Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

If we made the play off final could we fill it?

Comments

• Options
    I don't think the allocations are anything like 40,000+ are they ?
  • Options
    Think Norwich and Boro both got 39k
  • Options
    Why is this question being asked when we have already filled it once??

As AB says, it was tough for a lot of people to get tickets for 98 - i remember having to beg Peter Varney for some coz i wasnt a season ticket holder nor did i have any 'previous' for The Valley that season- and this was to try to ensure that Sunderland fans didnt sneak in.
  • Options
    Yes as lots of plastic fan will show there ugly heads and be come Charlton fans again just like the premiership days and football for a £5 games.
  • Options
    we've definitely increased our support base beyond measure since 1998 in terms of CAFC fans who don't now regularly attend, but to sell 39k we would still need to entice a fair number of non-CAFC friends and family.

Out of interest, do you think you would be bringing non-CAFC at £54, £64 and £98 tickets?

Older people maybe but I don't see too many U25s being able to manage that.
  • Options
    I don't think we'd have any trouble at all selling out for a championship play off final
  • Options

Essex_Al said:

We struggled to sell our allocation against Sunderland!

That's a myth. At the time the club had no useful database of its supporters, so clumsy restrictions were eventually used to prevent Sunderland fans buying tickets. There was a real shortage of tickets after the first day of sale because the club failed to reserve seats as it had promised for supporters groups. CASC could have sold unlimited numbers via its satellite branches and did sell tens of thousands of pounds worth.

The club also went back for extra tickets because of the demand.

With Rockspectacle I sold the last of the tickets - £60 in the Olympic Gallery, as I recall - on the Saturday morning (CASC took over at The Valley because the club was closed) and there were still people trying to get tickets then.
    I walked into Wembley with an unused spare ticket. Bought a ticket for a friend that didn't actually want it as he was invited to a corporate day. Hoped to sell it outside but only Sunderland fans were looking for tickets. I wouldn't sell to a Sunderland fan so somewhere back in England I have a rare ticket complete with stub!
    bet the museum would like that
  • Options

Essex_Al said:

We struggled to sell our allocation against Sunderland!

That's a myth. At the time the club had no useful database of its supporters, so clumsy restrictions were eventually used to prevent Sunderland fans buying tickets. There was a real shortage of tickets after the first day of sale because the club failed to reserve seats as it had promised for supporters groups. CASC could have sold unlimited numbers via its satellite branches and did sell tens of thousands of pounds worth.

The club also went back for extra tickets because of the demand.

With Rockspectacle I sold the last of the tickets - £60 in the Olympic Gallery, as I recall - on the Saturday morning (CASC took over at The Valley because the club was closed) and there were still people trying to get tickets then.
    I walked into Wembley with an unused spare ticket. Bought a ticket for a friend that didn't actually want it as he was invited to a corporate day. Hoped to sell it outside but only Sunderland fans were looking for tickets. I wouldn't sell to a Sunderland fan so somewhere back in England I have a rare ticket complete with stub!
    bet the museum would like that
    I was thinking the same thing : - )
  • Options
    If ever there was a case of crossing a bridge when you come to it this is it.

Any way, we're going up automatically : - )
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I imagine this year is the sort of conundrum that keeps oohaah awake at night
  • Options
    £76 for a Club Wembley ticket isn't that bad, and I wouldn't have to mix with plebs
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Middlesbrough took over Trafalgar Square on Sunday night.
    So not only did they sell their allocation of 39K but lots of them paid out for hotel,transport,Ms whiplash,and copious amounts of alcohol.(no change from £300)
    So at least i know why the Krankie manager fancies the play-offs over going straight up (explains why he sent the keeper up against Fulham, when a draw would have put them top of champ and put pressure on Howe's Heroes, )

Middlesbrough average 2014/15 is 19'562 so they found 20k from the industrial wasteland catchment area, where the recent Benefit street is filmed (Stockton on tees)

• Options
    Of course we would fill it.
  • Options

Yes as lots of plastic fan will show there ugly heads and be come Charlton fans again just like the premiership days and football for a £5 games.

15,000 crowd or 27,000 crowd made up of 15k pwoper fans and 12k plastics. I know what I'd rather see.

Bums on seats dear boy, bums on seats!
  • Options
    edited May 2015

we've definitely increased our support base beyond measure since 1998 in terms of CAFC fans who don't now regularly attend, but to sell 39k we would still need to entice a fair number of non-CAFC friends and family.

Out of interest, do you think you would be bringing non-CAFC at £54, £64 and £98 tickets?

This is a bit like the discussion we had half a lifetime - oh, it's only 15 months - ago about the Sheffield United quarter final. Build it and they will come!
  • Options

And as I recall Airman there was one hugely sentimental ticket we sold first:).

Charlie Revell? Although I think the club had already given him one and he'd lost it.
  • Options

Charlie Revell? Although I think the club had already given him one and he'd lost it.
    Charlie Revell - wow, used to be my teacher at school !
  • Options

My PE teacher at Woolwich Poly.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Probably worth making the playoff final before worrying how many tickets we can sell.

Would take a few if we got there, but by the sounds of things they wouldn't be welcomed by all the 'hardcore' and labelled as ugly plastic mugs.
  • Options

If we can do it, (& a Wembley visit is a fairly common thing for us), then surely you could shift 40k tickets!?
  • Options

If we can do it, (& a Wembley visit is a fairly common thing for us), then surely you could shift 40k tickets!?
    So is Belmarsh.
  • Options

mine too, Bexleyheath Comprehensive

• Options

Were your prices as eye watering as that?
  • Options
    You only have to look at the demand when we have them £5 matches of no consequence. A match that matters, anyone and everyone with the slightest support for Charlton would come out of the wood work. I don't think cost for a one off would put many off.
    To see Charlton at Wembley I'd willingly part with £98. It isn't as if its our second home.
  • Options
    I think our support size is underestimated when it comes round to (proper) big games that mean something
  • Options
    Of course we woukd fill it wouldn't be a problem
  • Options
    edited May 2015

I think our support size is underestimated when it comes round to (proper) big games that mean something

I know i'm playing devil's advocate a bit here, but what do you class as big game?

In the last few years our two biggest games at The Valley were:

1. the home play-off leg with Swindon. Win that at Wembley. Even with our good value prices we could only flog less than 19k to home fans.

2. Our league winning title celebrations v Hartlepool. We had to drop the prices right down to sell out the ground.

Airman mentions the Sheff U cup game, but to put it in perspective that would mean for every single person that went Sheff U there would be another six people to go with them (at double, treble, quadruple the pricing).

In the last 6 years, we have only ever had one game (at non-discounted pricing) at the Valley where the home support has equalled 50% of what a Wembley allocation would be (a 2010 Leeds game where i'd even question that)

No doubt we have a lot more lapsed / fairweather element now than years before, i just don't automatically assume there would be demand to sell 39k at the prices they are set at these days. A lot of people (non-regular, non-CAFC) would baulk at paying 64-98 when they could watch it on the telly.

Just my opinion.
  • Options

Don't like to be pedantic but as we have increased our support base beyond measure, how do you conclude we would need to entice non CAFC F&F? You'd have to be able to measure our support base to know that!

Next time I suggest a preference system that includes a stub from the Full Members Cup final. Of course we would sell out - just the memory of the 1998 game would see to that.