Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chelsea - Abramovich sanctioned (p9)

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2022
    IAgree said:
    sam3110 said:
    To be honest the fact that he's donating to the victims of Putin's invasion seems to distance him from Putin's actions quite a bit
    Well if you actually believe that’s where the money will go possibly….

Or he’s desperately trying to avoid sanctions and is cutting and running - I look forward to seeing the detailed breakdown of how he donates all £3 - £4 billion to Ukraine once his old pal has pounded it to dust.

An absolute charade and a disgrace!

Why is the government being so slow to act ?
    It's what they do, always too late and never enough, unless it benefits them.
  • Options
    The 'foundation' thing is the key. When this thing ends, unless it ends for us all, there will be massive contracts to be had in rebuilding the infrastructure. Lots of aluminium needed. So why trust a word he says when he could just donate to the Red Cross, who know what they are doing. Somehow or other we will end up paying, either by national grants, or via the UN, or somehow. And yes the victims include Russians, and I wonder if there will be an Abramovich Military Hospital somewhere in Moscow. 
  • Options
    The 'foundation' thing is the key. When this thing ends, unless it ends for us all, there will be massive contracts to be had in rebuilding the infrastructure. Lots of aluminium needed. So why trust a word he says when he could just donate to the Red Cross, who know what they are doing. Somehow or other we will end up paying, either by national grants, or via the UN, or somehow. And yes the victims include Russians, and I wonder if there will be an Abramovich Military Hospital somewhere in Moscow. 
    Yeah I was thinking along these lines. I wonder if Putin and Abramovich know a good Aluminum guy (it's Oleg Deripaska)? 

Do you have it over there where charitable donations are a tax write off, meaning the more you give to charity (a very, very, very broad definition here), the less tax you have to pay? Charities set up by wealthy individuals and companies over here tend to be a good way for them to avoid paying tax. And then you get into them retaining themselves, their friends, their families with "consulting fees" and the like, so you end up funneling the money back to yourself anyway.
  • Options
    I always thought the only reason Abramovich bought Chelsea was to legitimate himself and stop the Russians from killing him.
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:
    https://twitter.com/chelseafc/status/1499085708820160514?s=21

Puts a whole new perspective on this. Net proceeds to be donated to the victims of the war in Ukraine and the rebuild afterwards. 
    Whose war victims though ? I am synical by nature.
    They’re all war victims whether they’re Russian, Ukrainian or any other nationality.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    TelMc32 said:
    https://twitter.com/chelseafc/status/1499085708820160514?s=21

Puts a whole new perspective on this. Net proceeds to be donated to the victims of the war in Ukraine and the rebuild afterwards. 
    The cynic in me thinks he has not said which victims.  Russian soldiers have already died and more will.  They are victims too....
    I’m sorry I don’t feel sorry for a single Russian soldier in the slightest, maybe I will one day. 
    I don't usually get involved in discussions like this but here I have to say thousands of these Russian "soldiers" are just kids who have been conscripted into the army. Look at the pictures of them that are all over the press - young, small kids who haven't got a clue what the hell they are doing in Ukraine and who would obviously rather be anywhere other than in Ukraine.

Don't believe me - take a look at this. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10570529/Russian-soldier-breaks-tears-surrenders.html   Does he look like a deadly killer to you or a terrified kid who just wants to go home?

Both. 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    To be honest the fact that he's donating to the victims of Putin's invasion seems to distance him from Putin's actions quite a bit
    didn't quite say that as reported, 'the victims of the war' could refer to Russian civilians who have been affected, or indeed wounded and crippled Russian soldiers
  • Options
    Most of the oligarchs built their businesses from scratch - it's not like they stole the country's assets.

😂 
  • Options

Britain will not be able to sanction Roman Abramovich and other oligarchs for “weeks and months” because the government has been unable to build a case against them.

The Foreign Office and National Crime Agency have been unable to prove that there are “reasonable grounds” for designating the UK’s most prominent oligarchs for sanctions because they have struggled to link their finances to the Putin regime.

Liz Truss, the foreign secretary, wants to sanction Abramovich but has been left frustrated after being told that the government has been unable to build up a case against him and others.

The Times has been told that the crime agency previously attempted to build a case against Abramovich in 2018 but failed. Ministers have been warned that they could sue the government for millions if the decisions are made on a flawed basis.

• Options
    John Terry:

'Thank you Roman. The Best Owner in the WORLD.'

Never let it be said that Terry doesn't know or worry about who "bought" him. We wouldn't expect anything less would we?
    Just shows that money CAN buy you love
  • Options
    John Terry:

'Thank you Roman. The Best Owner in the WORLD.'

Never let it be said that Terry doesn't know or worry about who "bought" him. We wouldn't expect anything less would we?
    Unless I'm misreading your comment; Terry was at the club long before Roman came on to the scene.

Was a regular in their First Team, two years before he purchased them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2022
    They could use the yachts for Ukranian refugees. A nice symbolic act.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Meanwhile refugees from other parts of the world are prepared to risk their lives to leave the EU, to get to the nasty UK
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Have other countries found grounds to sanction Roman and our legal advice is not to follow suit ? That would be hard to justify. 

Not commenting on other individuals as i have no knowledge of them and this thread was about Roman A and the sale  of Chelsea. 

I assume if they could they would as I understand the UK previously limited his right to be here / residential status hence now based in Israel ?

Not defending him BTW. Just don’t know. 

I’d just be surprised if anyone comes forward now to buy the club and pay serious money wherever it ends up. Not a good time to invest generally in such projects as we had towards recession / high inflation etc.

Real world issues may see the financial bubble finally burst for the Premier League. 

• Options
    It's a brave man who posts Daily Mail links around these parts. 
    I've never "liked" a DM link before, but I did this one.