Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

London Marathon today - and people's manners

Really great day following our friend's daughter in the London Marathon (she was running and we were by tube, overground & DLR).

Huge respect to every runner, every volunteer, the City of London and its workers, the rail companies and anyone else who contributed, for an amazing effort today - great atmosphere, great day for London, great day for the UK and, greatest of all, the hugely successful charity effort.

As a child who was brought up being shown the importance of good manners and how to behave, only three negative observations today:

1) Holding the door open for the person(s) behind you in a public place - some bloke stormed through an exit door at one of the tube stations and it slammed into a young child behind him. Enough said?

2) People sneezing and coughing in crowded areas without covering their mouth - a horrible habit, clearly on the increase.

3) On the tube back to Mile End, I was standing in the crowded carriage with my Mrs but just down the way was a female Marathon runner standing with the foil blanket around her looking totally knackered (surprise, surprise!). Two blokes sitting down by her and neither offered her their seat - beggars belief!

Anyway, minor rant aside, a very special day and proud to be British!

Comments

• Options
    Unfortunately, that appears to be everyday habit in London now. Very rarely hear the words please or thanks nowadays either.
  • Options
    purdis said:

Really great day following our friend's daughter in the London Marathon (she was running and we were by tube, overground & DLR).

Huge respect to every runner, every volunteer, the City of London and its workers, the rail companies and anyone else who contributed, for an amazing effort today - great atmosphere, great day for London, great day for the UK and, greatest of all, the hugely successful charity effort.

As a child who was brought up being shown the importance of good manners and how to behave, only three negative observations today:

1) Holding the door open for the person(s) behind you in a public place - some bloke stormed through an exit door at one of the tube stations and it slammed into a young child behind him. Enough said?

2) People sneezing and coughing in crowded areas without covering their mouth - a horrible habit, clearly on the increase.

3) On the tube back to Mile End, I was standing in the crowded carriage with my Mrs but just down the way was a female Marathon runner standing with the foil blanket around her looking totally knackered (surprise, surprise!). Two blokes sitting down by her and neither offered her their seat - beggars belief!

If only two men were sitting near her must have been plenty of seats available.
  • Options
    You don't come into London or use the tube much do you? Ignorant bastards everywhere the trains and tubes are full of inconsiderate pricks. Some woman literally pushed my pregnant wife the other day to try and get in front of her to get a seat, then she had the cheek to say to my wife just because you are pregnant you think you can push in. My wife was in the cue before her and was first to the seat. I went fucking ape shit at the woman.
  • Options
    Nicholas said:

You don't come into London or use the tube much do you? Ignorant bastards everywhere the trains and tubes are full of inconsiderate pricks. Some woman literally pushed my pregnant wife the other day to try and get in front of her to get a seat, then she had the cheek to say to my wife just because you are pregnant you think you can push in. My wife was in the cue before her and was first to the seat. I went fucking ape shit at the woman.

Sorry to hear that - horrendous. No excuse for it and pity the ignorant woman who behaved like that for she is the overall loser because she has clearly lost that part of us called goodness and kindness - it's in there at birth in all of us.

Most of the manners and courtesy thing was school driven so it's a real shame if they no longer push it.

It happened to my wife when we lived in Stockport and that was 27 years ago.
    My wife was heavily pregnant, we were leaving a very busy M & S when some f*ckwit bloke didn't hold the heavy exit door for her and it slammed into her. We'd got separated so I couldn't get there in time.
    I let him know my feelings but he just gave me a blank look - and this was before the influx of Europeans and refugees so he was likely British and understood me.

Time to start a campaign to bring back manners!
    I won't bother as it's a futile exercise.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

purdis said:

If only two men were sitting near her must have been plenty of seats available.
    Appreciate the humour but it was not nice to see at the time!
  • Options

I stopped getting on tubes with my Mrs after a proper loonie started acting up on our way home from finding out that ivf had at that point been successful (it wasn't in the end but we were blessed not long after so all good) and this fella started being quite intimidating and acting very aggressive to all on the carriage, you go into fight or flight mode, but I was very conscious that, I had a limited space or option to deal with this crank and we were between stops, fortunately for me a builder also had the same thoughts and let's say that this crank was dealt with and removed at the next station by the two of us, at this point unless travelling alone the under ground network is not somewhere I feel safe for my family, it is just as easy and not that much more expensive to drive in and find a parking location
  • Options

purdis said:

Nicholas said:

Sorry to hear that - horrendous. No excuse for it and pity the ignorant woman who behaved like that for she is the overall loser because she has clearly lost that part of us called goodness and kindness - it's in there at birth in all of us.

Most of the manners and courtesy thing was school driven so it's a real shame if they no longer push it.

It happened to my wife when we lived in Stockport and that was 27 years ago.
    My wife was heavily pregnant, we were leaving a very busy M & S when some f*ckwit bloke didn't hold the heavy exit door for her and it slammed into her. We'd got separated so I couldn't get there in time.
    I let him know my feelings but he just gave me a blank look - and this was before the influx of Europeans and refugees so he was likely British and understood me.

Time to start a campaign to bring back manners!
    I won't bother as it's a futile exercise.
    My mum taught me what little manners I have, not the school.

Should come from both sources - parents & school.
  • Options

Don't worry NLA, a Labour govt has promised to improve manners by taxing the rudest 1%.

The Tories will give it back in a rebate, the libs will offer free tuition to help re educate and ukip will take any their polystyrene cup and their accordion
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2015
    seth plum said:

Maybe the role of schools is to be an example of good manners and behaviour, and intolerant of the bad, but not to actually teach them. It is firmly down to parents to teach good manners, and judging by some effing and jeffing selfish and aggressive adults I think god help their kids. Teachers have plenty to do without being responsible for teaching common decency.

Would be no harm in trying, though - or would teaching manners infringe little Johnnie's Human Rights and end up in the European Court?

I agree with what you say, Seth but we must never give up and such things can be changed at core level - if there is a will to do so.
  • Options
    kigelia said:

To slightly change the subject. I ran yesterday and after injuring myself at the early stage of about 2 miles I finished due I no small measure to the crowds supporting everyone out there. If it wasn't for them I would not have finished - was close to tears at some point.

So thanks to anyone out there. I imagine your hands and voices hurt as much as my legs do this morning.

Quite right and apologies for a few little irritations overpowering the gist of the thread.

Our friend's daughter said the same - the public spurred her on big time and glad we were there as spectators because the atmosphere was special and no TV channel could possibly get the full benefit of that atmosphere across to the viewers.

Well done to you and you should (and sure you are) be very proud - enjoy the memories and what you have achieved.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    My old headmistress used to say manners maketh man (until I rudely pointed out that maketh was an archaic use of the verb 'to make' and rarely used today).
  • Options
    There is probably a will to teach good manners, it is fitting those sessions in that may be the problem.
    I agree about perseverance but I also think parents ought not to think the inculcation of good manners and behaviour is down to the schools.
  • Options
    Manners come primarily from the home and how children see other family members behave to each other and those outside the family.

Schools can do so much but without parental support their influence is inevitably limited.

I do have to say, as one taught to hold doors open for women and those older and or less able, that in my experience an increasing number of people walk through as if I am Claude Rains without the bandages.

The words please and thank you no longer seem to exist.
  • Options
    Was marshalling at Cutty Sark yesterday at the Marathon and a young lady in her mid-20s or so pushed me when I wouldnt move out of her way because I was blocking her view, despite the fact that I'd been standing there for 4 hours or so and at least 90 mins longer than she'd been there. See the thanks we get?!
  • Options
    I always hold the door open for other people and I'm a woman - the sex of the person shouldn't matter.

If anyone walks through and fails to thank me, I say thank you to them in a sarcastic manner, so that most know they should have thanked me. Of course there are many that are so ignorant that they don't understand that I am being sarcastic.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Was marshalling at Cutty Sark yesterday at the Marathon and a young lady in her mid-20s or so pushed me when I wouldnt move out of her way because I was blocking her view, despite the fact that I'd been standing there for 4 hours or so and at least 90 mins longer than she'd been there. See the thanks we get?!

Was watching by Southwark Bridge & had a guy mid 20s barge into my Mum & then tell her to F*** Off as she wouldn't move to let him stand in front of her. We'd been there all day watching & cheering, waiting for my brother to come through (although we failed to see him run/hobble past us!).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's an interesting topic - it was noticeable when I lived in the US that people in NYC were almost without fail exceptionally impolite whilst in Texas (and notably Chicago too) they were the opposite.

• Options
    What gets me is when parents are happy to see their children take a seat when an adult is left standing ( on the underground). They should either stand or sit on their parents lap
  • Options

What gets me is when parents are happy to see their children take a seat when an adult is left standing ( on the underground). They should either stand or sit on their parents lap

Hold on one second.

Why should a child who is probably more tired after a day walking around London than a healthy adult give up there seat for said healthy adult? W

Why should they have to sit on their parents lap? Their parent will have paid for their space on the train so is just as due a seat as the next person. Maybe the Parent could stand next to the seat upon which the child sits?

If it were a teen or a healthy adult taking up a seat it's fair enough they should stand and offer their place to a small child, elderly, pregnant or infirm.

(No fatties I'm not saying you get to keep a seat either over those listed somehow I count you as a healthy adult... a food baby doesn't make you pregnant.)

• Options
    seth plum said:

There is probably a will to teach good manners, it is fitting those sessions in that may be the problem.
    I agree about perseverance but I also think parents ought not to think the inculcation of good manners and behaviour is down to the schools.

surely not saying that you should teach "good manners" as a subject in itself ?

• Options
    lolwray said:

seth plum said:

surely not saying that you should teach "good manners" as a subject in itself ?

My original point is that schools ought to be an example of good manners, and intolerant of bad ones. If parents want schools to teach good manners per se, then it will be a subject for a period of time somewhere in the school year, unless those parents expect free etiquette lessons to be delivered by staff after school.
    My principal point is that the main people responsible for teaching children good manners are their parents, not teachers.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Purdis,
    I am fortunate enough to work in and visit a lot of schools. Please do not think that schools do not teach or encourage manners. In many places we insist on it and if you were to visit you would hear many examples of 'thank you,' 'please' and 'you're welcome.'

The same standards of many children are not expected at home and some parents display little manners themselves. Rest assured it is a high priority in schools to not just educate young people but make them rounded, well mannered and positive members of society. Of course this doesn't mean all of them show it or remember it once they are in groups of friends or out and about in public.

It is always interesting to take a trip on public transport with a group of teenagers and see just who is better behaved. Nine times out of ten it is the 14 and 15 year olds; those who constantly get a bad press, who are better citizens.

Out of interest what were the approximate ages of those who offended you on Sunday. School age or adults?

• Options

Purdis,
    I am fortunate enough to work in and visit a lot of schools. Please do not think that schools do not teach or encourage manners. In many places we insist on it and if you were to visit you would hear many examples of 'thank you,' 'please' and 'you're welcome.'

The same standards of many children are not expected at home and some parents display little manners themselves. Rest assured it is a high priority in schools to not just educate young people but make them rounded, well mannered and positive members of society. Of course this doesn't mean all of them show it or remember it once they are in groups of friends or out and about in public.

It is always interesting to take a trip on public transport with a group of teenagers and see just who is better behaved. Nine times out of ten it is the 14 and 15 year olds; those who constantly get a bad press, who are better citizens.

Out of interest what were the approximate ages of those who offended you on Sunday. School age or adults?

Encouraging words, SJH and thank you for enlightening those of us on the outside of education.

I seriously and ashamedly had this strange vision that modern schools were now places of laissez-faire management and softly, softly discipline - where political correctness had overpowered the system.

I'm not suggesting a return to the discipline of the 70's - a blend of the cane, the slipper, Saturday morning detentions and, at worst, the wooden blackboard wiper being hurled across the room by the angered Maths master and, fortunately, missing the head of the target by millimetres!

Our own kids are polite, courteous, considerate to others and always say please or thank you. We brought them up using the adage, "Treat others as you would expect to be treated yourself."
    I must try the same myself sometime :smiley:

Incidentally, I'm in my 50's now and a seat become available on the tube yesterday (my wife was already seated at this point) and I instinctively offered the seat to a young lady who was standing nearby - she declined but appreciated the gesture.
    Before I had chance to claim the seat for myself, a lad of about 19 had nipped in and taken it - snooze, you lose, I guess!

The approximate age of the offenders:
    Door slam on kid behind - mid-twenties male.
    Sneezing and coughing without hand over mouth - most people of most ages.
    Seat on train not offered to female Marathon runner - late teens/early twenties- males.

• Options
    I only give up my seat on public transport to a female if she is

- With a young child

- Elderly

- Wearing a "Baby on Board" badge. Don't want a slap of a plump lady if she thinks I'm only offering her the seat cause she's Pregnant not that she has a muffin top instead.