Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Driving to Portugal

Just wondered if anyone has driven to the Algarve, or does on a regular basis? I'm off next week and will then be driving there and back a couple of times a year. I'm euro tunnel and then hoping to break the trip with a night in San Sebastián, interested to hear any tips or pointers as I haven't done this for many years.

Comments

• Options
    I've driven to the South of Spain. I took the ferry from Plymouth to Santander. Nice easy drive down on virtually empty toll roads. Plenty of stop off points en-route. Quite of few people heading to Portugal as well. The good thing about going that way is you can easily do the driving in a day. The ferry took about 18 hours. If you go from Portsmouth, that takes about 20 hours
  • Options
    My friends drive to Portugal each summer, using Portsmouth - Santander. The Portuguese motorways are great, although they are toll roads. Driving becomes a pleasure again. If you plan to stop in the Douro valley and need a recco for a place to stay, let me know, we found a really wonderful place.
  • Options
    masicat said:

Just wondered if anyone has driven to the Algarve, or does on a regular basis? I'm off next week and will then be driving there and back a couple of times a year. I'm euro tunnel and then hoping to break the trip with a night in San Sebastián, interested to hear any tips or pointers as I haven't done this for many years.

If you are near Albufeira, do pop in and say hello masicat...
  • Options
    Oh! One more thing...

In this country...
  • Options

My friends drive to Portugal each summer, using Portsmouth - Santander. The Portuguese motorways are great, although they are toll roads. Driving becomes a pleasure again. If you plan to stop in the Douro valley and need a recco for a place to stay, let me know, we found a really wonderful place.

...and Douro wine is excellent :smile:
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

...and Douro wine is excellent :smile:
    Yes, and great value. The place I mentioned to stay in is also a small producer. In a town called Regua, which is on the motorway south from Villa Real.
  • Options

masicat said:

If you are near Albufeira, do pop in and say hello masicat...

Am in Quinta Algarve. Place called Vilar Do Golfe. Been a regular for many years although I suspect too hot to hit a golf ball next week. You have a bar in Albufeira?
  • Options
    Not any more, but you will find the wife and I in One 4 the Road bar on a frequent basis...
  • Options
    Surely it's better to fly and hire a car whilst you're there?
  • Options
    masicat said:

I've done it! and it was brilliant.

Stopped in Rouen first, then Bordeaux, over the border (delightful) and the next stop was Salamanca via San sebastian then stopped in Saville.

Crossed over into Portugal the following day, would I do it again? anyday! It was fanstastic!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

masicat said:

I've done it! and it was brilliant.

Stopped in Rouen first, then Bordeaux, over the border (delightful) and the next stop was Salamanca via San sebastian then stopped in Saville.

Crossed over into Portugal the following day, would I do it again? anyday! It was fanstastic!
    Don't stop in Saville, he's massively unpopular these days
  • Options
    I always drive down in Spain then across to Portugal near Zamora. If you take the Burgos/Slalamanca/Seville road it is dual carriageway all the way and toll free after Burgos. Traffic is virtually non existent, plenty of fuel and coffee stops all the way down.
  • Options
    Sleazy jet to Faros then hire car, that way you don't even pay for the tolls -yay
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

Sleazy jet to Faros then hire car, that way you don't even pay for the tolls -yay

Unless you use the A22...
  • Options

Fumbluff said:

Unless you use the A22...
    Yeah, used it, went through loads, and popped to Seville and back too, but never paid a cent in tolls when we returned the car :smile:
  • Options
    Car hire in Portugal is bloody expensive in high season. And I don't know how @fumbluff got away without paying the tolls, it was all done by chip, at least in our car hired in Lisbon
  • Options
    Yeah ours was too, I said to the lady when we returned it that we'd been through loads of tolls so we'll need to pay and she said they couldn't tell the amount until 24-hrs after the car was returned so they'd just bill us.....and almost 2-years later.....not a sausage :wink:
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

Yeah ours was too, I said to the lady when we returned it that we'd been through loads of tolls so we'll need to pay and she said they couldn't tell the amount until 24-hrs after the car was returned so they'd just bill us.....and almost 2-years later.....not a sausage :wink:

Have you tried e mailing them ?

• Options
    Every single day...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have done it on a motorcycle before. Apart from having a sore A**e and wishing I had just got a plane it was ok.
    Wish I had never bothered as I didn't enjoy it. More worried about the long ride home! Would never do it again though it's long for me...
  • Options
    stevec said:

I always drive down in Spain then across to Portugal near Zamora. If you take the Burgos/Slalamanca/Seville road it is dual carriageway all the way and toll free after Burgos. Traffic is virtually non existent, plenty of fuel and coffee stops all the way down.

Done a trip in 2013 which included the road from Pamplona to Salamanca was amazed at how little traffic was on the road, stopped at a place called Tordesillas before stopping at Salamanca for a couple of nights. In Portugal we went to a town called Miranda do Douro, nice place and the roads around the NE of Portugal were very good...I think they were mainly paid for by EU subsidies. Do you have to pre-pay to use the motorways in Portugal?
  • Options

stevec said:

Done a trip in 2013 which included the road from Pamplona to Salamanca was amazed at how little traffic was on the road, stopped at a place called Tordesillas before stopping at Salamanca for a couple of nights. In Portugal we went to a town called Miranda do Douro, nice place and the roads around the NE of Portugal were very good...I think they were mainly paid for by EU subsidies. Do you have to pre-pay to use the motorways in Portugal?
    There are two different toll systems in Portugal, the older one, which we encountered from Lisbon going north is pay at the booth. The newer one, further north is the chip system. Hire cars have the chip installed. When you bring back the car, they are able to get a printout of what tolls you incurred, and you cough up. Unless you are Fumbluff:-)

The motorways were indeed partly funded by EU structural funds, as are the brilliant 4g telco networks and the high speed trains. You might think they used the opportunity better,for themselves and the rest of the EU, than the Irish did. The Portuguese will reap the benefit from this infrastructure in the coming years, and good for them, I say. I don't think there are more friendly and welcoming people in the whole of Europe.
  • Options

stevec said:

There are two different toll systems in Portugal, the older one, which we encountered from Lisbon going north is pay at the booth. The newer one, further north is the chip system. Hire cars have the chip installed. When you bring back the car, they are able to get a printout of what tolls you incurred, and you cough up. Unless you are Fumbluff:-)

The motorways were indeed partly funded by EU structural funds, as are the brilliant 4g telco networks and the high speed trains. You might think they used the opportunity better,for themselves and the rest of the EU, than the Irish did. The Portuguese will reap the benefit from this infrastructure in the coming years, and good for them, I say. I don't think there are more friendly and welcoming people in the whole of Europe.
    How does it work when you have your own car, do you need a chip when using the newer system?
  • Options

stevec said:

How does it work when you have your own car, do you need a chip when using the newer system?
    I am not at all sure about that. They must have a system, because there are no working booths for manual collection in those sections. Hopefully @Algarveaddick knows the answer
  • Options
    I forgot to mention that driving from Sheffield to Caroveiro in the Algarve worked out at about 24 hours with non stop driving to get there, now obviously I didn't want to do that so I split it over four days and I used Ibis hotels on route, every one of these cities had one and they were very cheap.
  • Options
    This is a fairly good guide to the options available

http://www.theportugalnews.com/a22-algarve-tolls-what-you-need-to-know

If you are on a one off visit, I wouldn't really worry about it - they have no way of chasing foreign cars for unpaid tolls, however if, like musicat you are coming backwards and forwards, best take up one of the options on offer.

The whole thing is a farce really, the seven motorways in the automatic toll network were all built using money that mostly came from EU grants, they were, by law, supposed to be free forever, as Portugal didn't really own them, the EU did. Then they changed the law... Welcome to Portugal.
  • Options

If you are on a one off visit, I wouldn't really worry about it - they have no way of chasing foreign cars for unpaid tolls, however if, like musicat you are coming backwards and forwards, best take up one of the options on offer.

The whole thing is a farce really, the seven motorways in the automatic toll network were all built using money that mostly came from EU grants, they were, by law, supposed to be free forever, as Portugal didn't really own them, the EU did. Then they changed the law... Welcome to Portugal.

Nothing is free forever. As we are about to find out if we use German autobahnen....
  • Options

Nothing is free forever. As we are about to find out if we use German autobahnen....
    I wouldn't mind R, but they were only free for about six or seven years...
  • Options
    Oh - and the improvements to the only alternative road - the EN125 - which were supposed to have been made BEFORE the tolls were introduced, have still not started almost five years later...