Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Churchino on last season

2»

Comments

• Options
    "He always gave what looked like 100% effort and, in truth, we can't ask for any more than that."

Well... we really kind of can. I mean, a striker who doesn't score, doesn't really hold the ball up or provide chances for others, and for all the much lauded effort he put in never actually achieved anything... sorry, but he was an awful player for us. A nice guy, and perhaps he gave his best... but his best was shit. If you wanted someone who could run a lot pop down the local gym and sign whoever was on the treadmill at the time and save a bit of dosh.

I have nothing against him as a person of course. But as a player? Terrible. Just terrible.
  • Options
    Churchino is basically a Welsh football playing version of this dude:

He tries hard, so very hard. And it's painful to watch, and you really want him to succeed, just once. But he never, ever, does.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

"He always gave what looked like 100% effort and, in truth, we can't ask for any more than that."

Well... we really kind of can. I mean, a striker who doesn't score, doesn't really hold the ball up or provide chances for others, and for all the much lauded effort he put in never actually achieved anything... sorry, but he was an awful player for us. A nice guy, and perhaps he gave his best... but his best was shit. If you wanted someone who could run a lot pop down the local gym and sign whoever was on the treadmill at the time and save a bit of dosh.

I have nothing against him as a person of course. But as a player? Terrible. Just terrible.

I would argue that it is up to the scouts and the management team to identify if a player has talent. Once he's been signed it is up to the player to give 100% and follow instructions. There is no indication that he failed to do as he was told - except to leave when asked to.
  • Options
    I am pretty sure he was signed as a striker, or at the bare minimum a 'forward' and as such score goals or at least make it possible for goals to be scored. This is something he completely and consistently failed to do. He did not get the 'spongefoot' nickname for no reason - no coach in the game would instruct him 'just give the ball a little tap and roll it at about snail speed.' That was purely because he wasn't very good at doing what we needed him to do - provide goals.

I am sure he was a nice bloke. I am sure he tried hard. But frankly a knackered Igor was still more of a threat than Church giving 100% and that's pretty damning.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

I am pretty sure he was signed as a striker, or at the bare minimum a 'forward' and as such score goals or at least make it possible for goals to be scored. This is something he completely and consistently failed to do. He did not get the 'spongefoot' nickname for no reason - no coach in the game would instruct him 'just give the ball a little tap and roll it at about snail speed.' That was purely because he wasn't very good at doing what we needed him to do - provide goals.

I am sure he was a nice bloke. I am sure he tried hard. But frankly a knackered Igor was still more of a threat than Church giving 100% and that's pretty damning.

I'm sure he still is.
  • Options
    If it's true that he was on more than the others then I'm surprised and impressed that no one has mentioned how it could've paid for Yann's increased wages..

Lights touch paper, backs away slowly
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

thenewbie said:

I'm sure he still is.
    Aha, yes indeed. But his Charlton career is now entirely past tense, fortunately. Whether he is a saint or a complete [insert insult of choice] it really doesn't matter any more.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    thenewbie said:

bobmunro said:

thenewbie said:

I'm sure he still is.
    Aha, yes indeed. But his Charlton career is now entirely past tense, fortunately. Whether he is a saint or a complete [insert insult of choice] it really doesn't matter any more.
    Good guy, always gave his best, but his best wasn't quite up to it - pretty much sums him up for me.
  • Options

I appreciate that contracts are going to be beneficial to both parties sometimes and or one or the other on other occasions. We did give him the contract, but I suspect that had he been a rip roaring success and a top Premier League side had come in for him and offered him a huge pay increase, he would have been just as keen to move on as we were to have him leave when it didn't work out.

we could have refused the move, just like he did.
  • Options
    Given the timing and circumstances of his arrival I doubt if Church was especially well paid for a striker. It's more likely that there was pressure to get him off the books simply because he was not seen to be delivering corresponding value, which appears to have also been the case with Morrison and now to be with Wiggins, etc.
  • Options
    It is worth sometimes looking at this from the club's perspective. They aren't a charity, this is purely a results business. If a manager feels, rightly or wrongly, that he can improve quality in a position - tough decisions must be made regarding the current inhabitant.

Take Wiggins: I personally like him a lot, and hope he rediscovers his form. However GL may think we can make a small improvement in that position, in either quality or fitness. We aren't at a level where we can realistically have more than 2 left-backs, and Fox is more than adequate cover, so Wiggins goes. It may not be palatable to us, but it's just the way it is.

You can only really tell after the fact whether the decision to get rid was the correct one. In the case of Morrison, I think Bob misjudged the situation badly. He obviously felt Bikey was the better player, and Morrison was too close in terms of standing and wages to keep hanging around. We know now that was wrong, And Bikey deteriorated badly. Perhaps if we swap Wiggins for Bergdich we'll feel the same in a few months, or maybe not.
  • Options

It is worth sometimes looking at this from the club's perspective. They aren't a charity, this is purely a results business. If a manager feels, rightly or wrongly, that he can improve quality in a position - tough decisions must be made regarding the current inhabitant.

Take Wiggins: I personally like him a lot, and hope he rediscovers his form. However GL may think we can make a small improvement in that position, in either quality or fitness. We aren't at a level where we can realistically have more than 2 left-backs, and Fox is more than adequate cover, so Wiggins goes. It may not be palatable to us, but it's just the way it is.

You can only really tell after the fact whether the decision to get rid was the correct one. In the case of Morrison, I think Bob misjudged the situation badly. He obviously felt Bikey was the better player, and Morrison was too close in terms of standing and wages to keep hanging around. We know now that was wrong, And Bikey deteriorated badly. Perhaps if we swap Wiggins for Bergdich we'll feel the same in a few months, or maybe not.

I understand that Peeters argued he was acting under instructions re Morrison and the same may have applied re Church (although he wasn't good enough, just what we could afford to get in 2013). The difference with Wiggins is that the current regime gave him a four-and-a-half-year contract, so it's their own judgement they are second-guessing.
  • Options

I understand that Peeters argued he was acting under instructions re Morrison and the same may have applied re Church (although he wasn't good enough, just what we could afford to get in 2013). The difference with Wiggins is that the current regime gave him a four-and-a-half-year contract, so it's their own judgement they are second-guessing.
    Oh fucking hell have a break mate
  • Options

If that is true, why was he given the two year deal? Even more odd that he was then moved on for free
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

If that is true, why was he given the two year deal? Even more odd that he was then moved on for free
    I'd forgotten they gave Morrison a contract too, to be fair. I agree that it makes no sense, but I know that Peeters tried to get across subsequently that he had been acting under orders to get the wage bill down when he pushed him out.
  • Options

wmcf123 said:

I'd forgotten they gave Morrison a contract too, to be fair. I agree that it makes no sense, but I know that Peeters tried to get across subsequently that he had been acting under orders to get the wage bill down when he pushed him out.
    That is of course assuming we believe Peeters... I have no idea if he was lying or telling the truth there by the way, simply that he could well be attempting a bit of spin to try and polish up his own role in the debacle and push the blame onto the ownership. Or maybe he genuinely was under orders the whole time!

It does sound like something did happen or change somehow during Peeters' brief reign. It started well then went terribly off the rails, I suspect things happened behind the scenes or on the training ground that we still don't fully know about and probably won't find out.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PL54 said:

se9addick said:

Swisdom said:

Don't shoot the messenger but I was told he was our highest earner.

Makes sense given he was a Bosman but, if true, I can see why we would want him off the wage bill.

I hope you are very, very wrong. If he was the highest earner, how much would he have taken out of Charlton ?
    How could Church have been our highest earner ?
    He had a massive NO goal bonus as well.