Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kola Karim interested in buying Charlton? (maybe?)

Comments

• Options

Kola Karim is, I suspect, a publicity seeking Klown .. I'd rather be taken over by Coca Cola ... or Krispy Kreems

"I suspect" ! Based upon what - please share with us.
  • Options
    Welcome Karim, I'm not entirely sold that Duchatelet is the right or wrong man... But if you have more cash AND you're willing to splash... welcome to CAFC.
  • Options

Yes the figure does include the middle east. But sub Saharan Africa TV rights alone are worth more than 200 million, with North Africa a further amount.

More money currently comes into English football via TV rights from Africa than USA.

Teams tour the USA because of potential revenues.
  • Options

Kola Karim is, I suspect, a publicity seeking Klown .. I'd rather be taken over by Coca Cola ... or Krispy Kreems

I'd be happy with either of those two. Can you post a link to them being interested in buying us please?

Thanks.
  • Options
    WSS said:

My name is Kolo Karim, I come from Nigeria and I can buy...

What can you buy?

I buy da football.

Kolo Kolo Kolo Karim, Kolo Karim.

So now we know who controls it...

Sorry mate, not me. I saw it on there, hadn't seen it on here so I thought I'd post it. Only one twitter account for myself.

Just found it a funny song if it happens, it has to be sung ;)
  • Options

MrLargo said:

I find the need for a large African community thing quite strange without explanation. This club is a leader on anti-racism topics and if there ever was a community club, regardless of background, its Charlton.

Surely it's a little like some of the big Premiership targeting Far Eastern sponsors and players. He recognises that there is a country with millions of football fans that no Premiership club has really tapped up from a marketing point of view yet, so with his African links and our African community he thinks we can help him achieve this.
    Africa is a much poorer continent than the areas of Asia that the Premier League clubs have targeted. The Premier League is dominated by Middle Eastern and Far Eastern sponsors (Emirates, Samsung etc), and nations like Qatar, Japan, South Korea and so on have millions of people willing and able to pay through the nose for Man Utd shirts, tv subscriptions, etc. That's not the case in Africa - we could be the best supported English club on the entire continent, all it would lead to is mass scale production of bootleg Charlton gear. There's no money to be made there, otherwise Utd, City, Chelsea et al would have tapped into it already.
    But Nigeria is the biggest economy in Africa and is richer than Belgium.

"The revision means Nigeria leapfrogs South Africa to be Africa’s largest economy. It rises to 24th in the list of the world’s big economies, behind Poland and Norway and ahead of Belgium and Taiwan."

http://www.economist.com/news/finance-and-economics/21600734-revised-figures-show-nigeria-africas-largest-economy-step-change

Now that wealth isn't shared as equally as in Belgium or the UK but it is a wealthy country and getting wealthier. So similar to the middle east in some ways and for some of the same reasons ie oil.

There is a lot of poverty in the far east as well and lots of bootleg gear made out there.

Personally I don't think it matters as the money is in the Premier League.

But the pre-season trip to Lagos should be fun.
    Ok, granted there is money in Africa (or in Nigeria at least). But Premier League clubs seem to be actively avoiding that part of the world, there must be a reason for that.

Anyway, pre-season trip to Lagos sounds appealling, quite fancy the idea of jollof rice, yams and goat curry in the refreshment kiosks as well.
  • Options
    A lot of people putting 2 & 2 together and getting 5. I would be very surprised if we were sold off in the near future. Saying that it could very well happen i'm not gonna pretend to be ITK or change my picture to a man with tape over his mouth....very unbecoming :)
  • Options
    Perhaps a bit of research, thought, restraint, tact and sensitivity ought to be the order of the day on this one.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    stonemuse said:

looking at his CV, he's rather more serious than that Lincs
    PeterGage said:

he supposedly made a bid for a major stake in Arsenal F C .. he cannot be serious .. what better way to get loads of free publicity than to advertise the fact that he's 'interested in buying a football club' .. and I don't care how successful he's been in business .. I SUSPECT that this is a publicity stunt, nothing more and nothing less .. IF IF IF he buys CAFC .. I will eat Paddy Pantsdown's hat .. AND his socks
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

MrLargo said:

I find the need for a large African community thing quite strange without explanation. This club is a leader on anti-racism topics and if there ever was a community club, regardless of background, its Charlton.

Surely it's a little like some of the big Premiership targeting Far Eastern sponsors and players. He recognises that there is a country with millions of football fans that no Premiership club has really tapped up from a marketing point of view yet, so with his African links and our African community he thinks we can help him achieve this.
    Africa is a much poorer continent than the areas of Asia that the Premier League clubs have targeted. The Premier League is dominated by Middle Eastern and Far Eastern sponsors (Emirates, Samsung etc), and nations like Qatar, Japan, South Korea and so on have millions of people willing and able to pay through the nose for Man Utd shirts, tv subscriptions, etc. That's not the case in Africa - we could be the best supported English club on the entire continent, all it would lead to is mass scale production of bootleg Charlton gear. There's no money to be made there, otherwise Utd, City, Chelsea et al would have tapped into it already.
    But Nigeria is the biggest economy in Africa and is richer than Belgium.

"The revision means Nigeria leapfrogs South Africa to be Africa’s largest economy. It rises to 24th in the list of the world’s big economies, behind Poland and Norway and ahead of Belgium and Taiwan."

http://www.economist.com/news/finance-and-economics/21600734-revised-figures-show-nigeria-africas-largest-economy-step-change

Now that wealth isn't shared as equally as in Belgium or the UK but it is a wealthy country and getting wealthier. So similar to the middle east in some ways and for some of the same reasons ie oil.

There is a lot of poverty in the far east as well and lots of bootleg gear made out there.

Personally I don't think it matters as the money is in the Premier League.

But the pre-season trip to Lagos should be fun.
    Ok, granted there is money in Africa (or in Nigeria at least). But Premier League clubs seem to be actively avoiding that part of the world, there must be a reason for that.

Anyway, pre-season trip to Lagos sounds appealling, quite fancy the idea of jollof rice, yams and goat curry in the refreshment kiosks as well.
    gap in the market then.

But is there a market in the gap?
  • Options

stonemuse said:

looking at his CV, he's rather more serious than that Lincs
    PeterGage said:

he supposedly made a bid for a major stake in Arsenal F C .. he cannot be serious .. what better way to get loads of free publicity than to advertise the fact that he's 'interested in buying a football club' .. and I don't care how successful he's been in business .. I SUSPECT that this is a publicity stunt, nothing more and nothing less .. IF IF IF he buys CAFC .. I will eat Paddy Pantsdown's hat .. AND his socks
    who knows mate ... but I like a good takeover story - this will run till the season starts :smiley:

in the interview he does deny going for Arsenal
  • Options
    All he said was a 'Non-PL London Club', doesn't have to mean us.

QPR, Brentford, Charlton, Millwall, Orient, could be anyone.
  • Options
    edited June 2015

With a highly condensed African population. Realistically, can he afford QPR or even look at them with the mess they're in? Can't see it being Millwall, especially with the reputation their fans have, and along with Orient, they're a club that are going nowhere. Charlton are a ready-made Premier League club. Brentford is the only other realistic option I suppose.
  • Options

With a highly condensed African population. Realistically, can he afford QPR or even look at them with the mess they're in? Can't see it being Millwall, especially with the reputation their fans have, and along with Orient, they're a club that are going nowhere. Charlton are a ready-made Premier League club. Brentford is the only other realistic option I suppose.
    Dulwich Hamlet ?.. Fisher Athletic ? ... Dagenham and Redtops ?
  • Options
    Talal said:

Football fans, running way ahead of themselves?

It's a first for me.
    It's also a great way to generate interest/traffic without actually making any claims of their own. This is the kind of thing that, eventually, alerts a serious media player to hedge their bets and run a, nothing, story that enables them to claim they 'were first' with the news. Three or four retellings of the 'nothing' story and it becomes what people on here will call a FACT!
  • Options
    Sure I read a while ago he was looking at Fulham. Also a zero handicap at Polo is equivalent to Simon Church.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Bit vague though mate. By all accounts he didn't even mention us.
    Surprised of all people,you started a thread on it.
  • Options

Dulwich Hamlet ?.. Fisher Athletic ? ... Dagenham and Redtops ?
    Thamesmead Town?

• Options
    This is the fella who was on that BBC2 new London money documentary last year?

Wouldn't be the first Nigerian director at Charlton....
  • Options
    misread the tweet as being an actual quote naming Charlton. Doesn't seem to be the case.

Wouldn't be surprised though.
  • Options
    It is all a bit strange on here this morning. Are al these stories connected. What were the demands of Majid's kidnappers?
  • Options

misread the tweet as being an actual quote naming Charlton. Doesn't seem to be the case.

Wouldn't be surprised though.

Could you change the title then?

• Options
    Well done
  • Options
    edited June 2015

Pedro45 said:

So Roland has this morning sold Standard Liege, and says he is retiring....maybe there is legs in this Kola story?

Although the word 'retiring' didn't come from Duchatelet. It came from the reporter. It's also a translation and I assume it means retiring from Standard Liege rather than retiring full stop.
    "Se retirer" does not mean retiring. He says he is stepping away from Standard.