Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Johann Berg Gudmundsson & Yoni Buyens @ Eltham Addicks on Tuesday 28th April

Comments

• Options
    Greenie said:

Good write up Kap10. Cheers

So we need to find decent replacements for JBG and Yoni, bollox, thats going to be tough.

We already have a replacement for Buyens! Mr C. Lepoint ;)
  • Options

Greenie said:

So we need to find decent replacements for JBG and Yoni, bollox, thats going to be tough.

Is he any good, because like most on here I've only seen him for about 30 mins?
    Not enough to form an opinion really!
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Was very much tongue in cheek! I think the fact he's not even got on the bench in recent weeks suggests luzon doesn't think so!
  • Options
    By the sound of things, JBG didn't say he would definitely be going, but naturally wants to see whether we'll be fighting at the top next season or drifting around in mid table (or worse).

I remember when we signed Super Clive, that was a statement of intent that we would be targeting promotion that season. Something similar would be nice!
  • Options

By the sound of things, JBG didn't say he would definitely be going, but naturally wants to see whether we'll be fighting at the top next season or drifting around in mid table (or worse).

I remember when we signed Super Clive, that was a statement of intent that we would be targeting promotion that season. Something similar would be nice!

Exactly right.
  • Options
    Thanks for the write up.

Refreshing not to hear the usual bull**** and hear them say 'we love it here and waiting to see what is offered, would love to stay, blah blah blah.

Wish them well whatever just for their honesty
  • Options

Thanks for the write up.

Refreshing not to hear the usual bull**** and hear them say 'we love it here and waiting to see what is offered, would love to stay, blah blah blah.

Wish them well whatever just for their honesty

I think that some continental players tend to be more open that UK players. Maybe it is a cultural thing or comes from living in Holland or maybe UK players are trained to be more guarded.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I agree entirely with Kap.
    They were both honest lads, with Buyens doing most of the talking.
    Johann's idea of a good night out, is a meal in Mayfair.
    I told him that a good night out in Hull or Stoke, would be a Weatherspoons, but I don't think I won him over.
    I'm confident he'll move to a Prem club, if they come in for him, unless Charlton offer him an equivalent contract and sign players, that illustrate we are going for promotion, which let's face it, ain't gonna happen.

Buyens makes his mind up, which way his penalty will go, beforehand.
    But he doesn't look at the ball and just watches the goalie.
    When the goalie goes one way, he puts it the other.
    If the goalie didn't move, he'd put it where he had already decided.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2015
    In Brighton home game which we lost 1-0, I thought I could see what a great player Cousins could be. I think it is possible for him to play for England and will be interested in seeing how he develops next year.

JBG being with us next season looks like as good a barometer as you can get of our ambitions.
  • Options

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Was very much tongue in cheek! I think the fact he's not even got on the bench in recent weeks suggests luzon doesn't think so!
    He has been on the bench hasn't he?

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Think he's glued to it.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Not every game if I'm correct in remembering! He wasn't on the bench at Birmingham!
  • Options
    Does JBG have another year on his contract ?
  • Options
    PL54 said:

Yes one more season, but Clubs don't like it when they go under this because they see their assets turning to dust. Great from the players point of view to run out their contract. If their in demand of course.

• Options
    Yoni was in the crowd at Millwall with Jacko and was surprised that here was not more atmosphere from the Millwall fans. He and Jacko were held back at the end of he game like the rest of us.

He was asked if when he was in the crowd he saw things differently. He said he would here fans complain about something a player was doings, but think that was the right thing to do. But fans are passionate, a polite way of saying we don't know what we are talking about! True.

I asked if they were affected by the crowd, Johan said sometimes they annoyed him, because there are times when you need to pass back but the crowd moan. Knowing that Yoni sometimes take a bit of stick I asked him and he said the crowd were ok, but then he has played for liege and the crowd there are horrible (can't remember the exact words) cited the liege fans supporting the opposition, including ole's when they passed the ball.

The players do not mentor th younger players (I don't mean those in the first team) they felt that young players today think they have made it even before they have got into the first team and whilst most of them are respectful they don't listen (I think that was said).
  • Options

PL54 said:

Yes one more season, but Clubs don't like it when they go under this because they see their assets turning to dust. Great from the players point of view to run out their contract. If their in demand of course.

I understand the economics of it but didn't know if he had a year left.

He'll be sold IMO.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Kap10 said:

The players do not mentor th younger players (I don't mean those in the first team) they felt that young players today think they have made it even before they have got into the first team and whilst most of them are respectful they don't listen (I think that was said).

That's a shame
  • Options
    PL54 said:

PL54 said:

I understand the economics of it but didn't know if he had a year left.

He'll be sold IMO.
    The sad truth is most of as came away from that meeting believing that as well.
    (:-(

• Options
    It worries me that if JBG does go to a Prem club everybody will blame the club for lack of ambition. If he goes, I think it will be down to his ambition and the power of the Prem. both last night quoted wages 5x championship wages, we can't compete with that.

If he goes, then we need to be as smart as we were last summer and find the next JBG. JBG in a different answer said he had expected Derby to win the league. His misjudgement must play n his decision even if we do strengthen. Strengthening would put us in a good position for promotion, transfer to a premiership team guarantees the prem for one season at least.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

Ok managed to put some notes down whilst fresh in my head, I am sure there is more and others will add and correct inaccuracies.

An evening with Yoni and Johan

In order of remembrance.

Johan supports Man Utd as did his father and Grandfather. The premier League is big in Iceland. His favourite plays are Beckham and Ronaldo. He has played for Iceland against Ronaldo.

Funnily enough Iceland is the only country (at the time I heard this last year anyway!) in the world that shows every single Premier League match live on TV, the sports bars on a Premier League match day is like no other, people reserve seats in front of the one showing their team, which is mostly funnily enough, Liverpool or United, and there's a ton of TV's showing different game's!

It's more football mad than England, going to be some talent from the place coming over the years with the age they all start playing football (with coaches)
  • Options
    Sorry to keep adding bits.

JBG is the no2 penalty taker .. He scored one when Yoni had gone off and when Yoni was injured he was looking forward to adding to his total but then did not get one during the weeks he was out. The game Yoni returned JBG said to him that we'd get a penalty today and sure enough we did.

JBG & Igor are on same goals - I think that JBG wants to take any penalties on Saturday, but Yoni could also be be of the top scorers so don't think that will happen. This is the 1st time Yoni has been at a club and been its no.1 penalty taker.

JBG would expect to score 7/10 penalties.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

Sorry to keep adding bits.

JBG is the no2 penalty taker .. He scored one when Yoni had gone off and when Yoni was injured he was looking forward to adding to his total but then did not get one during the weeks he was out. The game Yoni returned JBG said to him that we'd get a penalty today and sure enough we did.

JBG & Igor are on same goals - I think that JBG wants to take any penalties on Saturday, but Yoni could also be be of the top scorers so don't think that will happen. This is the 1st time Yoni has been at a club and been its no.1 penalty taker.

JBG would expect to score 7/10 penalties.

But then when JBG wasn't playing, Bulot stepped up and scored an equally good free kick!

Perhaps on Saturday in the name of fairness

JBG should take penalties
    Bulot should take direct free kicks
    Buyens should take corners
    Solly should go up for corners
  • Options
    Nicholas said:

Least both were honest, cant see Yoni coming back as he obviously seems home sick, which is a shame as he is a top player on his day.

Again fair play to JBG, hopefully he was being honest in saying he wants to see if we strengthen or not rather then jumping ship as soon as a prem team comes in for him. Over to Roland now to improve us now and see if his true to his word.

One great word to describe JBG would be honest, with what he did with the whole big Bob debacle, he wouldn't tell us any thing other than the truth, respect to him for that and respect to him for having aspirations as a pro, Premier League is the goal for any football player playing in England, if we have no real good go at going up, why would he stay here in his prime?
  • Options
    JBG comes across as a good, honest person in the interviews/tweets I've seen from him. I'm glad that he wants to play in the Premier League, any ambitious professional should want the same.

If someone came along to Charlton and said "I want to be here for ten years, regardless of the division" then I wouldn't want them about as I'd expect them to be too complacent and easily satisfied to just have a footballers lifestyle.

If JBG gets a move to the Prem, then good luck to him - he's definitely earned it.
  • Options

Yoni reckoned, that at the moment, Charlton are a better team then Standard Liege.

(Liege having sold their 4 best players last summer).

What with him being here? ;-)