Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

has chris solly gone backwards ?

his passing,distribution and all round play this season has been very poor....

Comments

• Options
    You will not be popular for saying that!
  • Options
    I don't agree he has been poor in the slightest. I would say he has been a little below the standard of previous years (maybe because of the occasional resting and the chopping and changing in his back 4 partners) but still more often than not one of our better performers.
  • Options
    to be fair to him he had set a fairly high bar with previous seasons performances.

lots of change of colleagues around him and like a few others, playing games where they perhaps should have been rested.

love to see him get forward and looking forward to a screaming 30 yarder at some point. its gonna happen.

• Options
    SEFREE said:

to be fair to him he had set a fairly high bar with previous seasons performances.

lots of change of colleagues around him and like a few others, playing games where they perhaps should have been rested.

love to see him get forward and looking forward to a screaming 30 yarder at some point. its gonna happen.

you think he will score a better goal than his Blackpool one
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Welcome to CL......

Bournemouth, get your notepad out a new locomotive has pulled into the station
  • Options
    Got home tonight , my son informs me that Simon Church has been released by Charlton today, log onto Charlton Life, is Chris Solly our new scapegoat now churchy has gone?
  • Options
    He's had a few poor performances, but over the season has been pretty consistent.

Do you drop Messi because he's had a poor game?

My biggest criticism is as a captain, not a player.
  • Options
    He has been decent this season in my opinion - still wouldn't dream of dropping or replacing him.

The standards he set in the previous years were nothing short of exceptional.

Don't forget that he has had the weight of captaincy on his shoulders which he probably wasn't expecting at the beginning of the season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I wouldn't say he has gone backwards. The injury is the issue. That's what has halted his progress.
  • Options
    More than adequate, I'd say
  • Options
    Right, here goes....

He's not even the best right back in the club right now, let alone in the championship.

He hasnt ever been quick, but a lot of players seem to be flying past him this season, and his tackling and passing has been sloppier than usual.

He's still a decent player, mark my words, but he's not the outstanding player some people on here paint him as
  • Options
    Chris is definitely NOT a decent central midfielder.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    cjp said:

his passing,distribution and all round play this season has been very poor....

To attempt an answer to your question:

Anyone who attended Reading away would have seen a premiership standard performance, both defensively and going forward, from Chris Solly so the simple answer to your question is no he has not gone backwards he has if anything improved yet more in terms of potential excellence.

The question you perhaps should have asked is something along the lines of is Chris Solly as consistently good as he has been previously?

That is open to debate.

I have to say that I found myself posting on the marks threads once or twice comments along the lines of not quite up to the standards we have come to expect from a little guy who is better than John Terry.

However there are in my view mitigating circumstances for that drop in consistency, some of which others have already alluded to, such as the responsibilities of captaincy, playing twice a week with his chronic injury more than previously and not having the industry of Wagstaff/Wilson/Cousins in front of him as in previous seasons.
  • Options

Welcome to CL......

Bournemouth, get your notepad out a new locomotive has pulled into the station

All over it guvnor...
  • Options
    The problem is that we are so used to his good solid performances. Unless he does something Messi like we now think he has had a bad game.

We must also bare in mind that he has played a few times in midfield

He would be my first pick every week to be honest
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2015
    No don't be silly.

He has played a lot of games and for the majority of them has been one of our better players. Got a bit worse towards the end of the season but there was nothing to play for and he was probably drained from playing so much. One of the last people I would be looking at replacing.

The only thing I will say bad about him is that he doesn't suit being captain. I feel like it's an unnecessary pressure for him and there are better options for captain. One of our most professional players, but just not commanding enough to be captain.
  • Options

SEFREE said:

you think he will score a better goal than his Blackpool one
    yes and at home
  • Options
    I was at Reading away and it was an absolute defensive masterclass from Solly. That said, I thought he became quite inconsistent as the season went on (as did many of our players). I personally thought that the captaincy was a burden to him, and something I hope he doesn't hold onto next season. I said on another thread that just once and a while, I'd like to see the bloke crack a smile.
  • Options

I was at Reading away and it was an absolute defensive masterclass from Solly. That said, I thought he became quite inconsistent as the season went on (as did many of our players). I personally thought that the captaincy was a burden to him, and something I hope he doesn't hold onto next season. I said on another thread that just once and a while, I'd like to see the bloke crack a smile.

Tend to agree re the captaincy, and is he still having a problem with his knee?
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Maybe Henderson should be the Captain / Vice-Captain next year depending on what happens with Jackson... He's definitely a leader from the back.

I always felt as though Michael Morrison was hampered when he had the armband and his performances would ultimately drop (in my eyes)... Maybe this is the same with Solly
  • Options
    Chris has set himself such high standards over the past 3 years that when he does have below par games (Not that many from the games I seen this season) you certainly notice. Would not swap him for any right back in the championship. Regarding the captaincy I do agree that it just not seem to fit with Solly. It was the same with Richard Rufus. Great player but it seemed the captaincy was a burden.
  • Options
    I think he done really well this year considering he hardly played last season due to injury.
  • Options
    The truth, as usual, is somewhere in between.

When emotion becomes involved our views are are clouded.

During the season, I looked at the scores that players received, and sometimes wondered where they came from. (We all have favourite players, myself included!)

I would see some posters giving Solly MoTM scores of 8, when I thought he was decidedly average. Not a criticism of the person giving the score. We all see games in different ways.

What I will say about Chris this season, is that for the first time since he made the position his own, at times there has looked like a real threat to him being first choice no. 2.

Gomez has come in, and although playing out of position, has looked very comfortable at right back.

Also, Chris has been asked occasionally to play in midfield. He has been spectacularly unsuccessful in that role. Leading to him being responsible for Bournemouth's 3rd goal on Saturday.

Things like this do cloud supporters judgement.

One other thing to add. I think Chris can count himself lucky that our academy isn't turning out right backs of the quality as it is left backs. This will guarantee him being first choice for another couple of seasons.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Right, here goes....

He's not even the best right back in the club right now, let alone in the championship.

He hasnt ever been quick, but a lot of players seem to be flying past him this season, and his tackling and passing has been sloppier than usual.

He's still a decent player, mark my words, but he's not the outstanding player some people on here paint him as

sad to say it but I agree. also not Captain material imo.

• Options
    Generally, I think a captain is better placed, if he's a leader of men, a person happy to speak out & give orders.

I've met Chris a few times and he doesn't strike me as that.

I mean, Chris giving orders to Bikey, Ben Haim etc doesn't perhaps, seem the best fit to me.