Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Oktoberfest

Apologies if there is already a thread, but I couldn't find one when searching!

Just booked up the last weekend at Oktoberfest this year. Anyone done it before and have any useful tips?

Edit. This could probably go in the 'Holidays' thread. Feel free to move!

Comments

• Options
    Always wanted to go. it's on my very short bucket list.
  • Options
    It is an absolutely fantastic event, went as part of stag do on opening weekend a few years ago and can recommend the Paulaner tent; thousands of well behaved massively binge drinking individuals where you can feast on wurst, rotisserie chicken and stein after stein, all brought to your table. You may even, after several beers, develop a taste for oompah music! Huge (beer) tented area with fair ground and food stalls but the whole city is going for it.
  • Options

When is it?

25th December mate!
  • Options

When is it?

September 19 - October 4th
  • Options
    Absolutely fantastic
    I can't remember what tent we were in but it wss the size of a football pitch and over 3000 really pissed people and not a scrap anywhere to be seen.
    they won't serve you unless you're at a table though, i think it was about 20euros to sit at a table and thst included a stein of beer and a whole roast chicken

We are def gonna do it again in the next couple of years

You have to watch all the idiots on the fair rides after they've been drinking, funny as f***!
  • Options
    Just remembered it was the Lowenbrau tent, and the oompah bands playing oasis and the jam tunes is different!
  • Options
    Recommend the Augusteiner tent. Good mix of people. Don't forget to see the sights while you are there Some good hostelries away from the festival. The English garden is full of eclectic people at the weekends.
    Been twice and they were some of the best holidays I've had.

Avoid the aussies though!!
  • Options
    They do one in Calella in Spain every year, which is sort of fun for one night, but I've always fancied doing the real thing.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    dogpat65 said:

Recommend the Augusteiner tent. Good mix of people. Don't forget to see the sights while you are there Some good hostelries away from the festival. The English garden is full of eclectic people at the weekends.
    Been twice and they were some of the best holidays I've had.

Avoid the aussies though!!

Met an Aussie on one of the rides there and he didnt stop going on about how much he hated Germans. Weird. Great place though, Beer and theme park rides is a good mix!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We have one of these in the college town il be moving too in the fall. The stories I've already heard are incredible
  • Options
    I just wrote a massive piece here on the joys of Oktoberfest and I couldn't post it!!
  • Options
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Germany is such a great country. I haven't been to Oktoberfest but they have proper clubs open from Friday to Monday where anything goes, football is cheap and alcohol friendly, there's legal sleaze wherever you want it, everything works and is on time, most people are friendly and welcoming, plus there's the biggest beer festival in the world... They really are one step ahead of everyone.
  • Options
    I can't upload any more photos, just go, it's one of life's greatest experiences in mho.
  • Options
    Well even more excited now! Cheers guys!
  • Options
    Fantastic but very busy now and it's getting more difficult to get a seat/table as a lot if them are booked, especially in the evening. Avoid the Hofbräu tent as its wall to wall packed with drunkern Aussies/kiwis with Brits. Recipe for disaster and lots of fights break out.
  • Options
    Never been to Oktoberfest but my father in law lives in Germany and I always love a trip to the pub when we are over there.

the Germans can drink! It was quite funny the first time i was there as i was told i didnt have to go round for round with them if it was too much for me, i did and whilst they were all very impressed it meant nothing to me when the hangover kicked in!

my father in laws local just run a tab on your beer mat and you settle up when you're finished, very nice way of doing it.
  • Options
    If you are going for the opening on the 19th get to a tent for about 9am to secure a table (earlier if the weather is bad) and find something to keep you occupied during the 3 hour wait for them to crack open the first kegs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just come back form munich and it was like octoberfest when i was there....let alone waiting for october to come...great city with lots to do but i have been told it can take ages to get a drink/meal ect so be prepared...also went to the hofbrauhaus overated and full of tourists. If you can visit the beer gardens in the english garden do so, but but walk from the marienplatz end (south) not the other as there much closer.

If you get the time go to dachau concentration camp about 10 miles nw of the city and a 20 minute train ride from the hauptbahnhof on the S2. Grim but free and worth it, schedule 3 hours for this.

What ever you do always make sure you have a train ticket when travelling on trains and make sure you stamp them in the little blue boxes usually at the top of escolators/stairs leading to to the trains, if it isnt stamped it isnt valid even though you may have just bought it. They have a ton of inspectors on trains and they are plain cothed not like blakey.

Great place and enjoy...loads of good hotels near the bahnhof but can be a bit seedy....
  • Options
    So finally this has come about, and we leave on Friday and there until Monday. Cannot wait.

One final, pressing issue, is what are the chances of finding anywhere to watch the England Australia game?! One of the lads I am going with, who has been before, has said no chance as we will be fast asleep after a long days drinking by the time it even kicks off, but I don't want to believe him!
  • Options

So finally this has come about, and we leave on Friday and there until Monday. Cannot wait.

One final, pressing issue, is what are the chances of finding anywhere to watch the England Australia game?! One of the lads I am going with, who has been before, has said no chance as we will be fast asleep after a long days drinking by the time it even kicks off, but I don't want to believe him!

Never been to Munich, but Google says there are 0 English pubs and 3 Irish pubs. The Irish pubs would show it, if you're prepared to watch it there.
  • Options

I was on a stag do in Munich when Charlton played the away leg of the league one play off against Swindon. We managed to find an Australian themed sports bar that put it on for us in the basement bar. They were showing lots of other sports from around the globe on several TVs dotted around the place. They would definitely have international rugby on if they were prepared to put third division football on.

Your mate is probably right about being too drunk to watch it, I'd drunk so much at this point that I had to put my hand over one of my eyes to stop the double vision and was really confused by the fact we weren't playing in red, I think I celebrated when Swindon scored. Hence I can't tell you the name of the bar but I do remember it wasn't very good other than to watch the football. So many better places to drink in Munich. Try typing Australian bar Munich in to google.

• Options
    Want a full match report on return @Addickforlife !
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

Germany is such a great country. I haven't been to Oktoberfest but they have proper clubs open from Friday to Monday where anything goes, football is cheap and alcohol friendly, there's legal sleaze wherever you want it, everything works and is on time, most people are friendly and welcoming, plus there's the biggest beer festival in the world... They really are one step ahead of everyone.

Legal Sleaze ha that's prob the funniest thing I've read on here. Very true thou specially in St Pauli!!
  • Options
    My College town has a population of 50,000 currently, for Oktoberfest this weekend it will go up to 150,000. Should be a fun weekend
  • Options
    edited October 2015

Want a full match report on return @Addickforlife !

I don't think any words can do that place justice, but safe to say it is the most ridiculous place I've ever been.

Friday night we were there quite late, so could only get into a smaller tent which was pretty fun, then just ran around drunkenly/excitedly going on rides, playing the various games etc.

Saturday and Sunday we got there at about 9am and managed to get into two of the major tents, one was the Lowenbrau one, the other I can't remember. Basically just sat in them all day and as the afternoon comes along the places just go mad. Everyone making friends with everyone, everyone dancing on tables, everyone standing on the table chugging steins to 6,000 people cheering for you. It's absolutely mad.

We stayed in one of the closest hostels to it all which was rather convenient for stumbling back completely out of it!

It's hard to write about it properly as the two and a half days basically are all now rolled into one big blurry weekend, but it's something that everyone should be lucky enough to experience at some point.

I do not feel well at work today!
  • Options
    A tent holding 1200, Paulaner beer, Blasmusik and all will be held in Paris October 8 to 18. Will be going on thursday;
    Maybe not the real thing but looking forward to this night out. At least will be home by 12.