Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Taking all sports into account, the greatest, current, British player is...

13»

Comments

• Options

Brownlee and Farah are undoubtedly the best in their events, and have been undisputed world number ones for a while now.

Think it's been a few years since either brownlee was no. 1 hasn't it?
  • Options
    Chizz said:

... Andy Murray. Right?

Sounds like you're wrong
  • Options
    edited May 2015

1. Murray
    2. Farah
    3. Froome
    4. Wiggins
    5. Mcilroy

Pretty good list if you add A Brownlee, might argue over Froome/Wiggins order if judged on several recent years and not 'today'. Some of it does depend on the quality of and size of the opposition which possibly counts out Hamilton
    Vettel and Alonso are probably top 10 racers of all time Lewis has been up against, same as Murray has been against Fed/Nadal/Djok. Unfair to disqualify him on that regard and Lewis would be number 1 for me.

Just not enough competition. To participate in the sport you need to be pretty well off from certain countries and have opportunities. That's why cycling and rowing are out the window for this.
    Lewis Hamilton grew up on a council estate in Stevenage and his Dad held down 3 jobs to get him through Karting. People forget what an incredible rise to the top it was (god I sound like a right lefty now!).

Not necessarily directly linked to sporting ability, but Hamilton, Murray and McIlory are box office. Proper global stars.

In terms of popularity - Hamilton has a huge fanbase as demonstrated by SPOTY, and Murray has as many haters as fans. So Lewis wins there.

In terms of ability - he was a phenomenon growing up. But to be fair so were the others - it could go to either.
  • Options
    Charlotte Dujardin
  • Options
    I can't believe so many are saying Wiggins... He's been shit the last couple of seasons!
  • Options

Could argue for Carl Froch to be up there too

He can do it in front of 80,000 at Wembley... not sure if anyone knew?
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

RedPanda said:

Rory McIlroy.

Not British though is he?
    Our proper name is The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland: he's from the Norn Iron bit and has played for the Republic of Ireland previously. Counts him out in my opinion.

Steve Redgrave gets my vote all time shame he's retired: gold medals at 5 Olympics over 20 years in a very tough sport is hard to beat imo.

So for me, it's Patrick Barrie who won the UK Tiddlywinks Singles Championship and beat his American nemesis, Larry "Horsemeat" Kahn, in a World Singles match. Barrie and Khan have both won the UK title 8 times but Khan has won the world championship 23 times so beating him takes a special talent!

This article goes some way towards explaining the dedication and training that are needed. cityam.com/article/how-does-it-feel-be-tiddlywinks-grandmaster
    My god I cannot stand Steve Redgrave. That might be why I don't think his achievements are anywhere near as impressive as you (and many others) do. If anyone thinks Carl Froch is bad, at least you don't have the sneaking suspicion that he's wearing five medals under his jumper at all times, just waiting for someone to ask about it.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

cafcfan said:

RedPanda said:

Rory McIlroy.

Our proper name is The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland: he's from the Norn Iron bit and has played for the Republic of Ireland previously. Counts him out in my opinion.

Steve Redgrave gets my vote all time shame he's retired: gold medals at 5 Olympics over 20 years in a very tough sport is hard to beat imo.

So for me, it's Patrick Barrie who won the UK Tiddlywinks Singles Championship and beat his American nemesis, Larry "Horsemeat" Kahn, in a World Singles match. Barrie and Khan have both won the UK title 8 times but Khan has won the world championship 23 times so beating him takes a special talent!

This article goes some way towards explaining the dedication and training that are needed. cityam.com/article/how-does-it-feel-be-tiddlywinks-grandmaster
    My god I cannot stand Steve Redgrave. That might be why I don't think his achievements are anywhere near as impressive as you (and many others) do. If anyone thinks Carl Froch is bad, at least you don't have the sneaking suspicion that he's wearing five medals under his jumper at all times, just waiting for someone to ask about it.
    Haha so true. Redgrave gets on my tits.
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

cafcfan said:

RedPanda said:

Rory McIlroy.

Haha so true. Redgrave gets on my tits.
    Is Chris Hoy's achievement (6 Olympic Golds) better than Steve Redgrave's? If so, he's probably in the frame, on the basis that he is still competing in professional sport (albeit not in cycling any more).
  • Options
    Kevin Pietersen?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:

Kevin Pietersen?

Is he still playing?

• Options
    Chizz said:

Off_it said:

Kevin Pietersen?

Is he still playing?

Apologies. Scrub that. I misread the question.

I didn't see the word "sport" first time around.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    McIlroy hacked his way to a close-fought 7 shot win last night, including a course record 61 (11 under) on Saturday. The previous record holder? Himself.

Since Rory broke up with Caroline 52 weeks ago (PGA/Euro Tours):

23 starts
    7 wins
    16 top 10s
    $12.9M
    2 majors
    1 Ryder Cup
    216 under par

No one is close in the world rankings. At current he may even be the best sportsman in the world.