Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Marko Dmitrović

Comments

• Options

Well if the network, and the management of CAFC within it, had worked properly, Marko could have done a year with Alcorcon and returned to us with more experience.

Having watched him out here in the Euro U21s, frequently being the only serious defence against utter humiliation of his country, I'm one of his big fans.

Still think the younger signings should have gone to League One on loan rather than abroad - Marko and Polish Pete etc. could certainly have benefited from learning English Football in an inferior league rather than going abroad to a whole different style
  • Options
    Talal said:

redman said:

Bit of a double edged sword, if he really is any good he wont want to be stuck on bench all year

He won't be with Hendo's injuries.
    Can't believe I said Hendo. How very Robinson.
  • Options
    edited May 2018

Seems that Marko is one of those few that was a good signing (along with Gudmundsson | Bulot | Buyens etc.)

Unfortunately he was just signed at the wrong time when we didnt need another Goalkeeper!!

I think he got tarred with the brush that all network type signings are rubbish (as so many were), especially after the Thuram fiasco.
  • Options
    Dmitrovic is a top keeper and i was very surprised we sold him to Alcorcon after the loan (I say sold, it was inevitably undisclosed and therefore probably a piñata and a few old pesetas they found down the back of their sofa)
  • Options

Well if the network, and the management of CAFC within it, had worked properly, Marko could have done a year with Alcorcon and returned to us with more experience.

Having watched him out here in the Euro U21s, frequently being the only serious defence against utter humiliation of his country, I'm one of his big fans.

Still think the younger signings should have gone to League One on loan rather than abroad - Marko and Polish Pete etc. could certainly have benefited from learning English Football in an inferior league rather than going abroad to a whole different style
    I think you are making the mistake of applying logic to the regime.

The two never got on.
  • Options
    Marko suffered from being associated with the Duchatelet Project at a time when we were shipping in loads of useless foreigners. He looked a very good keeper and along with JBG, Buyens and Bulot were the rare success stories from the experiment.
  • Options
    Marko was a better than decent keeper. However, he suffered with English fans, because of his entirely continental habit of punching the ball, rather than catching it.

As I remember his punches always took the ball out of the danger area, but was still met by howls from the covered end...
  • Options
    Just scored a penalty against Atletico Madrid
  • Options
    How bizarre, I wonder how he ended up being the penalty taker over the outfield players
  • Options
    How bizarre, I wonder how he ended up being the penalty taker over the outfield players
    Dunno maybe he takes pens better than them 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dmitrovic was a good keeper. Shame he turned up at the same time as the shit shower of players from Roland and at such a turbulent time on and off field. 
  • Options
    Scored against arguably the best keeper in the world too, amazing
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Shit players like Buyen, Bulot, Vetokele,  Baur, Sarr,
    the Icelandic chap, Dmitrovic.
    Crikey that is 7 players without trying. 
    I am not a Roland fan but I think people say things that are not true or exaggerated to support their bias.
    I dont think anyone has called Gudmundsson or Bauer crap.

Buyens was a brilliant midfielder and spot on from the spot.

Personally I know he had his critics but I liked Bulot.

Sarr we all know had a mistake in him but on his day was a great defender.

Vetokele I dont think we ever saw the best off due to injuries.

Dmitrovic was never given a proper chance IMO.

But there is no denying we also got tosh.

Ajdarevic had about enough stamina to see 30 minutes tops.
    Reza was never made for English football.
    Koc we never even saw
    Thuram Ulien I cant even put him into words lol
  • Options
    I am not a Roland fan but I think people say things that are not true or exaggerated to support their bias.
    exceptions, could come up with at least  twenty to counter that but I am late for bed but there was the French chap, the Iranian chap, the Danish chap ....
  • Options
    The problem when we had that type of team was the Management not the players themselves

(1) they needed someone who knew the English game so the likes of Sarr could understand the physical side of things

(2) we needed stability, with Roland constantly replacing Powell, Riga, Peeters, Luzon we never had it

(3) we needed stability amongst the squad... Buyens, Bulot they were loans, the former wanted to go home fair enough but the latter wanted to stay, then you had the likes of Dmitrovic thrown in with Tucudean and Polish Pete who werent given enough time to adjust to England and the culture. Meant the turnover was too great, how the hell do you build a united squad when the players keep changing? 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Dmitrovic was a good keeper. Shame he turned up at the same time as the shit shower of players from Roland and at such a turbulent time on and off field. 
    Rumours in Spain that he’s on his way to Sevilla next season to be their number one...
  • Options
    I would throw Teixeira in with that list as well. We got Alou Diarra via the links abroad. Tal Ben Haim is in a different stratosphere to some of our recent defenders - he came direct from Liege if I remember.

Plenty wrong with that era as we all know - but the player recruitment side isn’t one I would put under the spotlight personally. 
  • Options
    Relatively easy to buy decent players, not so easy to buy a successful team.  Roland failed on that front.  Sure we were promoted under him but only once he had lost so much interest we didn't have a CEO or FD and just let the playing management team get on with it.  No coincidence that was our best moment in his ownership.
    The disinterest that nearly led to the demise of the club...yes a truly great moment I don't  think.

Getting players to click is not easy. That is not a fault of Two Sheds or any other owner though.  To do that one needs good players and we all know that good players don't always settle somewhere or have a problem like Watt. 
    O like the way bias is still reinforced by exaggeration of the quality of Foreign players.I thought it was the Foreign management that was a problem as much as anything. 
    Of course its Roland's fault... To get good players to click you need to hire a decent Manager - We potentially had those but there were periods when we didnt, even players were going off in the summer having to arrange their own off season plans, Vetokele came back with an achilles problem as there was no one to manage it probably

That all feeds back to the top, the person who penny pinched wherever he could so as a result we didnt bloody get results!! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dmitrovic was a decent keeper but got branded with the same brush as a number of the failures.

I always felt sorry for him because he wasn't treated fairly by the fans or the club.  He was young, inexperienced but clearly very talented but he wasn't given a chance.  
    I've followed him since he left us and really pleased to see his career has gone on an upwards curve.  Good luck to him.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I dont think anyone has called Gudmundsson or Bauer crap.

Buyens was a brilliant midfielder and spot on from the spot.

Personally I know he had his critics but I liked Bulot.

Sarr we all know had a mistake in him but on his day was a great defender.

Vetokele I dont think we ever saw the best off due to injuries.

Dmitrovic was never given a proper chance IMO.

But there is no denying we also got tosh.

Ajdarevic had about enough stamina to see 30 minutes tops.
    Reza was never made for English football.
    Koc we never even saw
    Thuram Ulien I cant even put him into words lol
    You said Foreign crap...from the network which is an all encompassingstatement.  I named 7 that were not. You named 4 that were. 
    Plus numerous toilet from other clubs.

Let's get on to the 'managers'.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Dmitrovic was a decent keeper but got branded with the same brush as a number of the failures.

I always felt sorry for him because he wasn't treated fairly by the fans or the club.  He was young, inexperienced but clearly very talented but he wasn't given a chance.  
    I've followed him since he left us and really pleased to see his career has gone on an upwards curve.  Good luck to him.
    Can't really remember the fans having a go as he played so few games and in those games he did play he looked all right, made very few errors and looked the part unlike Thurham.

What I do remember is Peeters moaning about having to have him when he wanted a new keeper (after Peeters left). I also remember losing at home to Norwich (was not his fault) and Luzon (The next Alex Fergurson according to Meire) dropped him for Henderson, we won a few back to back and he could not get back in.

By the summer he was moved on presumably as RD worked on the basis you don't need more than 2 keepers and like always with him we started off with a small squad and spent the rest of the season playing catch up in terms of squad size once injuries and suspensions kicked in
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Swisdom said:

Can't really remember the fans having a go as he played so few games and in those games he did play he looked all right, made very few errors and looked the part unlike Thurham.

What I do remember is Peeters moaning about having to have him when he wanted a new keeper (after Peeters left). I also remember losing at home to Norwich (was not his fault) and Luzon (The next Alex Fergurson according to Meire) dropped him for Henderson, we won a few back to back and he could not get back in.

By the summer he was moved on presumably as RD worked on the basis you don't need more than 2 keepers and like always with him we started off with a small squad and spent the rest of the season playing catch up in terms of squad size once injuries and suspensions kicked in
    @addick1956, are you reading this?
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Marko like so many keepers is having a good career after leaving CAFC.

Some leave so they can double or triple their wages by being a number two at a premier club; Elliott and Hamer. 

Some like Randolph and Stephen Anderson move on so they can be number 1 some where.

Neil Etheridge only played 4 games for Cafc but after the 5-0 defeat at Watford where only one goal was his fault, yet he made 3 decent saves to keep the score down, since he have played 123 matches for Cardiff and Birmingham.

Despite a weakness with the shot hit straight and low at his body, Pope was always going to be a top keeper once that was rectified, (it has)

Phillips after a long apprenticeship at Cafc, ended up well in credit and got a move to a championship team to earn a better wage.

I can only think of Thurman who was inept.

Amos is a decent keeper.

Ps. I knew Andy Woodman our goalkeeping coach under Pardew and Parkinson because his son Freddie(on loan at Swansea for another season from Newcastle) went to my son's school.

Andy Woodman Said both Darren Randolph and Robbie Elliott were good young keepers who should continue to progress as long as they are 1st team keepers ! In the end both left, and sadly for Robbie once he got a chance of being the first team keeper at Newcastle he got injured and it cost him the gloves on Tyneside.
  • Options
    Marko like so many keepers is having a good career after leaving CAFC.

Some leave so they can double or triple there wages by being a number two at a premier club; Elliott and Hamer. 

Some like Randolph and Stephen Anderson move on so they can be number 1 some where.

Neil Etheridge only played 4 games for Cafc but after the 5-0 defeat at Watford where only one goal was his fault, yet he made 3 decent saves to keep the score down, since, he have played 123 matches for Cardiff and Birmingham.

Despite a weakness with the shot hit straight and low at his body, Pope was always going to be a top keeper once that was rectified, (it has)

Phillips after a long apprenticeship at Cafc, ended up well in credit and got a move to a championship team to earn a better wage.

I can only think of Thurman who was inept.

Amos is a decent keeper.

Amazed at how much Pope has improved since he left us - he really does look a top keeper now. He looked a bit susceptible with long shots at Charlton but has ironed out that fault and seems to have a great attitude.

Really pleased for him.