Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The most unfortunate own goal of all time?

2»

Comments

• Options
    the timing and the consequences, yes the execution no, those last ditch interventions fly in every so often.
  • Options

Since 1966 - England don't really do luck do they?

Used it up in the final with the goal that didn't cross the line.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    If you're going to kick the ball towards your own goal, make sure it either goes out of play or it is being passed safely to your own team. Otherwise it isn't unfortunate, you're just not very good at football. The fact that it happened at a semi-final of a major tournament is more an indictment of the coach who trained her than the player herself.
  • Options
    What about those three from Sunderland? Mainly for the fact there was three of them
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

If you're going to kick the ball towards your own goal, make sure it either goes out of play or it is being passed safely to your own team. Otherwise it isn't unfortunate, you're just not very good at football. The fact that it happened at a semi-final of a major tournament is more an indictment of the coach who trained her than the player herself.

I don't think she was trying to kick the ball towards her own goal....i think she was just trying to stop the ball from reaching the Japanese striker, perhaps even flick it to her right but tired legs and/or misjudgment saw her loft it forward. Nothing you can coach out of someone.
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/a8OIPwONx-s
    More of a funny one than unfortunate.
  • Options
    How about when we won 3-1 at Sunderland ?
    All 3 of our goals were OGs, think Fish tried to claim 1.
  • Options
    For us oldies, the 7-6 game against Huddersfield (1958/59?). 5-1 down, then up 6-5 and if my memory serves me right, og by John Hewie. We had to score again to win, which of course we did.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Fiiish said:

I don't think she was trying to kick the ball towards her own goal....i think she was just trying to stop the ball from reaching the Japanese striker, perhaps even flick it to her right but tired legs and/or misjudgment saw her loft it forward. Nothing you can coach out of someone.
    It's called situational awareness. She must have been fully aware her own net was right in front of her. Don't think that's too much to ask of a professional football player.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

It's called situational awareness. She must have been fully aware her own net was right in front of her. Don't think that's too much to ask of a professional football player.
    Is your name Fiish because you are always trying to get people to bite with your comments. That was as absolute freakish own goal and you know it . "Don't think it's to much to ask" my arse.

There you are - i bit.
  • Options
    Not really. I'm not trying to have a go but every player who kicks it in the direction of their own net should realise there is a chance it could go in. Own goals happen, fair enough, and yes the path the ball actually took was a bit freakish and it did bamboozle the keeper but to be honest that's part in parcel of that kind of defending. Premier League footballers do it from time to time. Just giving my opinion of what I saw.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Is she even a professional?
  • Options

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Is she even a professional?
    She is, apparently.

Having looked at the clip again, she does fling her leg out desperately, not in any real control of the ball so not really a surprise that it ended up going somewhere she wasn't aiming for. Quality finish though.
  • Options
    Anyone of the three Paul Went scored in one match,we lost 0-3 at home would win it for me.
  • Options

I remember Steve Downman scoring a 30 yard own goal over Nicky johns at The Valley back in the early eighties or did i dream it?

Was this sheffield wednesday at home.

Yes, Sheff Wed 83-84. Ended 1-1 (Hales pen). Dowman's was a lobbed volley.

Dowman's other lobbed volley OG was the following season at Bramall Lane 1-1 (Flanagan header late on).
  • Options
    Of course it wasn't.

How was that an important match?
  • Options
    Sheffield Wednesday away, Wednesday, managed by Jack Charlton were certs for promotion, after going a goal down early on, we all had a feeling that it could be a cricket score, then Alan Simeonson and Martin Robinson took Wednesday apart and we go in at half time 3 1 up, Wednesday get it back to 3 3, then we immediately go 4 3 up, Wednesday get it back to 4 4 and both teams were settling for the draw, then an aimless punt upfield from Wednesday that should have been bread and butter stuff to deal with, Nicky John's came off his line to gather the ball but Steve Britt volleyed it over his head straight into our goal, giving Wednesday a 5 4 win, something which they never deserved.
  • Options
    Sheffield Wednesday away, Wednesday, managed by Jack Charlton were certs for promotion, after going a goal down early on, we all had a feeling that it could be a cricket score, then Alan Simeonson and Martin Robinson took Wednesday apart and we go in at half time 3 1 up, Wednesday get it back to 3 3, then we immediately go 4 3 up, Wednesday get it back to 4 4 and both teams were settling for the draw, then an aimless punt upfield from Wednesday that should have been bread and butter stuff to deal with, Nicky John's came off his line to gather the ball but Steve Gritt volleyed it over his head straight into our goal, giving Wednesday a 5 4 win, somethin
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Sheffield Wednesday away, Wednesday, managed by Jack Charlton were certs for promotion, after going a goal down early on, we all had a feeling that it could be a cricket score, then Alan Simeonson and Martin Robinson took Wednesday apart and we go in at half time 3 1 up, Wednesday get it back to 3 3, then we immediately go 4 3 up, Wednesday get it back to 4 4 and both teams were settling for the draw, then an aimless punt upfield from Wednesday that should have been bread and butter stuff to deal with, Nicky John's came off his line to gather the ball but Steve Britt volleyed it over his head straight into our goal, giving Wednesday a 5 4 win, something which they never deserved.

I wasn't there or possibly even alive (!) but how can you say Wednesday didn't deserve it when up to the own goal they'd scores as many goals as us? Not doubting you just need some clarification
  • Options
    We were definitely the better team on the day, we should have scored more. We were cruising at 3 1, then they scored two quick goals, from the re-start we went straight up their end and scored again. Our midfield and forward line had a blinder that day. You have to remember that we were a very average side at the time and Wednesday were nailed on for promotion.