Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

has chris solly gone backwards ?

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2015
    The quality and speed of the wide men on both wings in the championship
    has increased this season and Solly ,Wiggins and Fox are all being done for pace at times. Solly two worse games this season were against Bournemouth,
    Because of the pace and stamina of Pugh, Wilson and Ritchie; who always seemed to know where the pass from Yann was going.

We now have a Wider pitch and a fantastic playing surface which the attacking teams like Bournemouth, Norwich and Watford love to play their adventurous style of football on.
    Watford created 10 chances at the valley about the same as they did at home.
    The difference was they scored 5 at home and missed the lot at the valley.

Before Wilson lost confidence he dove tailed well with Solly which JBG being an attacking minded player can not replicate.(am not saying Wilson should play instead of JBG but giving the reason for the lack of cover)

The skill level was decent: JBG,Watt,Bulot, and Diarra when he played
    but we must be the slowest team in the League, Finishing 12th was fine considering some of our obvious weaknesses.
  • Options
    12 games played 13/14
    38 games played 14/15

Chris has had a fair season and played more games than I expected with his knee issues, but is there anyone in the squad better than him at Right Back? Gomez possibly, but he is a true centre half.

Has the captaincy effected his performances? No, but I do think someone who is more vocal would be a better candidate.

He will be with us hopefully for many seasons to come.
  • Options

The truth, as usual, is somewhere in between.

When emotion becomes involved our views are are clouded.

During the season, I looked at the scores that players received, and sometimes wondered where they came from. (We all have favourite players, myself included!)

I would see some posters giving Solly MoTM scores of 8, when I thought he was decidedly average. Not a criticism of the person giving the score. We all see games in different ways.

What I will say about Chris this season, is that for the first time since he made the position his own, at times there has looked like a real threat to him being first choice no. 2.

Gomez has come in, and although playing out of position, has looked very comfortable at right back.

Also, Chris has been asked occasionally to play in midfield. He has been spectacularly unsuccessful in that role. Leading to him being responsible for Bournemouth's 3rd goal on Saturday.

Things like this do cloud supporters judgement.

One other thing to add. I think Chris can count himself lucky that our academy isn't turning out right backs of the quality as it is left backs. This will guarantee him being first choice for another couple of seasons.

You say Gomez is a threat to Solly, but then add that the academy isn't churning out right backs that challenge him. Were Fox a right back, I genuinely don't believe he'd be any threat to Solly. Who are these other left backs that we are producing? I assume you mean T H-D? I'll reserve judgement until he plays in a competitive game for the first team.
  • Options
    his performances at the beginning of the season were starting to get back to the solly of old. Since luzon's come in he's been a bit more wobbly. Not really a captain imo.
  • Options
    He is a shy character, and I think his own game has suffered with the armband. When Jacko comes back I think we will see a better player out of Sols.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Right, here goes....

He's not even the best right back in the club right now, let alone in the championship.

He hasnt ever been quick, but a lot of players seem to be flying past him this season, and his tackling and passing has been sloppier than usual.

He's still a decent player, mark my words, but he's not the outstanding player some people on here paint him as

Nor would anyone be when they can't train every day, they have had a major rehabilitation treatment regime and have to be careful playing certain circumstances/pitches, his injury is still with him and always will be. He's good enough for the Championship, he had the potential for more but the injury has set him back to it, he's also a lovely lad with his feet on the ground, an important part of the squad
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

During the season, I looked at the scores that players received, and sometimes wondered where they came from. (We all have favourite players, myself included!)

I would see some posters giving Solly MoTM scores of 8, when I thought he was decidedly average. Not a criticism of the person giving the score. We all see games in different ways.

What I will say about Chris this season, is that for the first time since he made the position his own, at times there has looked like a real threat to him being first choice no. 2.

Gomez has come in, and although playing out of position, has looked very comfortable at right back.

Also, Chris has been asked occasionally to play in midfield. He has been spectacularly unsuccessful in that role. Leading to him being responsible for Bournemouth's 3rd goal on Saturday.

One other thing to add. I think Chris can count himself lucky that our academy isn't turning out right backs of the quality as it is left backs. This will guarantee him being first choice for another couple of seasons.

You say Gomez is a threat to Solly, but then add that the academy isn't churning out right backs that challenge him. Were Fox a right back, I genuinely don't believe he'd be any threat to Solly. Who are these other left backs that we are producing? I assume you mean T H-D? I'll reserve judgement until he plays in a competitive game for the first team.
    I suggest you go and see the kids play. There is also Archie Edwards, who's a little bit special.
  • Options
    No, silly question. He is fantastic and questioning our better players is odd IMO.
  • Options
    Sent off Against Millwall, that cost us the game ! He will never be forgiven by some !
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    cjp said:

his passing,distribution and all round play this season has been very poor....

You are Colin Sams and I claim my £10.

He's not been to the same consistent standards of previous years, granted, but they were extraordinarily high standards. We still look one hell of a lot better with him there than without, Joe Gomez notwithstanding. He's been underrated before, I'm sure he will again, but my God we've got a hatful of problems long before you even think of looking at right back.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

wmcf123 said:

I suggest you go and see the kids play. There is also Archie Edwards, who's a little bit special.
    As I say, I'll wait until they play consistently for the first team to judge either Edwards or Holmes-D. If they are fantastic, I'll be delighted.
  • Options
    Still a great player, but I suspect that he will be slightly disappointed with his end of season performances, I do wonder if his knee is hampering him
  • Options

Sent off Against Millwall, that cost us the game ! He will never be forgiven by some !

If anything he gave us a fighting chance by stopping a certain goal and allowing us to save the penalty. It was the rest of the team who bottled it when it came to hanging on against a side who are worse than England's women's team.
  • Options
    What's his average Stat bank score that will determine in it, I ain't been but I have not read on here that solly is the problem, in fact the issues have been on the other side which I thought at the time was too harsh, and upfront in the goal whilst hendo was injured
  • Options
    It's more that overall playing standards in the Championship have improved so much that Solly is now just another decent, hard working defender .. ironically, by far the best right back in the Champ that I have seen this season is ... yes .. Mr Francis @ Bournemouth
  • Options

Still a great player, but I suspect that he will be slightly disappointed with his end of season performances, I do wonder if his knee is hampering him

I'm not sure we can keep saying about the Knee: this have been on going since he was in the academy. Chris is human after all ? he has bad games like every one else who has every pulled on a CAFC shirt. (Just fewer than most over his career )

• Options
    The fist 6 on a Google search and he is averaging around 6.3 out of ten don't sound a bad return tbh
  • Options

I would disagree that he is a "great" player. If he was great, he would be playing in the Premiership, and for England.

No trying to dig you out, but the word "great" tends to be overused.

He is a "bloody good" player, who would make the average park player look like mugs. (As put by Nelse in his book "Left Foot Forward".)

The nearest we have in our squad to a great player, (at this moment) is probably Diarra, as his record shows.

Some players are young enough that they might become "great", but I think Solly's chance of being "great" have, sadly, passed him by...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A great charlton player
  • Options
    He is a great player hampered by injuries. There are many in the Championship.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    He may have been sent off v Millwall but his tackle in the opening minutes was my favourite of the season. No one in our team is even close to his quality of tackling, we would be a better team if they were.