Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

John Hewie RIP

124»

Comments

• Options
    I remember him mostly playing right half. He was very tall, which made him look a bit awkward at times, but incredibly reliable as I remember. Sam Lawrie in front of him on the wing, great player also.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    limeygent said:

I remember him mostly playing right half. He was very tall, which made him look a bit awkward at times, but incredibly reliable as I remember. Sam Lawrie in front of him on the wing, great player also.

Saw him quite a few times notably at Spurs in the 3Rd FA Cup in their double winning year 60/61 where we lost 3-2 and had a 6ft half back line of Hewie, Jago, Tocknell IIRC. Also remember him in goal v Plymouth as both our regular keepers were injured and think we won 1-0.
  • Options
    Good memories of long John, remember him playing both full back positions and clear memories of him playing in goal.
  • Options
    Surely one of our outstanding players? Should easily be in the Hall of Fame.
  • Options
    As a matter of fact, he played in every position for us.
  • Options
    I thought he played every position except outside right and outside left but stand to be corrected on that.

An amazingly versatile player in any event.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    I thought he played every position except outside right and outside left but stand to be corrected on that.

An amazingly versatile player in any event.
    Mmmmm........you may be right there thinking about it a little bit more?
  • Options
    We have the credit card size intinary issued to the Scotland squad for some 1957 warm up and world cup games.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Gave me a big smile when, as a kid, I tied some red and white balloons to the net at my first ever away game at Brighton's old Goldstone Ground. John was playing in goal because of injury to Willie Duff.
    Never forgot that smile.
    R.I.P. John 
  • Options
    Great memories of John playing in goal 2 games at the valley.

One 'save' sticks out, a shot straight at him, the heavy leather ball goes through his hands 😅 bounces out off his chest.
    Great save.

RIP
  • Options
    Four Charlton players in this Anglo- South African team that played a touring South African side at Highbury.  Photo of a previous tour game at the Valley

• Options
    Uber rare IFK Eskilstuna v Scotland programme played three days before Scotland's first game in the 58 world cup v Yugoslavia

• Options
    RIP John Hewie, Charlton legend.

Some said he and Frank Lock were the best fullback pair in the country.
  • Options
    Can anyone confirm these are Hewie with Scotland or is it Charlton?

The first one is definitely CAFC. Hewie jumping with Arsenal forward Doug Lishman at Highbury in 1954. Proper away kit.

The third is John with the Scotland squad, not sure about the other two.

• Options
    Can anyone confirm these are Hewie with Scotland or is it Charlton?

The first one is definitely CAFC. Hewie jumping with Arsenal forward Doug Lishman at Highbury in 1954. Proper away kit.

The third is John with the Scotland squad, not sure about the other two.

Not sure about Pic2, Henry ... but don't forget that the boys often trained at the Stones sports ground on Woolwich Road (it's the Stone Lake Retail Park now).  That could be Pic4, although I can't really orientate it to match what would have to be Woolwich Road in the background.  That tall building behind the player on the left should be the giveaway.

Do we recognise any other players?  Are they Charlton?

John Hewie was a regular in Bob Hawkes' fruit + veg shop back in the day (corner of Woolwich Road and Rainton Road).  My Mother worked there and I can confirm that he was the perfect gent.

I think he also lived in one of the houses owned by the Club in Harvey Gardens (no. 81?).
  • Options
    Saw John play many times.  A great servant to the club and a real legend.  Went to his testimonial.

RIP John, thanks for the memories.