Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Vs Italy

Comments

• Options
    JMP said:

Valley11 said:

Playing some brilliant stuff now.

3 former Lions on the pitch that's why
    Yeh, that'll be it...

• Options
    Barkley really reminds me of a young gazza a times.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Not a bad performance in the end, Delph in midfield is scary for me,still not convinced with Jones and Smalling, would love to see more quality in depth of the squad.
  • Options
    Good upfront, not so good elsewhere. Kane looking a natural. What has Shelvey done wrong?
  • Options
    So glad I let Mrs gib turn over the telly and watch this shit drama ffs
  • Options

Barkley really reminds me of a young gazza a times.

Completely agree. The lad has the world at his feet
  • Options
    Strange that some players are better for country than club. It's usually the complete opposite!

Great goal.

Jones and Smalling really worry me tho. If they represent man utd and England then I might still be in with a chance.
  • Options
    Decent performance. A big thing for me is that we are starting to play with freedom and none of the old backs to the wall stuff. Genuinely believe that Hodgson is building something.

Can't be having the likes of smalling though. And certainly not Jones in midfield.

Really hope Kane stays in the team - a proper centre forward.
  • Options
    Not Delph's best game, granted, but I'm a big fan. Works his socks off and he's a pain for the opposition. First dodgy game I've seem from him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Really lacking in centre backs but a massive fan of our attacking play. Barkley in the hole with Sturridge and Kane is going to be a beast of an attack in Russia.

Andros Townsend is quality and Ryan mason looks a class act from the few touches he made. What are they putting in the water at white hart lane?
  • Options
    Much better in the second half when we started playing with a bit of pace and drive.

We're not going to out-think or out-pass half of the European teams, we need to use the fact our league is quick and strong more often.
  • Options
    Could be worse. Portugal lost at home to the Cape Verde Islands 2-0 tonight!
  • Options

Good upfront, not so good elsewhere. Kane looking a natural. What has Shelvey done wrong?

Wasn't he an U21 drop out in the summer and then not picked for the full squad as "punishment".
  • Options
    It really is like Groundhog day watching/following England. We have some half decent players, rarely get embarrassed in friendlies, more or less always get through to major finals, only to get found out when we hit the first decent opposition that we face in the finals.

I am wracking my brains, and unless I am mistaken the last time we beat a Top Tier nation in the any major finals, was when we beat Germany 1-0 in Euro 2000 (a truly awful game with two poor teams).

However we have lost to Brazil (WC 2002), France & Portugal (Euro 2004), Portugal (WC 2006), Germany (WC 2010), Italy (Euro 2012) and Italy & Uruguay (WC 2014).

For whatever reason we just cannot produce top class players, that can excel at the highest tournament level, something I don't see changing any time soon.
  • Options
    They mentioned on the commentary that it was against Argentina in 2002. The Beckham penalty winner.
  • Options
    We came close against the French in 2004 but Zidane scored twice after 90 minutes to take a 2-1 win.
  • Options
    Yes quite right Argentina it was in 2002 - only thirteen years and six tournaments since we have managed it then! In all honesty would you bet any serious money on us beating one of the big five (Holland, Germany, France, Italy, Spain), if we were to meet them in the finals this time round? I certainly wouldn't, in fact it says a lot about our football failings in recent years, that two of our most celebrated performances have been 0-0 draws (Holland in 1990 & Italy in 1997)!
  • Options

Really lacking in centre backs but a massive fan of our attacking play. Barkley in the hole with Sturridge and Kane is going to be a beast of an attack in Russia.

Andros Townsend is quality and Ryan mason looks a class act from the few touches he made. What are they putting in the water at white hart lane?

It's bottled up and brought along the Seven Sisters from The Emirates.
  • Options
    Thought last night wasn't too bad to be honest. We should have had a penalty when Kane was flattened in the box (not that it matters in friendly) and our overall attacking was encouraging. We even kept the ball for periods which was refreshing to see.

Defense was a mess though bar Jag. Clyne looked lost. Jones bumbled around not quite with it. Smalling is dog shit.

Delph isnt even close to standard either. Just dont see whatever Roy does there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Smalling and Jagielka were *relatively* fine until Smalling started looking like he'd been knocked out, struggling to focus or move properly, then Jones went into CB and we looked mildly more assured because midfield looked a lot better with Carrick.

• Options

Yes quite right Argentina it was in 2002 - only thirteen years and six tournaments since we have managed it then! In all honesty would you bet any serious money on us beating one of the big five (Holland, Germany, France, Italy, Spain), if we were to meet them in the finals this time round? I certainly wouldn't, in fact it says a lot about our football failings in recent years, that two of our most celebrated performances have been 0-0 draws (Holland in 1990 & Italy in 1997)!

I clearly imagined being at Wembley to watch the Dutch get beaten 4-1 in '96 then...

You have a point, don't spoil it by re-writing history to suit your argument KA. :neutral:
  • Options

I clearly imagined being at Wembley to watch the Dutch get beaten 4-1 in '96 then...

You have a point, don't spoil it by re-writing history to suit your argument KA. :neutral:
    Beating Germany 5-1 wasn't bad either.
  • Options

Not in a finals tournament Gaz, as I am sure KA will point out...
  • Options

Neither was Italy 97?
  • Options

Neither was Italy 97?
    Oh yeah - KA moving his own goalposts too... :smiley:
  • Options

Played for Charlton?
  • Options
    I can't see us beating any major teams while we remain a second rate version of them. No width, too slow, predictable, no long ball variant and no physical domination.

We are playing much neater football under Roy H but discarding the high-tempo and physical Premier League style that our players excel at, is a huge mistake in my view.

How many decent crosses did Kane get near last night excluding set pieces (two?). Hoe many patient tippy-tappy moves around the D resulted in a shot on target (one or two?). What % of our passes are backwards?

'They don't like it up'em Mr Mannering' and we shouldn't forget it. We won't win anything as the Spanish third XI.
  • Options

I can't see us beating any major teams while we remain a second rate version of them. No width, too slow, predictable, no long ball variant and no physical domination.

We are playing much neater football under Roy H but discarding the high-tempo and physical Premier League style that our players excel at, is a huge mistake in my view.

How many decent crosses did Kane get near last night excluding set pieces (two?). Hoe many patient tippy-tappy moves around the D resulted in a shot on target (one or two?). What % of our passes are backwards?

'They don't like it up'em Mr Mannering' and we shouldn't forget it. We won't win anything as the Spanish third XI.

You didn't watch the second half then ?

When Gibbs and Walker bombed down the wings,
    Townsend and Barkley killed then for pace.
    Rooney and Kane did clever runs ?

Don't write your report on the first half as we were poor and negative.