Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Parking Ticket at Asda - Advice please.

Comments

• Options
    The parking 'contract' was taken out by the parking firm and the driver.

Just a shame you have absolutely no idea who was driving the car at the time the 'contract' was taken out. Perhaps the parking company can let you know who the driver was so you can inform them of their 'fine'?
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Just a shame you have absolutely no idea who was driving the car at the time the 'contract' was taken out. Perhaps the parking company can let you know who the driver was so you can inform them of their 'fine'?

but this approach is lying .. if it's proved otherwise !!!!!! .. you get my drift .. tell the truth and be damned
  • Options
    Good luck Greenie, I blew my top when I got 8 different fines come through the post.... And my son works there!
  • Options
    Lurker said:

Ignore it. Unless you tell them who was parking the car, they can't go after anyone.

They'll send a few letters and then go away. I've had this a few times. It's a different matter if it's a council ticket, these third party companies have no power.

Agree with this totally I've done it a few times and nothing comes of it including parking in the car park opposite the valley by currys they send a few letters but have no ground to enforce it
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I used to work there, the company that does the car park is separate from ASDA (it's in Scotland), so ASDA won't be able to help. The exit camera should have taken two separate pictures which it clearly hasn't done. I used to get tickets because I was parked there all day working despite the fact ASDA had put my reg on a list for the parking company, so this doesn't suprise me. I used to get my tickets cancelled as ASDA would speak to the parking company, however towards the end of my employment we were told they could no longer get involved in parking tickets. Lovely!
  • Options

From the website linked above:

'This step-by-step guide shows how to fight unfair private parking tickets at supermarkets, hospitals, retail parks and elsewhere, including using the private parking appeals systems. Out of 23,500 people who appealed via one of these systems in the year to March 2014, 45% were successful.'

So 45% were successful? So 55% were unsuccessful and presumably paid a larger parking ticket as most of them offer you a discount for paying within 14 days.

I'm not suggesting that one should just pay, but bragging that their system works less than half the time seems a little strange to me.

Good point. But the thing is the appeals process through POPLA is binding on the firm and costs them money BUT free to the parker and there's no obligation on the parker to accept the ruling. So you can still refuse to pay, wait for court papers (which may never arrive) or offer a much smaller payment on the basis that the speculative invoice is not a genuine pre-estimate of loss.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

This is out of date. The Protection of Freedoms Act was introduced in England and Wales in October 2012, bringing in the concept of keeper liability so they can, if they so wish, get the keeper's details from the DVLA and go after them instead.
  • Options
    What happened to the guy whose friend had been found drunk in a car with the keys but he hadn't driven there as it was he mate.

There was a funny thread on it.
  • Options
    I work at the store nearest to The Valley, I would say your best bet would be to phone up the Swanley store, they will probably pass you through to one of their head offices and hopefully they'll resolve it, you should definitely not pay for it though. Might be handy to contact Watchdog they might help.
  • Options
    Go in there and park again. Then take the car out and take picture proof it's somewhere else. Then go in again as before. This should trigger another ticket. Then let them sue you and you will make them look like bloody fools in court.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This is really simple.

Just by explaining the facts there is not a court in the land that would side with the parking firm.
  • Options
    Was he in a different parking space?
  • Options

Was he in a different parking space?

Presumably - but it's irrelevant either way.

He came, went, came back and went again. If their cameras can't figure that then it's their problem. I've done it several times myself and never had an issue.

• Options
    Even if has returned it's much later in the day.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

From the website linked above:

'This step-by-step guide shows how to fight unfair private parking tickets at supermarkets, hospitals, retail parks and elsewhere, including using the private parking appeals systems. Out of 23,500 people who appealed via one of these systems in the year to March 2014, 45% were successful.'

So 45% were successful? So 55% were unsuccessful and presumably paid a larger parking ticket as most of them offer you a discount for paying within 14 days.

I'm not suggesting that one should just pay, but bragging that their system works less than half the time seems a little strange to me.

Good point. But the thing is the appeals process through POPLA is binding on the firm and costs them money BUT free to the parker and there's no obligation on the parker to accept the ruling. So you can still refuse to pay, wait for court papers (which may never arrive) or offer a much smaller payment on the basis that the speculative invoice is not a genuine pre-estimate of loss.
    Updated to say the Beavis case appeal seems to have scuppered the genuine pre-estimate of loss get out pending any supreme court ruling. Anyway not really relevant to this matter which is just a false claim by the cowboys. Hey, here's a thing are they doing it deliberately or through incompetence? How about reporting them to the plod citing conspiracy to defraud?
  • Options
    He parked in two different spaces, I have appealed through their online appeal procedure so far they have not even acknowledged the appeal.
  • Options
    Burn the store down.
  • Options
    Sorry it's been one of those days.
  • Options

Burn the store down.

Wheresmeticket?

Greenie's son's got it!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Burn the store down.

You are Goonerhater and I claim my £5.

• Options
    Greenie said:

He parked in two different spaces, I have appealed through their online appeal procedure so far they have not even acknowledged the appeal.

They probably won't, these private companies try and get money out of people the easy way, if they have to fight for it they won't bother because they have no jurisdiction. What ever the outcome of the appeal, if they ever bother responding, don't pay it, you don't have to, it's merely an invitation to pay an invitation that you have the legal right to decline.
  • Options
    I used to live near Ascot but once parked in a car park in Bracknell on a wet Saturday afternoon when the area was about 20% full. I parked slightly over two grids, miles from any other car, paid for my stay but was fined £60. Moving away after 10 years never shopped in Bracknell again. How much did that cost the council?
  • Options
    They rarely reply - I have appealed against loads and in the majority of cases you never hear anything.

My only fear is that I have some major credit type problem that they are creating.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Burn the store down.

Admin alert, Goonerhater's hijacked @Wheresmeticket? account!

Edit; Note to self, must log in earlier in the week to get one over on @Addickted :wink:
  • Options
    I was at Asda (Swanley) this afternoon today, and saw this new sign in the window:

It looks like your son isn't the only one, and that a fair few people have been going in store to vent their frustrations? Now could be a time to complain to Asda regardless, but take it above the store - as they are certainly aware that their contracted parking firm are failing miserably and alienating their customers..!
    PL54 said:

They rarely reply - I have appealed against loads and in the majority of cases you never hear anything.

My only fear is that I have some major credit type problem that they are creating.

Maybe someone more knowledgable than me can jump on this, but I'm fairly sure you're safe enough.

The only people who are able to write on your credit file are those you have a credit agreement with. In the case of Debt Collection Agencies (DCA) they will most likely have bought the rights to the agreement with a debt, and/or be an internal department of the company you have an agreement with; so they often get away with it.

That's not to say these scummers wont have tried it, but checkout Noddle/CreditExpert and check if you are concerned. A few quick letters and you should be able to get any adverse data removed if it has been placed on there unlawfully.

Of course, if you got a County Court Judgement (CCJ) from refusing to pay and then not turning up to court (thus having the judgement go against you by default) then this would change things and it would be on your credit file, but you would almost certainly know about this and I can't see any parking firm going to the trouble of court costs.
  • Options
    tattoo time pal
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Just had an email from the parking Nazis, they have upheld my sons appeal, so nothing to pay,
    Thanks again for all your help.
    A result.
    Charlton Life the people's champion.
    Cheers

Have you sent them your invoice for the time spent on the appeal yet?
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Greenie said:

Just had an email from the parking Nazis, they have upheld my sons appeal, so nothing to pay,
    Thanks again for all your help.
    A result.
    Charlton Life the people's champion.
    Cheers

Have you sent them your invoice for the time spent on the appeal yet?
    Ha I'll let that sleeping dog lie!