Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FA CUP FINAL

Looks like the BBC are trying to go back to the old days and make cup final day more of an event:

FA Cup: BBC to bring back all-day coverage of final for 2015
The BBC has announced it will devote a whole day of programming to the 2015 FA Cup final, reviving the tradition of all-day coverage of the Wembley showpiece.

The match on Saturday 30 May sees defending champions Arsenal take on Aston Villa live on BBC One.

Highlights of the TV build-up to the big game include special editions of Saturday Kitchen and TOTP 2.

There will also be special content on Radio 5 live and the BBC Sport website.

The programming will include (all times BST):

•BBC Breakfast (06:30-10:00, BBC One)
•FA Cup Rewind: Classic Finals (08:30-09:30, BBC Two)
•MOTD Kickabout (09:30-10:00, BBC Two)
•Saturday Kitchen ( 10:00-11:30, BBC One)
•FA Cup 50 Greatest Moments (10:00-12:00, BBC Two)
•Fighting Talk (11:00-12:00, Radio 5 live)
•Football Focus (12:10-13:00, BBC One)
•Gary Lineker on the Road to FA Cup Glory (BBC One, 13:00-14:00)
•FA Cup TOTP 2 (14:05-14:30, BBC One)
•Pointless FA Cup Special (14:30-15:20, BBC One)
•The Road to Wembley (15:25-15:55, BBC One)
•MOTD LIVE: FA Cup Final Build Up (15:55-17:15, BBC One)
•MOTD LIVE: Arsenal v Aston Villa (17:15-19:50, BBC One)
•5 live Sport: FA Cup Final: Arsenal v Aston Villa (12:00-19:30, Radio 5 live)
•MOTD: FA Cup Final highlights (22:50-23:25, BBC One

Comments

• Options
    my favourite day of the year when I was a kid (birthday and xmas day aside)

used to love flicking between BBC and ITV watching the whole day.

am glad this time actually that it's a 5.30 KO as personally that suits me, but would generally be better with a 3pm KO
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    All incredibly contrived unfortunately.

Kids won't be jumping out of bed early to watch all of this because they are genuinely excited about the FA Cup Final, like they used to be.

Its pointless forcing the issue - even though the BBC will try with about a hundred phrases worded along the lines of "Who says the cup isn't special anymore?", when in truth many, many people have lost interest in it.

Both teams have been at Wembley in this competition already, and I expect neither were too bothered about it until they got to the Quarter Final stage. Most of the Arsenal fans I know still aren't that fussed.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

All incredibly contrived unfortunately.

Kids won't be jumping out of bed early to watch all of this because they are genuinely excited about the FA Cup Final, like they used to be.

Its pointless forcing the issue - even though the BBC will try with about a hundred phrases worded along the lines of "Who says the cup isn't special anymore?", when in truth many, many people have lost interest in it.

Both teams have been at Wembley in this competition already, and I expect neither were too bothered about it until they got to the Quarter Final stage. Most of the Arsenal fans I know still aren't that fussed.

I don't understand why this happens, and by don't understand, I mean I understand entirely, money.

But it just takes away from it a bit... Wembley should be a holy grail that you reach when you really, really achieve something special, like not bottling it against Sheffield United.

I am 24, and I will probably watch it, purely because it is a live football game on terrestrial TV and I don't have Sky, but I wouldn't bother going somewhere to watch it or even streaming it on my PC at home, it's just a game like any other, and I wish it still had the magic it had for the generation above me.
  • Options
    If Villa win, will they be the first team to win the cup in three different centuries?
  • Options
    Way over the top, not the BBC fault the F.A cup has lost its sparked to a degree.
  • Options
    I went from 1970 to about 2005 without missing one. But now I couldn't give a toss about it now.
    The best teams dont field the best player from the 3rd round onwards, they have another priority.
  • Options
    Whatever they do the FA cup final will never get back to being the highlight of the Football year. And as for a 5.30 kick off? give me a break it HAS to be 3 o'clock. Numptys
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Looks like the BBC are trying to go back to the old days and make cup final day more of an event:

The poor old Beeb doesn't have a lot left on the sporting front unless one is 'into' women's football, women's cricket, women's boat race and the men's boat race of course .. therefore any big event will be covered as if it were a coronation/royal marriage ..

• Options
    The spirit of the cup final will not be recaptured with 5:15 kick offs. It should be 3pm of course.

Whether it can be recaptured at all I don't know but I will be up for it of CAFC ever get to the final. Can't get excited about Arsenal v whoever though.
  • Options
    Until I read this thread, I genuinely didn't even know who was in the final
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why is it 5:15?
  • Options
    The over-exposure of the Premier League has to take a big portion of blame for the demise of the FA Cup. You get 10x more talk each season about who is in the "Race for Fourth".

Absolute nonsense.
  • Options
    redman said:

The fa are who fans
  • Options
    I might've watched it for Gerard, unlikely to watch it again unless we fluke it one year....
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

I might've watched it for Gerard, unlikely to watch it again unless we fluke it one year....

Seriously ?

He's been shite for ages
  • Options

redman said:

The fa are who fans
    ITV insisted the move because they said it was easier and more lucrative to sell advertising space in the evening. Why the BBC didn't ask to go back to 3pm is beyond me.
  • Options
    Well I'm still excited for it even if no one else is - interests me far more than "the race for fourth".
  • Options
    This year's FA Cup final does feel more important than previous years, with the PL and top 4 places sorted quite early, no English teams in European finals, and no World Cup/Euros to follow. It's also the the final game of the season which helps
  • Options
    Riviera said:

redman said:

The fa are who fans
    ITV insisted the move because they said it was easier and more lucrative to sell advertising space in the evening. Why the BBC didn't ask to go back to 3pm is beyond me.
    think it was claimed that viewing figures were much higher for the later KO time, so it appears it's here to stay. Wasn't it moved originally as there were prem games on the same day previously - even though there aren't any other games that day this year
  • Options
    I'm looking forward to it.should be decent
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I thought it was originally moved to that time because there were Premier League games on the same day?

The 2012 FA Cup Final was the 131st final of the FA Cup, the world's oldest domestic football cup competition, and was contested between Chelsea and Liverpool on 5 May 2012. It was the first FA Cup Final to be sponsored by Budweiser. The date of the 2012 final, as with the 2011 final, clashed with Premier League fixtures.[5] While the date of the 2011 final was affected by the Champions League Final, the 2012 fixture was scheduled to provide a clear four-week period between the end of the English season and the start of UEFA Euro 2012.[6] To avoid having league games take place simultaneously with the final, the match kicked off at the later time of 5:15 p.m., rather than the usual 3:00 p.m., by which time the other fixtures had ended
  • Options

Riviera said:

redman said:

The fa are who fans
    think it was claimed that viewing figures were much higher for the later KO time, so it appears it's here to stay. Wasn't it moved originally as there were prem games on the same day previously - even though there aren't any other games that day this year
    That's what I said, but in a more cynical way.
  • Options
    No wrestling! No Kenny Lynch or Tarby!
  • Options
    Bring back des
  • Options
    I am looking forward to it as usual. Always more interesting when the finalists include a team outside the Sky 4. Whether Arsenal field their reserves, it kicks off at 9.23 at night or Jeff Stelling thinks that gaining twenty points less than the champions is more important than the cup is irrelevant to me.
  • Options
    No cup final It's a Knockout!! Amateurs!
  • Options
    Oh for the days. Wake to check the weather, quick punch up with kid brother, then downstairs for the coverage of FA Cup final day. BBC never ITV, would Charlton EVER get to Wembley in my lifetime? I used to watch the whole lot, oh for the days..

Don't get me started on those midweek European nights!
  • Options
    Some miseries right here on this board (looks up).

If the BBC announced their coverage will be starting at 5.13pm so they can fit in extra episodes of Antiques Roadshow and Countryfile, people would be losing their sh*t saying that the BBC doesn't care for the 'peoples game' or major sporting events anymore.

Fair play to them for trying to make a day of it again.
  • Options
    DanDavis said:

Some miseries right here on this board (looks up).

If the BBC announced their coverage will be starting at 5.13pm so they can fit in extra episodes of Antiques Roadshow and Countryfile, people would be losing their sh*t saying that the BBC doesn't care for the 'peoples game' or major sporting events anymore.

Fair play to them for trying to make a day of it again.

Agree, fair play to them for trying. Although they shouldn't have lost the contract to ITV in the first place, that when it all went tits up.
  • Options
    What makes people think that advertising figures will be better if its on BBC?

And what evidence is there that BBC viewing figures will be better at 5:15 than at 3pm?

In considering that second question take into account what would have been on otherwise.

Seems more likely that the BBC were offered to bid for coverage of a 5:15 kick off. I'm no great fan of the Beeb but l'm more suspicious of the clueless and gutless FA.