Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Easter

Firstly happy Easter everyone.

Was wondering, I know the vast majority of posters on here are not Christians, however how many of you think it's important that our children know the origin of Easter, like why they eat hot cross buns on Good Friday and why they eat chocolate eggs?

Reason I'm asking is because on one hand, when the children at school had Easter hat competitions my daughters were the only ones in the school to incorporate the true meaning in their designs so clearly all the others when thinking of Easter never thought the religious theme was high in priority. But in the other hand as with Christmas eve today at church it was heaving with dozens of families that would never normally attend just because it's easter and they feel it's important to teach their children why.

Do you think children need to know or should know the history and origins of Easter? Or should they all just celebrate it as another commercial holiday?

Comments

• Options
    Happy egg shaped chocolate day image
  • Options

Was wondering, I know the vast majority of posters on here are not Christians, however how many of you think it's important that our children know the origin of Easter, like why they eat hot cross buns on Good Friday and why they eat chocolate eggs?

Reason I'm asking is because on one hand, when the children at school had Easter hat competitions my daughters were the only ones in the school to incorporate the true meaning in their designs so clearly all the others when thinking of Easter never thought the religious theme was high in priority. But in the other hand as with Christmas eve today at church it was heaving with dozens of families that would never normally attend just because it's easter and they feel it's important to teach their children why.

Do you think children need to know or should know the history and origins of Easter? Or should they all just celebrate it as another commercial holiday?

Surprised they haven't banned Easter yet for fear of offending the minorities.
  • Options
    I have often though it is a bit off for people to want to get married in a Church when they never go, and they don't believe, but I suppose Churches need the business.
  • Options
    My daughter claims she's a Christian and is fascinated by religion. Not sure where she gets it from, my wife and I are not religious in the slightest. She gave up chocolate for lent and wouldn't touch it, which is pretty impressive for a 6 year old. Has made up for it since Friday though.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    purdis said:

Surprised they haven't banned Easter yet for fear of offending the minorities.
    Yawn. You know about passover and Jesus being a prophet of Islam, right?

Getting back to Sadie-Jane's question.

I think children and adults should know about the origins of such holidays (see above) but people should be able to pick and choose the bits they want be Christ is risen or pagan spring fertility rituals or just eating chocolate if that is all they are interesting in.
  • Options
    I would like to know what its all about too!
  • Options
    Part of our culture and heritage and in that respect its got some importance. If you want to believe in the religious bits then do. It's not for me.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Anyone wanting to know the true meaning of Easter would be well advised to steer clear of church this weekend. As with nearly all our festivals and holidays the eastern sects have played a big game of pin the tail on the donkey and have planted their fairy stories onto existing traditions. Easter was a pagan festival. The reason that it's date moves around is evidence of this because it is based on the old lunar calendar. If it really was about a historical event, there would be a fixed date. But it isn't; it is a celebration of springtime. As such, fluffy bunnies and little chicks are the very essence of Easter, not the sickening images of violence that the church likes to portray.

It is criminal that even when I was at school rather than been taught this factual narrative about our history I was exposed to religious fantasy nonsense every year!
  • Options
    Pagans celebrate the beginning of spring, Christians celebrate the resurrection, whatever way you look at it its a celebration of new life, nothing bad in that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Pagans celebrate the beginning of spring, Christians celebrate the resurrection, whatever way you look at it its a celebration of new life, nothing bad in that.

Agree, each to their own.

Had my roast lamb dinner and will have some simnel cake later.

Happy Easter everyone.
  • Options
    The true meaning of Easter / Ostara should be taught at schools without any religious bias.
    Celebration of the Resurrection will be delayed until 7.45 on Tuesday this year.
  • Options

But in your opening post you talk about "the true meaning" of Easter, by grafting on a fairy story you are not only missing the true meaning but are actually detracting from it. There's a wonderful world out there, enjoy it. Don't worry about believing in what some bishop tells you that you ought to.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Our inherent Christian culture celebrates Easter as a religious festival and thank you to those above who enlightened me on its original or alternative meanings.

The good news, other than that most of us feel a bit of feel good factor at this time, is that the shops are actually shut, one of only 2 days in the entire year that our nation can actually put our feet up en masse and enjoy some peace.
  • Options
    The Meaningful Chocolate Company have finally managed to get some if the supermarkets to take their Christian-themed egg.

http://www.realeasteregg.co.uk/news/tesco-morrisons-and-other-stores-put-egg-on-trial.php

I was reliably informed that the main buyer from Sainsburys questioned what chocolate eggs have got to do with Easter when declining to take it.....
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Happy Easter Sadie, the family are on way to mass me and the little man are feasting on the chocolate
  • Options
    Stig said:

But in your opening post you talk about "the true meaning" of Easter, by grafting on a fairy story you are not only missing the true meaning but are actually detracting from it. There's a wonderful world out there, enjoy it. Don't worry about believing in what some bishop tells you that you ought to.
    That's a matter of belief the Christian celebration of the resurrection of Christ coincides with the pagan celebration of the welcoming of spring I believe it is relevant and an important part of the church calendar.
  • Options

How do you know that the vast majority on here are not Christians?
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Could'nt give a ***k still getting shit from my friends in blue
  • Options
    Riviera said:

How do you know that the vast majority on here are not Christians?
    the religion thread where me and a couple of others were basically ripped to pieces.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Happy zombie jesus day
  • Options
    tbf the story about Jesus coming back to life is both utterly ludicrous and not even original.

In about 1280BC, the Egypitian book of the Dead says Horus came about thanks to a virgin mother, was tempted whilst lone in a desert, healed the sick, walked on water, was crucified and yep...he came back to life. I mean of all the stories modern christianity could have copied, at least pick an interesting one.
  • Options
    But then again if you believe in a talking snake then I suppose you've already made your mind up before you read my post.
  • Options
    Happy Easter to all
  • Options
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horus

Interesting that he was the son of the Goddess, Isis.
    No mention of reassembled, dismembered body parts or a resurrected penis in the Jesus mythology!

Wouldn't it be good to find out the real truth - as you suggest, the evolution of myths, in general, is a minefield of speculation, interpretation, Chinese whispers and corrupted facts.
    They wouldn't get away with it today with SKY & FOX news teams live at the scene.
  • Options
    religion like music and football is personal to those that follow it and is not for ridicule or picking to pieces

If there is anything we have learned over the last ten years of religous hatred and vile acts of hatred, that mocking these views is just wrong
  • Options
    But religion is not personal and cannot, by definition, be personal. The very fact that you talk about followers presumes that there must also be leaders. Religion cannot exist in a vacuum, but only by transmission from one person to another. That is not private, that is the very essence of public. The whole 'private' argument comes about, not because of any objective reality, but because religious people cannot take it when their ideas are challenged. For some reason we are expected to swallow hard and keep quiet as if unfounded beliefs in the supernatural are somehow reasonable, but there is not one other walk of life where society would accept the ring-fencing of ideas as out of bounds to logical scrutiny.
  • Options
    Happy Easter. A great time of celebration at my church.

These ancient markers in our calender should be taught from all aspects and viewpoints in our schools. Might give our kids a better grounding in life, as opposed to greed and avarice, xbox and social media.

Now if you don't believe then good for you. I am happy to get on with my shit, you get on with yours!
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Did someone say 'each to their own'? That covers it for me. Deep down, it's a non christian festival that has been hijacked by the church. I buy eggs for the children (it's slightly different here in Spain) have a break from work. I don't 'celebrate' life renewal. If people don't fuck with the climate, it's a lifr cycle that just happens. I always welcome spring, when the weather warms up, as it's nice after winter. You could argue that after so many years, it's a christian tradition, but I'm not one of 'em.
    I enjoyed watching Ben Hur yesterday, but if it had been Harry Potter, that would have been fine too. And Sadie, sorry if you felt ripped to pieces. I don'nt think it was the intention, but it does raise passions.
  • Options
    smiffyboy said:

Could'nt give a ***k still getting shit from my friends in blue

Antony, Duncan, Lee or Simon - come on, name names!