Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

15th May, 2005. | Charlton Athletic 2-2 Crystal Palace

Comments

• Options
    Leuth said:
    What's even the point of having relegated Palace any more, look at them now and look at us now. We should have lost, kept them up and then the butterfly effect wouldn't have played it out like this, the Worst Possible Timeline
    Spot on.  Dowie would have stayed at Palace. We would have got someone else. A whole different parallel universe.
    Dowie came to us 13/14 months later.
    However, so f****** what, we relegated our most hated rivals at home on the last day of the season.  A dream for the rest of the country, although City did it{at Old Trafford} against United in '74.
    City fans will tell you @Leuth is wrong.

Point of order, our biggest rivals are Millwall. Always have been, always will be. 

(I know the season isn't finished but I'm starting this perennial summer thread early)

:-) 
    I would 'support' the spanners against them every time.
  • Options
    Well before we went to Shithurst, Palace were the most hated team amongst us loyal fans and going there to share their shit hole was a bitter pill to swallow and it made it even more sweeter that when we returned to the Valley, specially with the success we had after.
  • Options
    Younger generation hate Palace because we regularly played them and barely ever came across Millwall. That's changed recently and you can tell by the fact we only ever sing anti Millwall songs now. 
  • Options
    Whatever our respective positions now, it still made me smile watching it all unfold on last night's Match of Their Day
  • Options
    Off_it said:

However, so f****** what, we relegated our most hated rivals at home on the last day of the season. 
    As Bournemouth says , point of order , no way can palace be our most hated rivals , they’re so far away from us.  Prolly takes as long to get to them as it does palace to get to Brighton and we take the piss out of that .
    although coming from Bromley , a palace area , is why some of these outside SE postcodes don’t understand that our one true rival is the scum .
    Indeed distance wise, West Ham are nearer to us that Palace (and a lot easier to get to by public transport too!)

Without the ground sharing years, the Palace rivalry would have stayed fairly minor you imagine, around the level of our rivalry with Gillingham or West Ham
    You cant say "without the ground sharing years" and just dismiss it like it didnt happen though.

The rivalry with Palarse may not have been much before then, but since then it has become much greater. The bloody portacabins and Ron Noades saying they would paint an end red, as if that would make a difference. And our rent money being the difference in them getting a team together that got promotion while we struggled on piss poor gates. The fucking 75 bus journey sat in traffic at Sydenham. The soulless ground. The shit pitch. Seeing red AND blue everywhere, when everyone knows you're either red or blue, not both. The plastic badge. "Eagles" in Croydon? The knob head fans who are all called Nigel and love their mums, literally. 817 fans for a first team fixture.

Sorry, but nobody is dismissing those years on my watch. I still come out in a cold sweat thinking about it.
    I wasn't dismissing the ground sharing years, just suggesting that if they hadn't happened, the rivalry wouldn't be so intense now
  • Options
    Off_it said:

However, so f****** what, we relegated our most hated rivals at home on the last day of the season. 
    As Bournemouth says , point of order , no way can palace be our most hated rivals , they’re so far away from us.  Prolly takes as long to get to them as it does palace to get to Brighton and we take the piss out of that .
    although coming from Bromley , a palace area , is why some of these outside SE postcodes don’t understand that our one true rival is the scum .
    Indeed distance wise, West Ham are nearer to us that Palace (and a lot easier to get to by public transport too!)

Without the ground sharing years, the Palace rivalry would have stayed fairly minor you imagine, around the level of our rivalry with Gillingham or West Ham
    You cant say "without the ground sharing years" and just dismiss it like it didnt happen though.

The rivalry with Palarse may not have been much before then, but since then it has become much greater. The bloody portacabins and Ron Noades saying they would paint an end red, as if that would make a difference. And our rent money being the difference in them getting a team together that got promotion while we struggled on piss poor gates. The fucking 75 bus journey sat in traffic at Sydenham. The soulless ground. The shit pitch. Seeing red AND blue everywhere, when everyone knows you're either red or blue, not both. The plastic badge. "Eagles" in Croydon? The knob head fans who are all called Nigel and love their mums, literally. 817 fans for a first team fixture.

Sorry, but nobody is dismissing those years on my watch. I still come out in a cold sweat thinking about it.
    I wasn't dismissing the ground sharing years, just suggesting that if they hadn't happened, the rivalry wouldn't be so intense now
    Apologies then. That whole time has bad memories.
  • Options
    whats happened to the bonkers shenanigans thread
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Leuth said:
    What's even the point of having relegated Palace any more, look at them now and look at us now. We should have lost, kept them up and then the butterfly effect wouldn't have played it out like this, the Worst Possible Timeline
    Spot on.  Dowie would have stayed at Palace. We would have got someone else. A whole different parallel universe.
    Ah, maybe. But would you still be trying to piss on peoples chips?

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/88977/15-years-ago-today#latest
    Ah, the irony!
  • Options
    timken said:
    What's that all about?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    timken said:
    U ok mate? 

• Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    timken said:
    U ok mate? 

Perhaps he suffers from memory loss?
  • Options
    The only time in 55 years of supporting Charlton that I hated going to home games is when we played at shithurst park.
    I supported the valley party and done my bit in helping return to the valley. 
    So while I agree Millwall are our main rivals I still hate palarse more. 
    Stripy Nigel wankers 
  • Options
    Palace fan in peace. I was at a wedding in Sweden on that day, but was of course annoyed we went down, and at the circumstances of it happening at your place. We aren't rivals though - before the groundshare we hardly mattered to each other. Brighton is a much bigger thing for us, and Millwall we both have in common. At the moment, watford hate us for some unknown reason - maybe jealous that we come from a slightly bigger mundane part of the M25 environs than them. At the time when Curbishley left you lot I thought you might struggle, and though I liked Dowie as an impact manager it did seem a risky appointment of yours at the time. I'm sure you'd swap that day for some stability now though 
  • Options
    Palace fan in peace. I was at a wedding in Sweden on that day, but was of course annoyed we went down, and at the circumstances of it happening at your place. We aren't rivals though - before the groundshare we hardly mattered to each other. Brighton is a much bigger thing for us, and Millwall we both have in common. At the moment, watford hate us for some unknown reason - maybe jealous that we come from a slightly bigger mundane part of the M25 environs than them. At the time when Curbishley left you lot I thought you might struggle, and though I liked Dowie as an impact manager it did seem a risky appointment of yours at the time. I'm sure you'd swap that day for some stability now though 
    Piss off 
    and there's me being all erudite and friendly. Why do I bother? Anyway, chillax bro, it's just Fussball mein Freund!
  • Options
    Piss off 
    and there's me being all erudite and friendly. Why do I bother? Anyway, chillax bro, it's just Fussball mein Freund!
    Why do you bother? We're not rivals after all. You're match happier with the weirdest "derby" in football.
  • Options
    Completely ambivalent towards palace. Although get more fired up when we play them. Hate millwall far more. I dislike west ham and Chelsea more than I do palace.
  • Options
    loving the ambivalence
  • Options
    loving the ambivalence
    Morning mate.
    Have a nice day 😁
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It always amazes me how many millwall and palace fans just happen to be
    reading a Charlton forum when their name is mentioned. And we mean nothing to them.
  • Options
    The only time in 55 years of supporting Charlton that I hated going to home games is when we played at shithurst park.
    Stripy Nigel wankers 
    While Ron Noades might have been a bit of a sh*t towards us during that period, it's only fair to point out that it wasn't Palace's fault that we ended up ground sharing there. 

Looking at the map, Chelsea and Fulham are nearer to Palace than we are, while of courser Wimbledon are far nearer
  • Options
    Anyway, other than perhaps Spurs/Arsenal I think London derbies aren't the greatest anyway, as the population in London is too transient, and so many people live in a different area to the club they support. When If Charlton lose to Millwall, it's not as if most people in Greenwich or Woolwich care, whereas in Liverpool or Glasgow most people will support one of the 2 clubs.

The best derbies to me are either where there are 2 evenly matched sides in a City - Liverpool, Glasgow, Sheffield, Milan, Birmingham (to an extent) or where there are 2 neighbouring  one club cities/towns, e.g. Newcastle/Sunderland or Soton/Pompey where you really feel its your town against the neighbouring one
  • Options
    Stripy Nigel wankers 
    While Ron Noades might have been a bit of a sh*t towards us during that period, it's only fair to point out that it wasn't Palace's fault that we ended up ground sharing there. 

Looking at the map, Chelsea and Fulham are nearer to Palace than we are, while of courser Wimbledon are far nearer

There is something like fifteen league clubs closer to Crystal Palace than Brighton, including Stevenage, Southend and Gillingham.  

• Options
    Stripy Nigel wankers 

F*** 'em!
  • Options
    Nothing changes......were'nt a threat all 2nd half but managed to squeeze in a goal by an unlikely goalscorer.
  • Options
    Thanks for posting Callum, my niece and nephew led the teams out that day and I’ve forwarded the clip on to them and my family . 
    Both still Addicks in spite of their we all hate Leeds scum father .
  • Options
    Loving the mood swings on Dowies muggy face, punching the air when they equalise, fist pumping towards the directors box when they go in front, utter dejection at the final whistle.
  • Options
    "The turnaround is complete" you sure mate?