Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tour de France 2015

Comments

• Options
    Everyone calling him the new Armstrong on social media. He looked like he could have done another 5k. I'm not comfortable about it tbh.
  • Options
    People saying that know fuck all about cycling. Froome is an absolute physical freak of nature, always has been. If he could actually ride a bike instead of fighting it like some sort of biomechnical stick insect he'd be the best there has ever been. They're just taking amateur science from some idiot who thinks he knows how to read a power meter graph against a gradient and thinks he can 'prove' what Froome is doing isn't physically possible without doping. It's bollocks - sour grapes from people who just don't like Sky. I don't particuarly like Sky or Brailsford, but they and he (in particular) have staked their entire reputation on being as clean as possible. If Froome was ever caught doping it would pretty much finish pro cycling as a sport.

I'm more pissed off about the fact that, barring a Froome blow-up of immense proportions (not entirely unheard of - he's tried to smash the absolute granny out of the tour right at the start and faded a bit towards the end before) the GC is effectively over.
  • Options
    Brilliant and total agree Leroy. Cycling is no better then a modern Salem at the moment, can't explain it, don't like it, can't explain performance, shout doper and never explain yourself
  • Options

People saying that know fuck all about cycling. Froome is an absolute physical freak of nature, always has been. If he could actually ride a bike instead of fighting it like some sort of biomechnical stick insect he'd be the best there has ever been. They're just taking amateur science from some idiot who thinks he knows how to read a power meter graph against a gradient and thinks he can 'prove' what Froome is doing isn't physically possible without doping. It's bollocks - sour grapes from people who just don't like Sky. I don't particuarly like Sky or Brailsford, but they and he (in particular) have staked their entire reputation on being as clean as possible. If Froome was ever caught doping it would pretty much finish pro cycling as a sport.

I'm more pissed off about the fact that, barring a Froome blow-up of immense proportions (not entirely unheard of - he's tried to smash the absolute granny out of the tour right at the start and faded a bit towards the end before) the GC is effectively over.

This is EXACTLY what people said about Armstrong. The rest is history.
  • Options
    Stone said:

Which proves absolutely f*** all.
  • Options
    what a stage. Porte taking the time bonus was the icing on the cake, he's going to be one hell of a rider next year if he's allowed to have a crack at GC in a couple of tours
  • Options
    Thing is... Who does Froome ride for...? - Its Sky!!

BSkyB is one of the biggest companies in the world... If they own a sports team whos best person is a drug cheat, it wont just be the person and sport that would crash and burn but the sponsors would too, just look at what happened with T-Mobile, they were forced to leave cycling themselves etc...
  • Options
    Stone said:

That's a semi-valid point - but in reality only SOME people said that about Armstrong. Most people knew he was doping - his own attitude and stance toward that proved it to anyone with a brain cell. Froome is a flat out and vehement denier - as is Brailsford. Most of the people who said "Oh Lance can't be doping - think of his reputation, think of how much he stands to lose" etc etc were hand-wringing yanks or the people in charge at the UCI at the time (Verbruggen et. al) who had a vested interest in perpetuating the myth
  • Options
    I hate all there groundless accusations of cheating, it takes the shine off of a superb sporting performance. If anyone has any evidence of cheating they should quietly report it to the UCI and/or any other relevant authorities and let them get on with the job of investigating it. If they haven't any evidence, they should keep their mouths shut.

Fabulous ride yesterday both by Froome and Porte. I wonder what the chances are of another Sky 1 and 2 like in 2012.
  • Options
    I have no time for these accusers. Piss or get off the fucking pot.

All the time this focus is on cycling, football quietly sits on it's hands.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I have no time for these accusers. Piss or get off the fucking pot.

All the time this focus is on cycling, football quietly sits on it's hands.

And the US sub 10 sprinters are dopers (Gatlin twice and his trainer had eight athletes banned). Now they are back earning millions and adored by the American public probably totally unaware they are cheats. Good on UK athletics for refusing them invites to our meets.
  • Options
    how are the British riders doing ?
  • Options
    Chris Froome (Sky) - Holds yellow and polkadot jerseys. 7th in points classification. Won Stage 10. Looked a cut above so far, got himself in a position where the competition is his to lose.
    Geriant Thomas (Sky) -5th in GC, 28th in points classification, 16th in line for King of the Mountains. Best finish 6th in Round 10. Amazing that he is so far up the classification given the work he’s put in to support Froome.
    Adam Yates (Orica Greenedge) - 40th in GC, 38th on points, 20th KoM, 6th best young rider. Best finish 7th on stages 8 and 9.
    Simon Yates (Orica Greenedge) - 109th in GC, 73rd on points, 17th best young rider. Best finish 8th on stage 3.
    Stephen Cummings (MTN-QHBEKA) - 110th in GC, 80th on points. Best finish 10th on Stage 1.
    Mark Cavendish (Etixx Qick Step) - 112th in GC, 4th in points classification. Won Stage 7. Not looked his old self. Some poor decision making going too early, but still has something as his stage victory proves.
    Peter Kennaugh (Sky) - 125th in GC, 100th on points. Best finish 62nd in Stage 12.
    Ian Stannard (Sky) - 142nd in GC, best finish 23rd in Stage 2.
    Luke Rowe (Sky) - 153rd in GC, 108th on points, 24th best young rider. Best finish, 94th in Stage 2.
    Alex Dowsett (Movistar) - Withdrawn - Stage 12, did not finish. Best finish 13th in Stage 1. Troubled by a bad arm; looked shocking in every post ride interview. Never a surprise when he dropped out.
  • Options
    Hats off to Jean Christophe Peraud for battling on yesterday and working his way back up the peloton, after leaving so much flesh on the road.

Next time I see a footballer writhing in agony for no reason, I shall remember him.
  • Options
    Stone said:

Everyone calling him the new Armstrong on social media. He looked like he could have done another 5k. I'm not comfortable about it tbh.

That probably just about sums it Stone, Social Media. I notice nobody really pointed the finger at Alberto and his mate Glenn Buterol.

• Options
    Saw today that Richie Porte has said that someone punched him during a climb the other day... If true that is disgusting and a shame, regardless though nothing can be done about it, the beauty of the Tour De France is that its the biggest free event in the world and it would be impossible to put barriers along every bit of the stage etc...

Like when Cadel Evans won the Tour and ticks were thrown on the road to cause punctures its just got to be ignored
  • Options
    Happens to riders most years, spitting, punching and offering laced drinks etc. Riders know what they are doing, but as it's been said all part of the TdF.

• Options
    Great win by Steve Cummings holding off the French boys.
  • Options
    #TourdeFrance leader #ChrisFroome says he had urine thrown over him during today's stage by a spectator who accused him of doping
  • Options
    It's nothing to what the Tifosi have historically done on the Giro to riders who challenge their heroes.

As for the pressure it should be on. Uninformed questions should be asked. The problem with cycling well before Armstrong is that anyone who did ask those questions were treated like piss soup eaters.

LeMond's calculations on Contador's VAM on the Verbier in 2009 were lovingly lapped up. In that debate it was obvious LeMond's calculations did not factor in certain variables. Anyone who believes straight calculations without temperature, wind direction/speed, drag, drafting etc. is a fool. But there is a debate to be had, and through the pressure cracks can appear.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    WSS said:

#TourdeFrance leader #ChrisFroome says he had urine thrown over him during today's stage by a spectator who accused him of doping

Now that's taking the piss.

In all honesty,hope it wasn't Armstrongs.
    His piss could strip walls!
  • Options
    WSS said:

It transpires that it was actually French wine. It just tasted like piss.
  • Options
    You'd have to be some low level scumbag to wait around most of the day just to chuck a cup of piss in somebody's face, who you know can't stop and respond.

• Options
    Big respect to G for getting back on his bike yesterday. If I hit a telegraph pole like that I'd be expecting a note from me mum

• Options
    Well done to Quintana for making a fight of it. Congratulations to Froome and the Sky boys.
  • Options
    Great Tour de France this year... A really good route set out by the organisers

Hopefully Cavendish can reclaim the Champs-Elysee later today
  • Options
    Well done Froome and well done Quintana, if there was one more mountain stage I think Froome could of been in real trouble. The Colombian looked so strong at the end.

Think if Pinot doesn't have so much bad luck and improves his descending from the climbs he could well be next years winner, which will please the French.

and not sure what this is all about. nothing to do with terrorism...

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jul/26/paris-police-open-fire-on-car-that-tried-to-crash-tour-de-france-barricades
  • Options

Great Tour de France this year... A really good route set out by the organisers

Hopefully Cavendish can reclaim the Champs-Elysee later today

Yes, one of the best for many years. Hats off to Nairo for having a go at the end too. Watch this space next year.
  • Options
    Brilliant day yesterday, thoroughly enjoyed it ... Quintana is some talent ... Well done Chris for winning in this field and on these routes
  • Options
    I do wonder if Quintana's reluctance to be away from his family for training has cost him the tour. He's certainly finished the strongest competitor, but not effectively dealing with the windy Dutch conditions at the start meant that he was always behind.