Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

John Hewie RIP

Comments

• Options
    One of my early heroes. John played in the first game I ever saw at The Valley in early 1962. RIP Long John.
  • Options
    I first saw him play in 1963 and he immediately stood out with his style of play as much by his physique.Always caught the eye and I felt reassured when he was in the team.Thoughtful,calm,professional and a great credit to himself and our club.
    My condolences to all his family.
    God bless,John.
  • Options
    rip long john a true charlton great
  • Options

John Hewie turned Pro with CAFC in October 49, and finally left us after Playing
    530 league and cup games in 1966; spanning 3 decades !
    When you consider some players just stay for 3 season now ?
    Autumn, winter and spring.

John is a true Legend of Charlton Athletic
    and i'm old enough too have seen a few of his last games For CAFC.
    My Dad told me about how he would play in any position to help the team
    and including keeper (No subs then)

19 caps for Scotland as well.

Do any of our older fans know if John had a
    South African, Scottish or English accent ?
    Or a combo of all 3.

RIP.

I think Hewie, Leary and Firmani all had a fairly strong South African accent, especially late 50's.......
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Most Capped player at Charlton for over 43 years overtaking Bert Turner's record of 8 England caps in 1957 with his 9th cap against Switzerland. 19 games, 2 goals and played in the 1958 World Cup Finals for Scotland.

His record was overtaken by John Robinson for Wales who won his 20th cap against Finland in 2000.

Hewie's debut for Scotland was in a home internationals match against England at Hampden Park in front of just under 133 thousand fans. Game ended 1-1.
  • Options
    RIP to a great Valley legend
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I can still remember John Hewie wearing a mauve shirt (and probably white knickers as they were then) playing in goal for Charlton against Plymouth. On one occasion, the ball ran up his right arm before he salvaged it around the back his neck before it slipped away and rolled down his other arm. Then, he managed to grasp the ball firmly to his chest and shouted at his defenders to move upfield.

A great stalwart from my young days; my father rated him highly and never had a bad word for him (unlike some of the others)

RIP
  • Options
    Not that it matters but in another link didn't it say the score was 2-0 or something different at least to 0-0 when he missed that penalty in the 1958 World Cup Finals v France , which the above link says it was
  • Options
    You are quite correct the score was France 1 Scotland 0 at the time of the penalty.

The newspaper report says that Fontaine made both French goals from fast breaks down the right wing. The first was a cross that Kopa scored on 22 minutes and the second he cut inside and scored himself on 45 minutes. It reports that John Hewie missed a penalty on the half hour mark.

In Gary Imlach’s fine book “My father and other working-class football heroes” he has collated the memories of some of the players involved in the heat of the match and these prove different. Eddie Turnbull is quoted as saying there was no score when the penalty was awarded. The penalty miss struck the post and re-bounded over the heads of all the players crowded at the edge of the box towards Kopa and Fointaine who broke away to score. His colleague Jimmy Murray in a separate interview had the same recollection.

Apparently the ball did indeed re-bound from the penalty kick but such was the pushing and shoving for the ball the referee blew for a foul.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    One of my favourite players of all time, and great to see him in that photo of Bartram and Firmani. An incredibly reliable performer, and the sort of man that you would want by your side when you were leaving the trenches. RIP old son.
  • Options
    Gone but not forgotten, as the saying goes. He joined the club/team the same year that I started following (1951-2). Not the type of player who might win POY, but an excellent player (hence his international caps, when Scotland were a bit higher in the pecking order), but also one who always gave of his best and one you could totally rely upon. RIP John.
  • Options
    A couple of messages from John's son that appeared on the Activity page.

John's Son, The messaging doesn't work very well so I hope you don't mind me putting them here as I'm sure many others would like to hear from you.

---------------
    johns-son → Tunwellsaddick
    Really enjoyed reading your piece about my dad. He was probably running to jump over the fence to the house he was staying as Charlton FC used to own the house in floyd road. Right next to the stand. I was basically born in that house. And when my nappies were hanging on the line. Jackie Kennedy would holes in them with his air rifle. But I don't think he would ever try and avoid his fans. His funeral is on the 26th may. At the Boston crematorium. All fans of charlton are welcome. May my dad and hero rest in peace

May 13 Comment
    johns-son → Henry Irving
    That short used to belong to me. My dad John Hewie gave it to me 20 years ago. But I thought I was just sitting in my cupboard not being appreciated by anyone. So I donated it to the club he loved and gave his life too.
    His funeral is at the Boston crematorium on the 26th may. All his fans are welcome

------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for letting us know about the funeral and I hope a few Addicks will be able to attend to pay their respects. Do you have a time for the service?

The shirt is now prominently displayed in the Charlton Athletic Museum and we are very proud to have it.

• Options
    The Glasgow-based Herald has published a tribute to John Hewie in today's edition. Here is the link. It is a subscription site but you get a few free goes each month and so you should be able to get access.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/comment/obituaries/john-hewie.125889863

John's haul of 19 caps was substantial for the time and in a period I understand when Scottish selectors regularly changed their views on selecting Anglo/Scots, i.e. Scots playing in England. I understand that there is a photograph of John playing in goals in a Scotland practice game wearing a Scotland "Rosebery" shirt. Before Scotland adopted dark blue they played some matches in primrose and pink hoops - the Lord of Rosebery's racing colours. They last played in these shirts in 1951 but they remained in the Scotland training kit for many years later hence John donning one to hone his goalkeeping skills before an international. I am on the search for the photograph.
  • Options
    Nice messages from John's son.
    I also enjoyed reading Tunswell's story.

• Options
    The passing of another member of the South African contingent is very sad - for the generation that remains of those supporting the club in the late 40's and 50's there will always be affection for John Hewie. Loyal, skilled, versatile, ever competitive. His heroics in goal at Brighton , when a win was needed to stave off relegation is a strong memory , but the lingering recall is that intent accompanied by such a long stride , as he pushed up the field having completed yet another dispossession.

Hewie famously described his compatriot Stuart Leary as being the 'master', when talking about the South African era. He was perhaps too modest about his own abilities, and the great contribution he made to the fortunes of the club

RIP
  • Options
    The funeral will take place at Boston Crematorium on 26th May at 12.30. Fans are welcome to attend.

The club will be represented.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Minutes applause at the first home game. If Mick Russell is the ref he will only make it last half a minute.
  • Options

Minutes applause at the first home game. If Mick Russell is the ref he will only make it last half a minute.

In fact if Mick Russell is the ref he would more than probably deliberatly not allow us to have any kind of applause or silence as that ref has clearly got something very personal against us.
  • Options
    I've been told that the funeral was a humanist ceremony. Charlton were mentioned but of course there was so much more to his life than his years with us.

Charlton were represented by Keith Peacock, Derek Ufton, Brian Kinsey, Chris and Sue Parkes as well as John Rooke from the PFA and a local fan.

RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    "A local fan" lol.

The coffin was covered with a '3' Charlton top.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

"A local fan" lol.

The coffin was covered with a '3' Charlton top.

I knew you'd know
  • Options

I've been told that the funeral was a humanist ceremony. Charlton were mentioned but of course there was so much more to his life than his years with us.

Charlton were represented by Keith Peacock, Derek Ufton, Brian Kinsey, Chris and Sue Parkes as well as John Rooke from the PFA and a local fan.

RIP

I hope if it was you, you weren't trying to get the shirt for the museum
  • Options

RIP

I hope if it was you, you weren't trying to get the shirt for the museum
    Rather poor taste joke.
  • Options
    I can assume you that it was not meant to be disrespectful to John (or anyone for that matter)
  • Options
    all those years ago,like brian Kinsey john was a Charlton legend,rip big guy you won,t be forgotten
  • Options
    John Hewie would have been 90 today. He passed away after a long battle with dementia.

I remember it being mentioned that his full back partnership with Lock was the best in the country.

Enjoyed seeing him play many times.

• Options
    edited December 2017
    I didn't realise he played with Frank Lock .
  • Options
    Certainly and without doubt one of our all time greats. A true and genuine Charlton legend.