibly Diarra.
  • Henry Irving's squad list gives details of when contracts expire, what year rather than exactly when.
    A contract expiring in 2016 ? .. that could mean anytime from 1/1/2016 to 31/12/2016, hopefully, the majority of the contracts expire sometime in the summer of 2016.

As to the quoted examples of contracted players, who to keep and who to not re-sign:

Neil Etheridge NO
    Tal Ben Haim YES 1year
    Oguchi Onyewu NO
    Roger Johnson YES 2 years
    Lawrie Wilson YES 1 year
    Alou Diarra YES 1 year
    Chris Eagles YES 2 years
    Simon Church YES 1 year

More of a worry, can we keep G'sson, Buyens and Bulot
  • edited March 2015

Henry Irving's squad list gives details of when contracts expire, what year rather than exactly when.
    A contract expiring in 2016 ? .. that could mean anytime from 1/1/2016 to 31/12/2016, hopefully, the majority of the contracts expire sometime in the summer of 2016.

Contracts expire on 30th June each year, unless they are for periods of less than a year (like a 3-month contract). All those listed above have contracts that will expire on 30th June this year, and any listed for 2016 will expire on 30th June 2016, etc.

• I forgot we even still had Onyewu until I saw this thread.
  • Neil Etheridge-release
    Tal Ben Haim-keep
    Oguchi Onyewu-release
    Roger Johnson-release
    Lawrie Wilson-release with all best wishes
    Alou Diarra-release
    Chris Eagles-release
    Simon Church-release with all best wishes
    Bikey-release
    Buyens-return
    Bulot-return
    Reza-sell
    PP-sell
    Nego=sell
    Koc-sell
    Lepoint-sell
    Dimi-sell
    Harriott-only sell for a decentish offer.
    Pigott-only sell for a decentish offer.
    Jacko- with huge regret allow to go to a final decent contract, or move upstairs
    Ansah-sell or free transfer
    Munns and Daniel I believe are being released.

That would leave a squad of:

Henderson
    Pope
    Gomez
    Gudmusson
    Solly
    Fox
    TBH
    Moussa (?)
    Possibly Harriott
    Possibly Piggott
    Wiggins
    Cousins
    Igor
    Lennon
    Watt
    Aherne-Grant
    Mitov
    promote Holmes-Dennis
    promote Obileye
    promote Muldoon

Maybe promote another group of U21's, certainly Archie Edwards, but there is a lot of potential there, and a promoted group, possibly loaned out for experience will certainly pay dividends with a couple of them, Second years scholars who get released all have a chance to continue as footballers if they have the right attitude.

So from my point of view we would end up with a squad of 22 at most.
    If any 'biggies' like Igor are sold, then use that money to strengthen, and then it will be up to Roland to see if he can find about £10-15 million to add real quality, especially in midfield and central defence, and add another decent striker.

So there you have it, a plan...obviously there are different opinions and such like, but I will be watching to see how close my plan is to what happens. The huge caveat is me suggesting that Roland spends money.

• Sponsored links:

• Pedro45 said:

Henry Irving's squad list gives details of when contracts expire, what year rather than exactly when.

Contracts expire on 30th June each year, unless they are for periods of less than a year (like a 3-month contract). All those listed above have contracts that will expire on 30th June this year.

Thanks for the info @Pedro45 ((:>)
  • As long as Wilson leaves I don't care !
  • What about Phillips the U21 Goalkeeper.
  • Katrien wants to keep Eagles, Johnson and rest on tenderhooks till end of season so they don't let up. Tal has been consistent most of season but we don't want to hold back Gomez any longer, so maybe depends on TBH.
    Lawrie may be better moving on now as can't see him playing much now.
    Eagles is great to have in squad every week as is so experience now and has proved already will chip in with goals.
    Diarra if price is right but feel they would get Milos back as defensive mid fielder when spurs make up their mind(according to our CEO)
    Is Church going to do a Dale Stevens and play his best football in the last few months of contract.
  • seth plum said:

Neil Etheridge-release
    Tal Ben Haim-keep
    Oguchi Onyewu-release
    Roger Johnson-release
    Alou Diarra-release
    Chris Eagles-release
    Bikey-release
    Buyens-return
    Bulot-return
    Reza-sell
    PP-sell
    Nego=sell
    Koc-sell
    Lepoint-sell
    Dimi-sell
    Jacko- with huge regret allow to go to a final decent contract, or move upstairs

Henderson
    Pope
    Gomez
    Gudmusson
    Solly
    Fox
    TBH
    Moussa (?)
    Possibly Harriott
    Possibly Piggott
    Wiggins
    Cousins
    Igor
    Lennon
    Watt
    Aherne-Grant
    Mitov
    promote Holmes-Dennis
    promote Obileye
    promote Muldoon

Maybe promote another group of U21's, certainly Archie Edwards, but there is a lot of potential there, and a promoted group, possibly loaned out for experience will certainly pay dividends with a couple of them, Second years scholars who get released all have a chance to continue as footballers if they have the right attitude.

If any 'biggies' like Igor are sold, then use that money to strengthen, and then it will be up to Roland to see if he can find about £10-15 million to add real quality, especially in midfield and central defence, and add another decent striker.

So there you have it, a plan...obviously there are different opinions and such like, but I will be watching to see how close my plan is to what happens. The huge caveat is me suggesting that Roland spends money.

There are only 8 players with any experience in your squad. We would sink like a stone.
  • seth plum said:

Neil Etheridge-release
    Tal Ben Haim-keep
    Oguchi Onyewu-release
    Roger Johnson-release
    Alou Diarra-release
    Chris Eagles-release
    Bikey-release
    Buyens-return
    Bulot-return
    Reza-sell
    PP-sell
    Nego=sell
    Koc-sell
    Lepoint-sell
    Dimi-sell

Henderson
    Pope
    Gomez
    Gudmusson
    Solly
    Fox
    TBH
    Moussa (?)
    Possibly Harriott
    Possibly Piggott
    Wiggins
    Cousins
    Igor
    Lennon
    Watt
    Aherne-Grant
    Mitov
    promote Holmes-Dennis
    promote Obileye
    promote Muldoon

your 'plan' has all the appeal of a maiden voyage on the Titanic .. too many possibles, not enough experience, too many hoped for loan returnees and worst of all you're advocating getting rid of the majority of players (Eagles, Johnson, Diarra) who've led to the recent, vast improvement in results and performances.
    Your posts are usually full of good sense and good ideas, but not this one
  • Neil Etheridge - no
    Tal Ben Haim - yes
    Oguchi Onyewu - no
    Roger Johnson - yes
    Lawrie Wilson - no
    Alou Diarra - yes
    Chris Eagles - yes
    Simon Church - possibly a 1 year deal if we failed to secure another striker
  • I make it more than 8 with experience;
    I'd forgotten about Phillips.
    I have suggested spending on experience.
    I want there to be plenty of room for the Academy players to have a chance, in order to give the academy more meaning.

I am not pretending my plan is full of good sense and good ideas, I put it out there as something to pivot around.
    I take the point about Eagles Johnson and Diarra, but I am worried in their cases that if they secure a contract that has eluded them elsewhere, then the reasons why they couldn't get gig's elsewhere might emerge.

I am absolutely not saying that my post is a demand of any sort, but more what I would be inclined to do.
  • Neil Etheridge - no
    Tal Ben Haim - No
    Oguchi Onyewu - no
    Roger Johnson - yes
    Lawrie Wilson - no ( Like Wilson but think it might be good for him to move on)
    Alou Diarra - No
    Chris Eagles - Yes
    Simon Church - Yes

The list:

Neil Etheridge
    Tal Ben Haim
    Oguchi Onyewu
    Roger Johnson
    Lawrie Wilson
    Alou Diarra
    Chris Eagles
    Simon Church

Keep: Ben Haim, Johnson, Diarra and Eagles.