Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

UFC Thread

Comments

• Options
    Khabib's stand up and stand up defence is appalling. He's a very slow striker as well.

Like a few people, I keep swaying from one to the next but genuinely believe it's Connors fight to lose.

Khabib's record is padded out with wins against average fighters.

Don't be surprised if Conor wins inside the 1st or 2nd.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Greenie said:

McGregor has a chance early on if he connects, BUT Khabib will be too strong and should win.
    Hopefully McGregor can then crawl back under his stone and just count his money, and never be heard of again.

I now hope McGregor wins. Not sure why people wouldn't want to hear from him again, people may not like his persona but he's one of the best that there has been in this sport, like it or hate it he's box office and there are a lot of big fights on the horizon. He'll be around for a long time to come.

I keep flip flopping between what I think will happen. Start of this week I flipped to Khabib, however after hearing that he has been digging around in Conor's family history tells me that Conor got in his head at that press conference.

McGregor WAS a breath of fresh air when he burst onto the scene, BUT he has changed and has no class whatsoever. You can still be a top fighter and be classy with it, I find him toe curlingly embarrassing now. Unless he changes his attitude it will all end in tears.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

colthe3rd said:

Greenie said:

McGregor has a chance early on if he connects, BUT Khabib will be too strong and should win.
    Hopefully McGregor can then crawl back under his stone and just count his money, and never be heard of again.

I now hope McGregor wins. Not sure why people wouldn't want to hear from him again, people may not like his persona but he's one of the best that there has been in this sport, like it or hate it he's box office and there are a lot of big fights on the horizon. He'll be around for a long time to come.

I keep flip flopping between what I think will happen. Start of this week I flipped to Khabib, however after hearing that he has been digging around in Conor's family history tells me that Conor got in his head at that press conference.

McGregor WAS a breath of fresh air when he burst onto the scene, BUT he has changed and has no class whatsoever. You can still be a top fighter and be classy with it, I find him toe curlingly embarrassing now. Unless he changes his attitude it will all end in tears.
    Funny that I'm just listening to DC speak about Conor and says that he is all class, is great for the sport and has been nothing but professional. This coming from one of the all time greats, a true professional AND Khabib's team mate.

Greenie from the internet knows better though!
  • Options
    Don't get those who say Khabib will be too strong. In their second fight, McGregor went 5 rounds with Nate Diaz at welterweight.

I didn't think Khabib was that impressive v Iaquinta (who took the fight at short notice) and McGregor can definitely get at him with that left hand.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Greenie said:

colthe3rd said:

Greenie said:

Funny that I'm just listening to DC speak about Conor and says that he is all class, is great for the sport and has been nothing but professional. This coming from one of the all time greats, a true professional AND Khabib's team mate.

Who is DC?
    I watched CM's press conference and like I say, and its not just me saying out, the bloke has no control when he speaks, and has no class.

Nice little dig BTW. So where do we go from here?
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Greenie said:

colthe3rd said:

Greenie said:

colthe3rd said:

Greenie said:

Who is DC?
    I watched CM's press conference and like I say, and its not just me saying out, the bloke has no control when he speaks, and has no class.

He's the only proper PPV star they have, and that is down to both his ability in the octagon as well as his ability to sell fights.

If CM didn't get all Conor like in the presser with Khabib then it would have gone down as the most forgettable presser in history.

The brashness is part of what has made CM what he is today. The only UFC fighter that actually turns a decent profit for the organisation, which is why he's the only one earning silly money for his fights.

You can have all the talent in the world but, in the long run, it wont sell tickets. Sad fact of the UFC game I'm afraid. Just look at Jose Aldo's numbers.

DC is Daniel Cormier.
  • Options

Greenie said:

colthe3rd said:

Greenie said:

colthe3rd said:

Greenie said:

Who is DC?

He's the only proper PPV star they have, and that is down to both his ability in the octagon as well as his ability to sell fights.

If CM didn't get all Conor like in the presser with Khabib then it would have gone down as the most forgettable presser in history.

The brashness is part of what has made CM what he is today. The only UFC fighter that actually turns a decent profit for the organisation, which is why he's the only one earning silly money for his fights.

You can have all the talent in the world but, in the long run, it wont sell tickets. Sad fact of the UFC game I'm afraid. Just look at Jose Aldo's numbers.

DC is Daniel Cormier.
    I understand all the above, and how it all works, CM is UFC at the moment, but I still cant like CM though.
    Thanks for IDing the initials, cheers.
  • Options
    Conor wins. First round
  • Options
    Got to pick up on a few points above.

Khabib is from Dagestan, if you think someone like Conor could get into his head you don't know what sort of things he would of experience as he was growing up. He was incredible calm during the press conference in my opinion.

Khabib's stand up is appalling? How many times has he been dropped? There is similar comments regarding Conor's ground game, yet he has very good takedown defence. Not being as good as the other at a certain aspect of the fight doesn't mean they're appalling.

I can find plenty of plenty of fighters who don't think he's good for the sport, ask Michael Chiesa, Ray Borg and Rose Namajunas for starters!

As for the fight. It's a bad one for both fighters and can go either way. Conor's movement and punching at awkward angles combined with John Kavanagh's game plan will make it tough work or a short night for Khabib. If Khabib gets him down, which won't be easy with Conor's movment, I can't see Conor escaping. A tap out by Conor due to strikes would be delightful! I don't think Conor's time off from MMA will have any affect.

As a betting man I would put money on Conor, purely because he is the underdog with the better odds. Such a great fight!
  • Options

Khabib is from Dagestan, if you think someone like Conor could get into his head you don't know what sort of things he would of experience as he was growing up. He was incredible calm during the press conference in my opinion.

Sorry FoD, I like your posts on here and you clearly know what you're on about with regards to MMA but I disagree with you here. Khabib was calm to begin with, put on the whole calm, I don't care persona but Conor got to him with the Magomedov comments and the stuff about his Eagles MMA etc. He definitely got a rise out of him for that, something I'm fairly certain no one has done up until this point. Conor has got into his head, whether the mind games will actually affect him is another question but we find out this weekend (I hope).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No need to apologise, others have said the same and only Khabib himself knows. He was definitely a lot calmer than how others reacted. We find out on Saturday!
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Sorry FoD, I like your posts on here and you clearly know what you're on about with regards to MMA but I disagree with you here. Khabib was calm to begin with, put on the whole calm, I don't care persona but Conor got to him with the Magomedov comments and the stuff about his Eagles MMA etc. He definitely got a rise out of him for that, something I'm fairly certain no one has done up until this point. Conor has got into his head, whether the mind games will actually affect him is another question but we find out this weekend (I hope).
    I'm with FOD. I don't think he got in his head at all, i'm sure it irritated him a bit when Conor was doing his usual standup routine, but in the staredown he looked calm and as has been previously mentioned, growing up in Dagestan is a whole nother world of toughness mentally to withstand.
  • Options

No need to apologise, others have said the same and only Khabib himself knows. He was definitely a lot calmer than how others reacted. We find out on Saturday!

Its sure to be a good match.
  • Options
    Has anyone watched the Inside the Octagon with Dan Hardy this week? Love his breakdowns. Heard him doing a media call about the fight and he thinks with how Khabib comes into the close space a bit recklessly and how adept Conor is at catching people coming in he thinks he'll clean him out in one shot.
  • Options

Has anyone watched the Inside the Octagon with Dan Hardy this week? Love his breakdowns. Heard him doing a media call about the fight and he thinks with how Khabib comes into the close space a bit recklessly and how adept Conor is at catching people coming in he thinks he'll clean him out in one shot.

It's a possibility.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Never seen Khabib so rattled, that doesn't mean too much but Conor is in his head.
  • Options
    Khabib said after his public work out that Christopher McGreggor, Conor's grandfather was in the British Navy and fought the Irish! :smiley:
  • Options
    Over the past few years I have always think Conor has bitten off more than he can chew when it comes to his latest fight, and he often proves me wrong in a absolutely dominating way.

Khabibs initial takedowns are not the most technical or disguised in the game, and with conors elite understanding or space and movement I think they are looking to time a knee if Khabib shoots.

However of Khabib gets Conor against the cage and down on the floor I find it hard to see how Conor solves that problem.
  • Options
    Khabib makes weight.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great fight analysis here, if you click on the post, there's a dozen more from him.

• Options
    Khabib will come into this fight bigger than Conor and Conor had bigger muscle mass than Diaz and it's clear who was the better conditioned of the two. I don't think the person who did those tweets know what they are talking about.
  • Options

Great fight analysis here, if you click on the post, there's a dozen more from him.

Used to love him on heavy hands podcast, shame he's decided to not cover the sport professionally anymore but his tweets are exactly how I feel about tonight. Both men know what they need to do to avoid the danger posed by the other, for me it all comes down to the mental side.

Fuck I'm excited for this and that's not even talking about Ferguson Pettis which should also be a cracker.
  • Options
    Khabib looked tiny on the scales
  • Options
    Lewis v Volkov, what a fight.
  • Options
    "I got a phone call from Trump and he said I had to knock that Russian motherfucker out" hahahahaa
  • Options
    My balls were hot
  • Options
    Derrick Lewis is absolutely hilarious, bit of a slob but I respect he always goes for bombs and never gives up, charismatic guy and the sport needs more people like him
  • Options
    Was a lot of that Pettis and Ferguson post match interview blanked out? What kind of stuff are they saying that causes them to do that?
  • Options
    I think if it's after 5 am there are laws around what can be broadcast. Wild fight and lived up to what I'd hoped for.

Now, it's time!