Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

London Marathon today - and people's manners

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Dazzler21 said:

What gets me is when parents are happy to see their children take a seat when an adult is left standing ( on the underground). They should either stand or sit on their parents lap

Hold on one second.

Why should a child who is probably more tired after a day walking around London than a healthy adult give up there seat for said healthy adult? W

Why should they have to sit on their parents lap? Their parent will have paid for their space on the train so is just as due a seat as the next person. Maybe the Parent could stand next to the seat upon which the child sits?

If it were a teen or a healthy adult taking up a seat it's fair enough they should stand and offer their place to a small child, elderly, pregnant or infirm.

(No fatties I'm not saying you get to keep a seat either over those listed somehow I count you as a healthy adult... a food baby doesn't make you pregnant.)

My mother would have always put me on her lap, it is no hardship, and it is good manners. You say "why should they" I say "why not", Daz?

Back to the overall topic we were in the UK last week, and travelled extensively on public transport - train, tram, tube and bus and for the most part people were courteous and polite. A couple of numpties on full trains had their "stuff" spread out over two seats, so the missus and I took great pleasure in asking them to move it so we could sit down, and one woman had her toddler sitting down when older people were standing, but overall people were decent. And shop assistants were incredibly helpful and polite compared with here in Portugal.

• Options
    shirty5 said:

I only give up my seat on public transport to a female if she is

- With a young child

- Elderly

- Wearing a "Baby on Board" badge. Don't want a slap of a plump lady if she thinks I'm only offering her the seat cause she's Pregnant not that she has a muffin top instead.

What a a great word 'plump' is. This all.
  • Options

You would be surprised (well maybe not going by this thread ) how many people ignore the baby on board badges and shrink down behind their paper to avoid giving up their seat.
  • Options
    always offer my seat to the elderly, pregnant women, women with small kids and women with low cut tops (joke)
  • Options
    It's odd, my son gets recognition from adults for his politeness and manners, the reason I find it odd is because surely that should be normal behavior? When has saying please and thank you been something that's celebrated so regularly? As parents we're always giving him praise for it but to see the surprise on other peoples faces is the odd part, and a bit sad that it doesn't appear to be the norm.
  • Options

You would be surprised (well maybe not going by this thread ) how many people ignore the baby on board badges and shrink down behind their paper to avoid giving up their seat.

it's probably because they think being that you're a man it's all a bit weird....
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

it's probably because they think being that you're a man it's all a bit weird....
    So despite the dress and the badge you can still tell? Bollox!
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

You need to work on that stuble see
  • Options
    brogib said:

Dazzler21 said:

You need to work on that stuble see
    You know when a Thread is coming to the end of its natural life when the banter starts!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

This should p*ss a few people off
  • Options

This should p*ss a few people off

At least she took her shoes off. Have seen far worse examples of bad manners on the Central Line than that.....
  • Options
    She's gotta be one stop short of Upney! Looks Australian by the looks of them thighs
  • Options
    As a working bloke (physical grafter) it never failed to amaze me that all the suits and pen pushers would always get emselves a seat on the rattler, even though they'd be sitting down all day at work (or in the boozer in @cafcdave123 case) while the proper workers had to stand by the doors.
  • Options
    brogib said:

As a working bloke (physical grafter) it never failed to amaze me that all the suits and pen pushers would always get emselves a seat on the rattler, even though they'd be sitting down all day at work (or in the boozer in @cafcdave123 case) while the proper workers had to stand by the doors.

One of the perks of us having a real job :)
  • Options

brogib said:

One of the perks of us having a real job :)
    Oi! Backbone of the country us pal

; )
  • Options
    purdis said:

purdis said:

Nicholas said:

My mum taught me what little manners I have, not the school.

Should come from both sources - parents & school.
    Used to be the schools backed up the parents, now there's only a minority of parents who do anything to be backed up.

Remember our headmaster having a go at us in assembly after a lady had complained to the school that a boy had pushed in front of her at the bus queue. A stain on the schools' reputation, imagine how ridiculous that would sound today.
  • Options
    I must be in the minority then. Manners instilled in my two before they could walk - please and thank yous costs nothing - and has continued as they've grown (13 & 11). Admittedly I dont know what they are like without the presence of an adult but have no reason to think they'd slip
  • Options
    Too many parents don't like to hear the truth that their 'little angel' is more a little runt (or something that sounds like that) and won't back the school/teachers up or accept that they may have to approach things differently to encourage better behaviour

Manners are the minimum to be instilled in kids today

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Too many parents don't like to hear the truth that their 'little angel' is more a little runt (or something that sounds like that) and won't back the school/teachers up or accept that they may have to approach things differently to encourage better behaviour

what is a skittle runt?
  • Options

what is a skittle runt?
    probably a young child employed in a victorian bowling alley ...luxury compared to going up chimneys and working in tpit

• Options
    purdis said:

seth plum said:

Maybe the role of schools is to be an example of good manners and behaviour, and intolerant of the bad, but not to actually teach them. It is firmly down to parents to teach good manners, and judging by some effing and jeffing selfish and aggressive adults I think god help their kids. Teachers have plenty to do without being responsible for teaching common decency.

Would be no harm in trying, though - or would teaching manners infringe little Johnnie's Human Rights and end up in the European Court?

I agree with what you say, Seth but we must never give up and such things can be changed at core level - if there is a will to do so.
    Schools teach manners, its a shame some parents don't support them.