Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The July Budget

It's what we all voted for, right?

Comments

• All I hope is that he remembers to put a new briefcase in it somewhere this tme, as they always seem to forget
  • ...even if it means closing a couple of youth centres to buy a samsonite one
  • Can I be banned from this thread?
  • I'm hoping for a tax on gambling winnings at the punter's marginal rate - this to include the lotteries.
    After all tax is used as a weapon to fight cigarette addiction, right? So why not gambling? It's unearned income isn't it.
  • edited July 2015

• Can barely wait
  • Sponsored links:

• We didn't all vote for the pain to come today, but the Conservative party won the election, so I expect a budget that ministers to the Conservative support, and the rest of the population to pay the price.
    Luckily we also have a free market in labour, so I expect reaction in the future in the form of strikes and direct action, like on the tube and railways, and like in France.
    I expect Michael Gove to bring in more anti union laws, but they may flounder on more creative worker disruption.
  • cafcfan said:

I'm hoping for a tax on gambling winnings at the punter's marginal rate - this to include the lotteries.
    After all tax is used as a weapon to fight cigarette addiction, right? So why not gambling? It's unearned income isn't it.

Smoking fags has a massive effect on the NHS. Gambling, although effects peoples lives, doesn't really hit the publics pocket.
  • cafcfan said:

I'm hoping for a tax on gambling winnings at the punter's marginal rate - this to include the lotteries.

Smoking fags has a massive effect on the NHS. Gambling, although effects peoples lives, doesn't really hit the publics pocket.
    The amount of tax paid on cigarettes comfortably covers treatment - although this is an admittedly nebulous area - for smoking related diseases.

A greater and more far reaching drain on the NHS is alcohol; but everyone likes a booze, don't they?

• Redskin said:

cafcfan said:

The amount of tax paid on cigarettes comfortably covers treatment - although this is an admittedly nebulous area - for smoking related diseases.

A greater and more far reaching drain on the NHS is alcohol; but everyone likes a booze, don't they?

Yeah, tax the shit out of alcohol, i could understand that. Not sure i can understand a tax on gambling winnings though.
  • Redskin said:

cafcfan said:

Yeah, tax the shit out of alcohol, i could understand that. Not sure i can understand a tax on gambling winnings though.
    Suits me, I make all my wine at home and there's no tax on that. Homemade beer and cider is terrible, but if needs must.......
  • Great opportunity to whine... off you go CL
  • Great opportunity to whine Wine... off you go CL

• cafcfan said:

And if you call a 5 fold accumulator then imo you have done a good job in terms of the skill to pick the results. Should the government be able to tax such a skill?
  • If it was considered a skill and not luck it would probably be subject to capital gains tax on winnings.
  • edited July 2015

If it was considered a skill and not luck it would probably be subject to capital gains tax on winnings.

I say that tongue in cheek SELR. But I often think to myself how bloody good I am when an acca comes in. Unfortunately for me it's about every year and a half
  • Sponsored links:

• Remember this when Osbourne is talking about how we're all in it together:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/jul/07/corporate-welfare-a-93bn-handshake

• Not until 2017. But I suppose it's something to cling on to?
  • cabbles said:

cafcfan said:

And if you call a 5 fold accumulator then imo you have done a good job in terms of the skill to pick the results. Should the government be able to tax such a skill?
    As long as you can claim back the money you lose on bets that don't win.

• Not until 2017. But I suppose it's something to cling on to?
    Maybe, he'll go the polar opposite and give poor expats living abroad a shit load of dough every month
  • Corporations will now pay less tax on their profit than their workers on their income.
  • Corporations will now pay less tax on their profit than their workers on their income.

In real money or on a % basis?
  • You can tell which age demographic doesn't vote Tory, under 25s being hit massively with this budget in comparison to everyone else.
  • Cutting tax credits and turning the minimum wage into a living wage sound sensible to me.
  • You can tell which age demographic doesn't vote Tory, under 25s being hit massively with this budget in comparison to everyone else.

What has he done ?