Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Magic of the Cup ???

13»

Comments

• Options
    Importance when growing up: 10/10

Importance now: 10/10

Decade grew up: 70s & 80's
  • Options
    Copied from a similar thread in Feb 2013:

Isn't it like a self fulfilling prophecy? As more and more people say it's losing 'it's magic' then so more and more believe it is. Of course, there is no real magic in the first place, just a good feeling and a sense of excitement.

Is it because the big clubs care less? If so I say good - sod them all - it gives us more of a chance and I do bloody well want to win it. It's one of the things on my shortlist of things I want to see or do before I die.

I personally say there is magic in the FA Cup. What's more we can win it but I can't see us winning the league. I personally would go for the cup and if necessary field a weakened team in the league. You may think this crazy but I find the lack of respect for the grandest oldest football competion in the word pure idiocy.

Think about it and you too may conclude that the FA Cup is the most important thing for Charlton Athletic. Why have a club if you don't want to win anything which is essentially what a lot of you are saying (without realising it). If we as supporters made this clear to the club then I'm sure we'd get a lot closer to winning it.
  • Options
    Grew up in the 60's 10/10

Now 0/10

Went shopping yesterday at 5.30. Shops were empty

Now if Charlton were to ever reach a final ...
  • Options
    _MrDick said:

Grew up in the 60's 10/10

Now 0/10

Went shopping yesterday at 5.30. Shops were empty

Now if Charlton were to ever reach a final ...

The shops would be busy
  • Options
    Grew up 70s
    Then 10/10
    Now 0/10 unless I have a bet on it or Charlton are in it
  • Options
    Decade grew up: 90s

Then - 9/10
    Now - 3/10

Watching the BBCs coverage yesterday was good because they made you feel as though this competition meant absolutely everything. But once the game is underway, you realise that it is just a 'nice to have' for a club like Arsenal and their annoying fans.

How can it mean anything to me if it hardly means anything to those who are properly competing for it?

The fact that this debate comes around each year proves that the special feeling around cup final day is gone. When it actually did mean something, there was no need to debate it!

And it's not only the big clubs who don't take it seriously any more. The attendances are down for lower league and Championship clubs involved, often because they usually play second string sides until they get to 5th round.

I've grown to really dislike the FA Cup because of it does hurt as a die hard football fan to see how much it is disrespected in the era of modern football.
  • Options
    Judging by the players reactions and the thousands of fans out in North London today for a parade, I think it still does mean a lot, even if the bigger clubs fans that don't it win, let on.
  • Options
    When we all went to Sheffield utd, it mattered the conversation about a Wembley appearance was every where

Funny it meant so little that day to so many and amazing that the performance we got annoyed so many

For a competition that meant so little I have no
    Idea why so many bothered to attend
  • Options

When we all went to Sheffield utd, it mattered the conversation about a Wembley appearance was every where

Funny it meant so little that day to so many and amazing that the performance we got annoyed so many

It'd have been the same if it had been the Carling Cup Semi Final or probably the JPT
  • Options
    PL54 said:

It'd have been the same if it had been the Carling Cup Semi Final or probably the JPT
    Not at all. Does anyone really give the same value to The League Cup as The FA Cup? I don't think so. As for the JPT: I see it as an embarrassment to even be in it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I.think it was a whoosh moment Jimmy