Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kola Karim interested in buying Charlton? (maybe?)

Comments

• Options
    Yep, lovely, and big african community in the surrounding areas.
  • Options
    Rothko said:

Yep, lovely, and big african community in the surrounding areas.

Pockets of the surrounding area's do, but I don't think you'd call Fulham an area with a large African population. I'd probably count Fulham out.

I think he seems to be indicating it is us he is looking at, but as we all know by now looking at and actually doing something about it are very different things!
  • Options
    Rothko said:

Just watched the interview. says he's looking at a London non premier League club in an area with a high African population, so us with the big west African community is an obvious, but doesn't mean it couldn't be Brentford or Fulham.

Or Millwall.
    Rothko said:

The blokes minted, and has access to serious funds.

Can we keep the stereotypes to a minimum?

Unfortunately I think stereotypes will be the least of it.

When it's on the OS
  • Options
    the ultimate question is

are we actively up for sale?
  • Options

the ultimate question is

are we actively up for sale?

Every club is for sale
  • Options
    Is he a tribal chief as well, oh we had one of those in the past.
  • Options

I find the need for a large African community thing quite strange without explanation. This club is a leader on anti-racism topics and if there ever was a community club, regardless of background, its Charlton.

Surely it's a little like some of the big Premiership targeting Far Eastern sponsors and players. He recognises that there is a country with millions of football fans that no Premiership club has really tapped up from a marketing point of view yet, so with his African links and our African community he thinks we can help him achieve this.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I find the need for a large African community thing quite strange without explanation. This club is a leader on anti-racism topics and if there ever was a community club, regardless of background, its Charlton.

Surely it's a little like some of the big Premiership targeting Far Eastern sponsors and players. He recognises that there is a country with millions of football fans that no Premiership club has really tapped up from a marketing point of view yet, so with his African links and our African community he thinks we can help him achieve this.
    You would think he could do that just with his own reputation, without the need of South East London's African community. I'd imagine a lot of football fans in Belgium know RD owns Charlton, I don't see many Flemish around our way.
  • Options

You would think he could do that just with his own reputation, without the need of South East London's African community. I'd imagine a lot of football fans in Belgium know RD owns Charlton, I don't see many Flemish around our way.
    True.
  • Options
    So Roland has this morning sold Standard Liege, and says he is retiring....maybe there is legs in this Kola story?
  • Options

Africa is a much poorer continent than the areas of Asia that the Premier League clubs have targeted. The Premier League is dominated by Middle Eastern and Far Eastern sponsors (Emirates, Samsung etc), and nations like Qatar, Japan, South Korea and so on have millions of people willing and able to pay through the nose for Man Utd shirts, tv subscriptions, etc. That's not the case in Africa - we could be the best supported English club on the entire continent, all it would lead to is mass scale production of bootleg Charlton gear. There's no money to be made there, otherwise Utd, City, Chelsea et al would have tapped into it already.
  • Options
    Very interesting. Wiht SL being sold does it mean Roland is looking to get out of football altogether? Has he decided its too much faff?

Who knows - but having recently returned from a business trip to South Africa I am a little bit in love with the place. As he says they are fanatical as a continent.

Could be a good fit. Or he could tear the soul out of the place.

Who knows what will happen next...........
  • Options

Rothko said:

Just watched the interview. says he's looking at a London non premier League club in an area with a high African population, so us with the big west African community is an obvious, but doesn't mean it couldn't be Brentford or Fulham.

Have you ever been to Fulham?
    Ha, exactly what I was thinking. Are there many Africans in Brentford either ?
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

So Roland has this morning sold Standard Liege, and says he is retiring....maybe there is legs in this Kola story?

Although the word 'retiring' didn't come from Duchatelet. It came from the reporter. It's also a translation and I assume it means retiring from Standard Liege rather than retiring full stop.
  • Options

Pedro45 said:

Although the word 'retiring' didn't come from Duchatelet. It came from the reporter. It's also a translation and I assume it means retiring from Standard Liege rather than retiring full stop.
    Correct - we don't know if it has been lost in translation. It could mean he is "stepping down", but there were comments about him wanting to give SL the last ten years of his life, and he only has 350 weeks left now...If, and it is a big if, he does have a decent offer from Kola, then selling SL and CAFC would leave him free to concentrate on ST (plus his other minor clubs), which would be a lot less stressful I think!
  • Options
    someone who works in hospitality at Arsenal told me about 6 months ago this guy wanted to buy Charlton. He really likes our good reputation for being a community club apparently. did not really take to much notice at the time though.

• Options
    MrLargo said:

Africa is a much poorer continent than the areas of Asia that the Premier League clubs have targeted. The Premier League is dominated by Middle Eastern and Far Eastern sponsors (Emirates, Samsung etc), and nations like Qatar, Japan, South Korea and so on have millions of people willing and able to pay through the nose for Man Utd shirts, tv subscriptions, etc. That's not the case in Africa - we could be the best supported English club on the entire continent, all it would lead to is mass scale production of bootleg Charlton gear. There's no money to be made there, otherwise Utd, City, Chelsea et al would have tapped into it already.
    Not true

Overseas fees paid (in millions) for EPL tv rights 2013-2016:
    USA 165
    Japan 24
    Qatar less than 16, exact amount not known
    South Korea 26
    Africa 410
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

someone who works in hospitality at Arsenal told me about 6 months ago this guy wanted to buy Charlton. He really likes our good reputation for being a community club apparently. did not really take to much notice at the time though.

CHECK
    Every takeover thread needs a ' my brothers ,father in laws,sisters,dog' angle. So thanks for that.

;-)

• Options
    MrLargo said:

But Nigeria is the biggest economy in Africa and is richer than Belgium.

"The revision means Nigeria leapfrogs South Africa to be Africa’s largest economy. It rises to 24th in the list of the world’s big economies, behind Poland and Norway and ahead of Belgium and Taiwan."

http://www.economist.com/news/finance-and-economics/21600734-revised-figures-show-nigeria-africas-largest-economy-step-change

Now that wealth isn't shared as equally as in Belgium or the UK but it is a wealthy country and getting wealthier. So similar to the middle east in some ways and for some of the same reasons ie oil.

There is a lot of poverty in the far east as well and lots of bootleg gear made out there.

Personally I don't think it matters as the money is in the Premier League.

But the pre-season trip to Lagos should be fun.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    mmm us or the spanners? although rather unlikely to be them based on past problems with their fans.

Great to have another takeover rumour :smiley:
  • Options
    He's on Twitter @kolakarim. Not too active on there and doesn't follow any football clubs, just the Premier League, tennis players, oil news feeds, Boris, Miliband and Obama.
  • Options

MrLargo said:

Not true

Overseas fees paid (in millions) for EPL tv rights 2013-2016:
    USA 165
    Japan 24
    Qatar less than 16, exact amount not known
    South Korea 26
    Africa 410
    Not sure where you've got those stats from, but both of the following links suggest that your total for Africa includes the Middle East. If there's so much money floating around in Africa, then how come Utd, City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs and so on have completely avoided it on their post-season promotional tours?

http://www.statista.com/statistics/277566/tv-broadcasting-revenue-premier-league-outside-uk/
    http://www.sportingintelligence.com/2013/09/16/revealed-asia-driving-boom-as-premier-league-foreign-tv-cash-hits-2-23bn-160901/
  • Options
    Kola Karim is managing director and CEO of Shoreline Energy International, a Nigerian conglomerate with interests in oil and gas, power generation, engineering, commodities trading, infrastructure and construction across sub-Saharan Africa. In 2012, Shoreline Energy partnered with U.K-based Heritage Oil to buy a stake in OML 30, an oilfield in Nigeria, for $850 million. An avid polo player, Karim was named Young Global Leader class of 2008 by the World Economic Forum, Forbes.com reports.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Rothko said:
    mmm us or the spanners? although rather unlikely to be them based on past problems with their fans.

Great to have another takeover rumour :smiley:
    Shit time for smallwall to go down. Tee hee.
  • Options
    Kola Karim is, I suspect, a publicity seeking Klown .. I'd rather be taken over by Coca Cola ... or Krispy Kreems