Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Hartlepool fancy dress

Comments

• Options
    iaitch said:

Carlisle

No wonder they were afraid of blacking up, hundreds of Bob marley loo a likes would scare the shit out of the locals!
  • Options
    Bob Marley wasn't even black ffs
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

Why is 'blacking up' even offensive???

If a load of black fellas wanted to dress up like Elton John and they painted themselves white, would you really give a shit???

I have a number of black friends who find it offensive. I guess it is a legacy going back to minstrel shows in America, they hardly portrayed black people in a good light. I don't think it's as clear as saying "well if someone "whited" up I wouldn't be offended".
    Fair enough. I just don't see how a load of hartlepool fans doing it would have any racial undertone or connection to minstrels in America all those years ago. I've seen plenty of people black up as Mr T and nobody, including black people, have batted an eye lid.
    Yeah I'm not saying that they are trying to cause offence (although from what I've read they said they have no intention of doing it anyway) but I'm not black so I can't say whether it would or should cause offence to someone who is. All I'm saying is I know people who do find it offensive or at the very least not in good taste and I was trying to find a reasoning behind it.
  • Options

The smurf invasion of the Valley was class.

what on earth is the guy between robin and sonic dressed as?

• Options
    rina said:

he's just got his bird under a bed sheet gnoshing him off
  • Options
    rina said:

Suspect the horses head on the right of batman was the top half of that costume.
  • Options

rina said:

Suspect the horses head on the right of batman was the top half of that costume.
    The horses head is part of a 'Bernie Clifton' type costume isn't it? The guy in the cowboy hat being the 'rider'.

Maybe the mystery costume isn't a costume at all. Maybe he always dresses like that.
    :smiley:
  • Options

No, he was irie
  • Options
    For someone who lives in Hartlepool, a week in the sunshine is considered blacking up.............
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I think you're getting confused with Bob Peeters!
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

I think you're getting confused with Bob Peeters!
    You mean Blue Peter ?
  • Options

John Hewie was. According to a fella on RTM many many years ago
  • Options
    I see MK Franchise have copied Hartlepools fancy dress idea, and hundreds of their fans have apparently gone today dressed as pirates

pirates is probably apt for them, first they steal the name dons now they have stolen Hartlepools idea

I really hate MK Franchise
  • Options

I see MK Franchise have copied Hartlepools fancy dress idea, and hundreds of their fans have apparently gone today dressed as pirates

pirates is probably apt for them, first they steal the name dons now they have stolen Hartlepools idea

Never have guessed. Can't stand AFC either!
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

Never have guessed. Can't stand AFC either!
    why
  • Options

They don't have hundreds of fans do they?
  • Options

They don't have hundreds of fans do they?
    I worked up there for a while and a lot of people's 2nd team is MK, a plastic city with plastic support.

@paulie8290 to long and too contentious answer.
  • Options
    Looks like we will be playing them next season.
  • Options
    E-cafc said:

Looks like we will be playing them next season.

what makes you say that

3rd and heading for play offs, remember the year we went up, everyone exected Sheffield United to join us and the wendies as they only just missed out on automatic, but it was Huddersfield, can see Swindon doing it in the play offs
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sheffield United will come good.
  • Options
    Found this picture of Hartlepool fans as Bob Marley.

Certainly not a touch on previous efforts........

• Options
    Pleased that they stayed up.
  • Options
    They weren't allowed to black their faces up, yet all I see on billboards at the moment is a whitened up Sol Campbell trying to get more black people to vote.
    What a load of old bollocks,
  • Options
    rina said:

Isn't it Babs from Little Britain?
  • Options

Away to Plymouth, this weekend, I wonder what they will turn up as?

Stormtroopers is this years theme
  • Options
    Hopefully Jeff Stelling goes as Darth Vadar.
  • Options
    Though that one second from the left is decidedly more KKK than anything else.
  • Options
    a nice warm day for it on Saturday!