Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

UFC Thread

Comments

• Options
    McBobbin said:

But he is still almost laughing and smirking and thinking of how he can promote it again

Dana needs to roll back the years when the ufc was called cage fighting and the negative impact that had on growing what is a fantastic sporting event ,I grew old and bored of UFC and lost interest especially when McGregor started his bullshit and Dana was just allowing him to rule the whole brand

Dana when ultimate fighter started cared about changing perspectives on the brand from cage fighting to MMA

Cage fighting was where men with little rules or guidance could fight legally using little or no rules

What we have now is very different to back then and it’s a fantastic brand and fantastic sport

But it can be lost and ruined if the management allow this to continue

100% I used to watch the early UFCs when it was a real blend of different martial artists and wrestlers. Entertaining enough, but more of a curiosity than something that needs to be taken seriously. Modern MMA is a serious discipline in its own right, and could go mega.

I've just caught up with last night's shenanigans... UFC goes nowhere until it's sorted out MacGregor
    Whether you like him or not, McGregor has made the UFC far more popular than it was. His PPV numbers back that up. The guy transcends the sport.

Example today, 2 guys from my work came to our local pub this morning (which opened at 6am here in Dubai) to watch it. Not a chance in hell they'd have done that for any other fighter.
  • Options

McBobbin said:

But he is still almost laughing and smirking and thinking of how he can promote it again

Dana needs to roll back the years when the ufc was called cage fighting and the negative impact that had on growing what is a fantastic sporting event ,I grew old and bored of UFC and lost interest especially when McGregor started his bullshit and Dana was just allowing him to rule the whole brand

Dana when ultimate fighter started cared about changing perspectives on the brand from cage fighting to MMA

Cage fighting was where men with little rules or guidance could fight legally using little or no rules

What we have now is very different to back then and it’s a fantastic brand and fantastic sport

100% I used to watch the early UFCs when it was a real blend of different martial artists and wrestlers. Entertaining enough, but more of a curiosity than something that needs to be taken seriously. Modern MMA is a serious discipline in its own right, and could go mega.

I've just caught up with last night's shenanigans... UFC goes nowhere until it's sorted out MacGregor
    Whether you like him or not, McGregor has made the UFC far more popular than it was. His PPV numbers back that up. The guy transcends the sport.

Example today, 2 guys from my work came to our local pub this morning (which opened at 6am here in Dubai) to watch it. Not a chance in hell they'd have done that for any other fighter.
    But how much leeway do you give a guy? Conor has been given way too much regardless of his drawing power.
  • Options
    There was talk early on about this fight being held in Moscow. Could you imagine how that would've ended up.

Conor bit off a lot more than he could chew, both in and out of the octagon.
  • Options

McBobbin said:

McGregor is finished last night he got served regardless of connors PPV value in the past he is not the fighter he once was,

Now is the perfect time for Dana to show strength
  • Options

There was talk early on about this fight being held in Moscow. Could you imagine how that would've ended up.

Conor bit off a lot more than he could chew, both in and out of the octagon.

Doubt the Irish would travel in the numbers for that one! Seems like they didn't have much fun tonight if the Internet is correct.
  • Options

Jumping into the crowd to try to kick and punch a spectator is only acceptable if they are a gobby Palace chav, everyone knows that.

Danis has a reputation in the Jiu Jitsu community of being a mouthy gob shite.
  • Options

McBobbin said:

But how much leeway do you give a guy? Conor has been given way too much regardless of his drawing power.
    Absolutely agree, can't argue with that. But i guess when a guy is pulling in huge numbers and making you that much money you're going to give him a bit of extra leeway.

But obviously no one is going to feel too sorry for McGregor given his past antics.
  • Options
    Seems like some people are feeling sorry for him! He called it on with Khabib's team!
  • Options
    Anyone know why McGregor didn't do the press conference after? I thought it was compulsory.

If Khabib could go along after all the post-fight antics, i'm surprised McGregor wasn't there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can the media stop saying he tapped to a RNC, it was a neck crank.

Anyone know why McGregor didn't do the press conference after? I thought it was compulsory.

If Khabib could go along after all the post-fight antics, i'm surprised McGregor wasn't there.

He said the following on twitter.

Good knock. Looking forward to the rematch.”
  • Options

What did khabib do that was disgusting ?

Jumped the fence to start a fight with McGregor's team, then one of his team attacked McGregor from behind. Dirty tactics, but at the same time as everyone else has said, McGregor has pretty much brought it on himself with the bus incident, the terrorist taunts, the digs at Khabib's religion.
    This is annoying me now because you are at least the 100th person to spread a message that could be misinterpreted that I've seen today alone.

McGregor at a press conference was loud mouthed by Khabib's manager Ali Abdelaziz so Conor responded by calling him a terrorist. This isn't a slur, Ali was genuinely a terrorist. He also didn't exactly dig out his religion, I think the worst it ever got was offering him some whiskey and Khabib declined. The bus incident is on par with the aftermath of the fight, both a pair of idiots who let their emotions get the better of them and both rightly will be punished for making the best combat sport look a joke.

I've seen McGregor being labelled a racist by a lot of people and it's because of posts like this and it's not a good look, just think you should have made it more clear
  • Options
    After the Coventry mugging, it cheered me up to see McGregor being humiliated in 4 rounds. Khabib totally outclassed McGregor who is a classless person. After having his bus attacked by the gobby man it's good to see what goes around comes around.
    In some parts of the world you can't insult a man's family without paying a price.
    As the Irishman has found out.
  • Options

Jumped the fence to start a fight with McGregor's team, then one of his team attacked McGregor from behind. Dirty tactics, but at the same time as everyone else has said, McGregor has pretty much brought it on himself with the bus incident, the terrorist taunts, the digs at Khabib's religion.
    . The bus incident is on par with the aftermath of the fight,
    Wow. Aftermath was emotions getting the better of people and handbags. Bus incident nearly blinded someone.
  • Options
    Lot of experts in this thread all of a sudden.

Also a lot of people seem to actually be defending what happened. Two wrongs don't make a right, what McGregor did was disgusting, what Khabib did last night was also disgusting but some are letting their absolute hatred towards McGregor cloud that.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

Wow. Aftermath was emotions getting the better of people and handbags. Bus incident nearly blinded someone.
    He threw an object at a window, I don't think he expected it to be that bad, Khabibs team was cheap shotting McGregor with intent to hurt him when he had just lost a 4 round fight, it was planned and intentional.

I ain't acting like McGregor is innocent, I went off him right about after the second Nate fight but he is a showman, because of his job of selling tickets he has propelled Khabib to a mainstream super star status, set him up for his first legitimate big name win and got him his biggest pay day to date by far. I'm sure Khabib is fine

Edit: just realise you said nearly blinded someone, Michael Chiesa had a cut on his head and milked a law suit. Definitely not as dangerous as made out
  • Options
    I don’t know much about UFC.....but I do know an arsehole when I see one.

CM deserved what he got as far as I can tell.

As has been said elsewhere, Dana White let this go way too far and has to shoulder some of the blame.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

What a crock of shit.

UFC is total garbage as far as I'm concerned - the noble art of boxing, for all it's faults with judging and the like, is so far ahead it's untrue.

Yes because you never get any unsavoury incidents going on in boxing.........

I could think of several just off the top of my head
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

He threw an object at a window, I don't think he expected it to be that bad, Khabibs team was cheap shotting McGregor with intent to hurt him when he had just lost a 4 round fight, it was planned and intentional.

I ain't acting like McGregor is innocent, I went off him right about after the second Nate fight but he is a showman, because of his job of selling tickets he has propelled Khabib to a mainstream super star status, set him up for his first legitimate big name win and got him his biggest pay day to date by far. I'm sure Khabib is fine

Edit: just realise you said nearly blinded someone, Michael Chiesa had a cut on his head and milked a law suit. Definitely not as dangerous as made out
    It was Raymond Borg who was nearly blinded. :neutral: The rest of your post is of similar nonsense.
  • Options

bobmunro said:

What a crock of shit.

UFC is total garbage as far as I'm concerned - the noble art of boxing, for all it's faults with judging and the like, is so far ahead it's untrue.

I don't disagree. But in my opinion, as a sport there is no comparison.
  • Options

It was Raymond Borg who was nearly blinded. :neutral: The rest of your post is of similar nonsense.
    He got red-eye

If by nonsense you mean facts then yeah I guess? Not one thing I said was nonsense
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

What a crock of shit.

Professional boxing had a bit of a head start on the UFC though.

In terms of popularity boxing is well ahead, but the gap is closing, for example i've absolutely no doubt that the PPV figures for last night in the US will be more than GGG v Canelo.
  • Options

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

What a crock of shit.

Professional boxing had a bit of a head start on the UFC though.

In terms of popularity boxing is well ahead, but the gap is closing, for example i've absolutely no doubt that the PPV figures for last night in the US will be more than GGG v Canelo.
    I'm not doubting its growing popularity and yes of course boxing has been around a lot longer. It's a personal opinion and it's just not for me. I rarely watch UFC but watched the whole show last night and after it I remembered why I rarely watch UFC!

Other people enjoy it - that's fine. It's just that I don't.
  • Options
    First time I’ve ever really watched a UFC fight. I’m with @bobmunro not for me. The wrestling, grappling etc bores me.

Everyone condemns the after stuff but the promoter will be laughing, it’s tripled the publicity and reach of the actual fight
  • Options

First time I’ve ever really watched a UFC fight. I’m with @bobmunro not for me. The wrestling, grappling etc bores me.

Everyone condemns the after stuff but the promoter will be laughing, it’s tripled the publicity and reach of the actual fight

To be fair if that's the first UFC fight you've watched then i can understand as Khabib isn't an exciting fighter at all. Did you see the fight before it?
  • Options
    You really really dislike him don't you?

Surely Khabib started it by attacking Dannis?