Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

1966 World Cup Final - were you there or do you know anyone who was?

Okay, I don't expect many - if any - Lifers to have been at Wembley for the greatest day in English sporting history (but please feel free to prove me wrong). But do you have any relatives, friends, contacts who were there in your wider circle? There are a couple of very exciting projects taking place that I'm involved in and I'm trying to seek as many people who were at the Final as possible. If not, then maybe you know someone who went to some of the earlier group games. Answers like: "I know that a Mr G Hurst was there" will be studiously ignored!

Comments

• My Dad went to the 3rd /4th play off but couldn't get a ticket for the final.
  • Richard J said:

My Dad went to the 3rd /4th play off but couldn't get a ticket for the final.

Thanks Richard. There may well be something in the difficulty of getting a ticket. It was the early days of corporate sponsorship and there were issues of 'real' football fans not being able to get tickets.

• My uncle John was there. One of my proudest boyhood things was the final programme he gave me. Which was tidied away by my mum years ago. :-(
    Unfortunately he's no longer with us so unavailable for any 50th celebrations.
  • iainment said:

My uncle John was there. One of my proudest boyhood things was the final programme he gave me. Which was tidied away by my mum years ago. :-(
    Unfortunately he's no longer with us so unavailable for any 50th celebrations.

Thanks Iainment - this is of course the sad thing. That so many people who were there are no longer around to share the memories, which makes the memories of those were there, even more special.

• MrOneLung said:

There are probably loads of us who were at Wembley for the greatest day in English sporting history back in '98, but not many on here who were also at the '66 World Cup Final.

Indeed - including myself MrOneLung and I was wondering who would be the first to point that out!

• My dad was behind the goal at the tunnel end. Got tickets to all of England's games as a 16th birthday present from my Grandad - cool pressie!

Just seen the post above - sounds like he may have got that deal or a similar one...

• I was at the big game - in '98 - and also there in '66. My sons will be groaning because my tired old Geoff Hurst story will get dragged out again.

I paid £4,50 for the 10-match London deal - 6 group matches, QF, SF, 3rd/4th and the Final. I have the tournament programme, the Final programme, some newspaper reports, two rosettes and all 10 tickets in their little wallet.

Okay GlassHalf Full - how can I contact you?

• edited March 2015

My dad was behind the goal at the tunnel end. Got tickets to all of England's games as a 16th birthday present from my Grandad - cool pressie!

Just seen the post above - sounds like he may have got that deal or a similar one...

Great stuff KinveachyAddick - is your dear dad still around and can I talk to him please?

• Sponsored links:

• My dad was behind the goal at the tunnel end. Got tickets to all of England's games as a 16th birthday present from my Grandad - cool pressie!

Great stuff KinveachyAddick - is your dear dad still around and can I talk to him please?

• @mattaddick - please PM me with your email address, and my agent will get back to you :smile:

Very much so!

Send me a direct mail with your email addy and I'll pass onto him to see if he's interested in helping out (am sure he will be)

• @mattaddick - please PM me with your email address, and my agent will get back to you :smile:

Done!

Very much so!

Send me a direct mail with your email addy and I'll pass onto him to see if he's interested in helping out (am sure he will be)

Will do
  • not old enough but I do have a copy of the programme
  • edited March 2015
    I was sat on the halfway line and had a pint with Bobby Moore after the match.

Sorry. I'm a terrible liar.

• The Final ticket itself was 10/- (50p).
  • Sponsored links:

• not old enough but I do have a copy of the programme

Thanks ElthamAddick - original programmes are worth a few quid but there are also millions of reproduction versions floating around too.
  • I was sat on the halfway line and had a pint with Bobby Moore after the match.

Sorry. I'm terrible liar.

You had me going for a sec!

• I was sat on the halfway line and had a pint with Bobby Moore after the match.

Sorry. I'm terrible liar.

funny that, I sat on my pint and had half a line with Bobby Moore after the match
  • I was there as an 18th bday present, I was also at the 7-6 Huddersfield game
  • I was at the qf when we beat Argentina 1-0 in 66.
  • I was there as an 18th bday present, I was also at the 7-6 Huddersfield game

Excellent - I'll send you a direct message if I may

• edited March 2015
    Be interesting if there is anyone still with us (or if there was someone who isnt) who went to the '46 / '47 FA Cup Finals at Wembley, the 1966 World Cup Final and the '98 Play-Off Final
  • edited March 2015
    Went to all the three eighth 'round robin' ties and then bought Quarter and Semi finals tickets sold as a job lot from Keith Prowse ticket agency. Sadly I couldn't afford a final ticket from a tout on my pocket money which in any case were like gold dust.:-(
  • My Dad went to every Wembley game including the final
  • Be interesting if there is anyone still with us (or if there was someone who isnt) who went to the '46 / '47 FA Cup Finals at Wembley, the 1966 World Cup Final and the '98 Play-Off Final

That would be interesting. I think Keith Ferris is a possibility and I know Kevin Nolan was at '47 and I suspect he just may have made an appearance at '98 as well.