Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Magic of the Cup ???

Comments

• Options
    That's not what he means at all, he means change happens, football is rarely played by the biggest teams in the country at 3pm on a Saturday like it or not he is right, kids these days have grown up with that since sky and the premier league

Times change and you have to accept it and adapt

It's not going to suit everyone but the truth is those who miss the tradition myself included are getting older and soon there will be more that will believe that super Sunday and Monday night football soccer Saturday is the traditional football coverage than The vidi printer, ceefax and teletext and MOTD

• Options
    Think a lot of the magic is lost when the teams 9 times out of 10 playing it are already in Europe & on the gravy train via the Champions League - it becomes as meaningless as the Charity Shield in that case. Actually going to watch it today though - first time in a decade at least that I've bothered and hoping that Villa win.
  • Options
    You don't win the fa cup just to get in to Europe you want to win it because it's the fa cup
  • Options
    700 teams down to 2 is just amazing
  • Options
    Super Caley Go Ballistic.
  • Options

That's not what he means at all, he means change happens, football is rarely played by the biggest teams in the country at 3pm on a Saturday like it or not he is right, kids these days have grown up with that since sky and the premier league

Times change and you have to accept it and adapt

It's not going to suit everyone but the truth is those who miss the tradition myself included are getting older and soon there will be more that will believe that super Sunday and Monday night football soccer Saturday is the traditional football coverage than The vidi printer, ceefax and teletext and MOTD

Fine but don't talk about the magic of the FA cup then. We have to adapt and that means accepting that its just a distraction from the league.

I don't accept this change by the way. I don't watch it. No interest. Of course that will all change if Charlton get past round 3, but there's about as much chance of Sepp Blatter resigning....
  • Options
    IA said:

Were Falkirk atrocious?
  • Options
    Grew up (if you can call it that) 70's
    Was 10
    Now 9.5

Still love it. Had a family Bbq and now counting down to kick off.
  • Options

IA said:

Were Falkirk atrocious?
    Probably
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I'd enjoy it a lot more if Arsenal weren't in it.

But, yes, as a boy, the FA Cup Final was better than Christmas.

Really enjoyed Wigan winning a couple of years back. Still enjoy the underdog.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    but you nor anyone over 30 don't own the magic of the cup what about those who know no different , you don't watch it that's fine no one impacted by that other than you just because change happens it doesn't detract from the magic of the cup 702 teams down to 2 that's a magic competition with a great history and if the way football is watched now means the future is just as good for the cup then it remains magic
  • Options
    Why did someone bother to start this thread then?

Its about opinions and we'll just have to differ on this.

Now back to the Test Match....
  • Options
    First FA Cup final I remember clearly was Spurs beating Burnley 3-1 in 1962.

I was addicted to it for years but lost interest around the late eighties early nineties. if I'm in i'll still watch it but will not plan a day around it.

I am in front of the telly now for instance but only half watching and if the wife hadn't decided she was cold around 4:30 I'd still be at the coast.
  • Options
    agreed, i held alot of the same thoughts until i got the chance to go a couple of years ago, and even with no attachment to either side watching wigan beat city was a magic fa cup moment and made me reconsider
  • Options

agreed, i held alot of the same thoughts until i got the chance to go a couple of years ago, and even with no attachment to either side watching wigan beat city was a magic fa cup moment and made me reconsider

That's a big thing though. I suspect that a lot of us haven't been that lucky.
  • Options
    2 cracking goals to be fair.
  • Options
    Grew up in the 60s, pretty sure coverage/history started about 9am, watched it through to the end 10/10
    Now 1/10 .........because I just looked up the score.
  • Options
    Growing up in the 70s 10/10
    now 8/10

on the way to Sheffield last year 11/10
  • Options

It's the fa cup it's the greatest domestic cup competition In the world,

I long for a charlton final appearance, I love the fa cup I love the whole history of it, and we are part of that history

Gregg dyke just Said the most truthful thing I have heard from the fa

The problem with letting old men make the decision on the future of the fa cup programing is that they yearn for yesterday and the truth is yesterday doesn't exist

I had the privilege of attending the Wigan vs man City final and with no alligence to either team the fact I could say I took my son to the fa cup final and share that with him, is something I will never forget and neither will he

The past is a foreign country NLA. They do things differently there.
  • Options
    I still watch the final religiously. I think the only one I've ever missed was Chelsea v Liverpool because we had our last game on the same day. Still saw second half though. I've never been to a final and probably never will because I'll only go if we are in it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

now 8/10

And on the way back?

• Options
    I don't watch the build up these days but I'm sure that if Charlton were playing I'd be crying like a two year old through Abide With Me.
  • Options
    yesterday's bore was far from magic, Villa didn't manage a single shot at goal during the game, the gunners won at a canter .. however, to stretch a point, Arsenal ? ... they were m***c
  • Options
    Love it as always. Still get the same feelings as when I was a kid.
  • Options

now 8/10

And on the way back?

The next morning -5/10
  • Options
    Its been said before, but playing semi finals at Wembley has killed a lot of the magic. Also, the old Wembley was so iconic, even if a bit run down by the end. It probably needed replacing, but in doing so a lot of history went with it.
  • Options

semi finals at Wembley has killed a lot of the magic.

Totally agree, also the Cup Final used to be the only game between league teams a lot of people ever saw on the telly. Now it's just another game to some people. Still love it myself.
  • Options
    Grew up in the 90s

Then - 8/10
    before yesterday - 7/10
    Now 6/10

not a huge amount of difference but after yesterday my enthusiasm is waning even more.
  • Options
    So that's 2015 done and dusted.

How many are already getting excited at the prospects of the 2016 third round draw, in which Charlton will of course get drawn against a mid table championship side or Millwall and will go out tamely on either scenario? Let's assume we get the good old Wendies at the Valley this time, what price a gate of more than 8k? Magic!
  • Options

now 8/10

Growing up in the 70s 9/10

Now 4/10

On the way back from Rotherham last year 1/10