Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Hartlepool fancy dress

Bob Marley this year but they may be banned from the match as it's considered racist. DISCUSS.....

Comments

• Change the Hartkepool, will read a bit better :smiley:
  • They may be banned from the match if they 'black up'. They have no intention of doing so. No issue.
  • IA said:

They may be banned from the match if they 'black up'. They have no intention of doing so. No issue.

now what are we supposed to discuss
    thanks IA for ruining my night, suppose I best just log off here now :wink:
  • Bob Marley was a massive football fan, think he'd have approved.
  • Nobody stood up for us Oompa Loompas when the cheeky feckers daubed themselves up in Jaffa sunrise!
  • Sounds a bit rubbish compared to their previous efforts!
  • Amsterdam Arena - Three little birds was a great hit when the crowd sang along.
  • Sponsored links:

• Kick It Out statement:

"We have received a number of complaints from Hartlepool United supporters about the Bob Marley fancy dress theme...The main concerns raised have been over the potential of fans deciding to 'black up'. We clearly outlined that 'blacking up' has historically been a way of acting out racist stereotypes, and while the theme planned by fans may be well intended...such behaviour, if it occurs, is likely to cause offence".
  • Nobody stood up for us Oompa Loompas when the cheeky feckers daubed themselves up in Jaffa sunrise!

Apparently Simon Jorden was feckin furious. ;)
  • They could all just go in threes, as three little birds?

Nope?

I'll get my coat!

Nope?

I'll get my coat!

Bet you've had some cracking fancy dress parties over the years Sheedy
  • Why is 'blacking up' even offensive???

If a load of black fellas wanted to dress up like Elton John and they painted themselves white, would you really give a shit???

I have a number of black friends who find it offensive. I guess it is a legacy going back to minstrel shows in America, they hardly portrayed black people in a good light. I don't think it's as clear as saying "well if someone "whited" up I wouldn't be offended".
  • How many Bob Marley's can you jammin to one away end?
  • If they get together they'll feel alright, and won't worry about a thing.
  • Might be a bit of an exodus out of the ground.

Nope?

I'll get my coat!

There's a group of them with a plan. All blokes. No woman.

Don't chop any onions near them - they don't want to cry.
  • Sponsored links:

• It does sound a weak subject for fancy dress. All you need is one of those big hats with fake dreds hanging down off it.

Agree with that. Hartlepool are probably the only club who do fancy dress properly, i'm sure they could do better.
  • There's so much trouble in the World, that I just hope these Hartlepool fans don't stir it up as they want no more trouble especially if the sun is shining.

I get the feeling that I might be waiting in vain for them to get up, stand up and keep on moving through this rat race of a concrete jungle just looking for survival.

Lets hope they enjoy themselves and have a punky reggae party.
  • edited April 2015
    colthe3rd said:

Why is 'blacking up' even offensive???

If a load of black fellas wanted to dress up like Elton John and they painted themselves white, would you really give a shit???

I have a number of black friends who find it offensive. I guess it is a legacy going back to minstrel shows in America, they hardly portrayed black people in a good light. I don't think it's as clear as saying "well if someone "whited" up I wouldn't be offended".
    Fair enough. I just don't see how a load of hartlepool fans doing it would have any racial undertone or connection to minstrels in America all those years ago. I've seen plenty of people black up as Mr T and nobody, including black people, have batted an eye lid.
  • edited April 2015
    I think they should go with a Smurf, Oompa Lumpa combo instead. They should already have the costumes and it would be a pleasant mix of colours. looking at the photo - it is great there was only one Papa Smurf and the blokes dressed as Batman and Robin must have felt stupid!
  • It does sound a weak subject for fancy dress. All you need is one of those big hats with fake dreds hanging down off it.

And a good supply of ganja of course!

You wouldn't actually need to black up to impersonate Bob Marley - a half-decent sun tan would be sufficient.
  • It would be better if they all went as Sol Campbell - white out their faces and "black up" their arms etc.
  • Who are they playing.
  • Carlisle
  • They have done well of late to get out of the bottom two, but are still in real danger of relegation to the conference. I wish them all the best.