Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chelsea - Abramovich sanctioned (p9)

Comments

• Options

So are we saying that the football tradition of boys (or girls) starting to follow a particular club because their grandparents, parents, aunts and uncles, next door neighbours etc supported that club, irrespective if they live in the vicinity of the club any longer, which describes a very significant core of the Charlton fan base, is something unique to Charlton or small clubs in general?

The term 'plastic' can be applied to a sizeable number of the followers all successful clubs but that does not mean that those clubs don't have a large core of support for whom the concept of supporting another club would be as much an option as it would be for many core Charlton supporters.

No - I think for the most part we are talking about those that have no natural affinity with a club whatsoever and follow them merely because of their success. I certainly am.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

You could talk about us when Mark Hulyer came in, players seemed to arriving every week, we sign the European Footballer of the Year.

At the time it was a fantasy world but it all ended in tears when that boatload of rubber didn't arrive at Tilbury.

Won't be the last man who finds himself in trouble for a shortage of rubber.

• Options
    I hate people having a go at mark hulyer, he was 100% Charlton and was ambitious. I know he went about it in the wrong way but I played football with his younger brother and can assure you he loved our club.
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

Anyone who claims to be a Chelsea fan, yet is not from the area, is basically saying they have no real interest in football

Im from Leicester and support Charlton, what does that make me?

A weirdo? :wink:

(says the bloke born in Salisbury who ended up in Yorkshire via Canada)
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Not bothered about Abromivich really. Not bothered that they have won the league.

Not bothered that he's been accused of murder? That he ripped off the Russian people for billions? That he bought a club largely to avoid being assassinated? What would a club owner need to do to concern you!?
    Take a chill pill will you.

I'm not talking about Abromovich being a decent chap, just about the money he's spent on Chelsea.

Him being a person of good enough character to own a football club is another matter.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Not bothered about Abromivich really. Not bothered that they have won the league.

Not bothered that he's been accused of murder? That he xxxxx off the Russian people for xxxxxxxxx ? That he bought a club largely to avoid being xxxxxxxxx? What would a club owner need to do to concern you!?

Mate I know nothing of which you speak but in the current climate of Internet legality and possible slanderous actions being taken out on Joe public for their opinions on issues you may be advised to possibly reword some of that
  • Options
    I know where you're coming from NLA but those accusations have been heard in court, I'm not being original here! I'm not saying anything that isn't already on record, that's what's so nuts about his position. There's no debate about where he got his money from. The murder accusations have obviously been refuted but I'm not saying he's killed anyone, just that he's been accused in the past, or at the very least, associated.

From Wikipedia: "The Times claimed that... Abramovich's next target was the aluminium industry. After privatisation the 'aluminium wars' led to murders of smelting plant managers, metals traders and journalists as groups battled for control of the industry. Abramovich famously emerged as the winner of the aluminium wars. The Times stated that in a BBC investigation into Abramovich's wealth, reporter John Sweeney noted that, after the oligarch (Abramovich) emerged at the top of the trade, the murders stopped."

There's a really good Reddit post that explains his history pretty well: http://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/1l1l7m/how_roman_abramovich_owner_of_chelsea_fc_made_his/

If you do any Googling of this stuff, there's no shortage of websites to cite as sources.
  • Options
    Like I said mate I know nothing about Roman and where his money came or comes from other than the boy done well to make all he has from the shitty plastic toys in crackers, I didn't want you to get in trouble mate or give yourself any issues you didnt need
  • Options

I hate people having a go at mark hulyer, he was 100% Charlton and was ambitious. I know he went about it in the wrong way but I played football with his younger brother and can assure you he loved our club.

I'm not having a go, just stating what happened. I don't mind an ambitious chairman but what he did was a bit reckless. We all enjoyed it at the time but we nearly lost the club.

Maybe being a supporter his heart ruled his head, similarly when Goldberg went to Palace, he lost a few million and left them in a bad way financially.

Point being that Chelsea love Abramovic so ignore any discretions but if he were to be extradited to Russia and his money confiscated then Chelsea could go under and his name would be dirt.
  • Options
    Abramovic given up stewardship of Chelsea by all accounts.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sanctions are coming 
  • Options
    Cynic in me says the government have given Roman the heads up before any sanctions are actually imposed. 
    You can’t get much more cynical than me but I doubt the government are guilty here. I’m sure Abramovich was able to work out for himself that sanctions were coming his way. It’s been spoken about before the invasion started.
  • Options
    On Tuesday Boris, in The House of Commons, said Abramovich was "already facing sanctions". That wasn't the case at the time. Later the PMs spokesperson said Johnson had "mis-spoke".
    Maybe Johnson went in to early, maybe he was warning Abramovich in advance.
    Now that is an interesting point Sherlock
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He still owns Chelsea, so an asset which can be banned from doing business with any UK bank or at best frozen 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    He still owns Chelsea, so an asset which can be banned from doing business with any UK bank or at best frozen 
    They will more likely get limited to only 30 loans a season  :(
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    God I really hope this doesn't mean they're recalling Juan Castillo. 
    Absolutely- We might end up a shit team in freefall down L1 otherwise! Oh actually…….

Have they already coughed up for Burstow?