Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic Foreign Football Team/Club - Does it matter to you?

Comments

• Options
    i think it does.

while i like a smattering of quality imports, it is often difficult for them to adapt to the championship and the english game. so it's obviously disappointing when it doesn't work out.

i was only thinking about this question a month ago and i feel when you can't pronounce your own players name's, something feels as if it's been lost. that said i'm not advocating brits only.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    I'd love to have a core of young players from the local area who have come through the academy complimented by a few foreign signings.

But of paramount concern is that we win football matches.
  • Options
    What a question. It has a philosophical angle as well. If an Alien landed on earth and said 'Human. take me to your leader', where would anybody take them?
    We are all foreigners to somebody, but then again we all share the same planet.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

What a question. It has a philosophical angle as well. If an Alien landed on earth and said 'Human. take me to your leader', where would anybody take them?

Very true, would you take them to Jackson or Cousins ?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

seth plum said:

Seth would take them to Jeremy Corbyn :smile:
  • Options

se9addick said:

seth plum said:

Seth would take them to Jeremy Corbyn :smile:
    Nobody leads me, they serve :smile:
  • Options

they should only be from south east London. maybe the odd exception from north kent but that is all.

I like it, Bilbao style !
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    The problem with the 'better' English players is that they grow up watching their teams play in the premier league...
    They're used to good signings earning a lot of money , and so they have the attitude of 'if he can get that , I should because I'm English'

I'd 100% rather have foreign player who actually respects the club and enjoys, values and is excited to play for us (like big Simon , Bauer and ba) seem to be.
  • Options
    Can't say I'm bothered either way. As long as the players selected wear the shirt with pride and are prepared to spill blood for the club then I don't care if they were born here or Timbuktu.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    These things are only ever a problem when things don't go well.

Personally, i have some reservations. All back to the identity thing really.

But at the same time i kind of accept the fact that there is value in it. Many people will happily get a crew of Polish in do their driveway if they think they can get the job done adequately and save themselves £2k in the process, so football won't be any different.
  • Options
    My preference is for an all-Belgian team.
  • Options
    I would love a whole squad of players that were born within a mile of the Valley. What I don't want are mercenaries, Foreign or British. As long as they are willing to put the effort in for the red shirt that will do for me.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    It does concern me that so few English boys/young men are making it as professional footballers at a decent level .. presumably DVD and computer based games are more attractive than 'the real thing' .. As for CAFC, if the overseas players do a good job, then that's fine by me .. BUT .. it would be nice to see a squad of 22 players all born and brought up within a mile of the Valley .. more chance of seeing Elvis and Marilyn Monroe having a snog in Grimsby McDonalds though .. as I wrote on another post, with all our foreign new boys, we're fast becoming the Arsenal of the South Bank .. let's hope that we are as successful in the longer run

NOTE to @dickplum .. great minds think alike .. a mile is a mile is a mile ((:>)
  • Options
    No
  • Options
    Back in the fifties when half the team were quality South Africans fans were not complaining.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Fans in the late 40's and early 50's were probably having the same debate over the likes of Leary, Firmani and Hewie in the Royal Oak over a pint of Burnt Mild and a cheese sarnie.

If there good enough, then fine, but be careful if the ootball league vote re Home Grown academy players come into effect.
  • Options
    Telepathy Shirty ?
  • Options

Telepathy Shirty ?

I'm 85.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    shirty5 said:

Telepathy Shirty ?

I'm 85.

Keep going mate .Hope your fit and well.
  • Options

It does concern me that so few English boys/young men are making it as professional footballers at a decent level .. presumably DVD and computer based games are more attractive than 'the real thing'

Its the easy option these days... Same with ex-Players choosing become Pundits rather than Managers
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    There is a long tradition of foreign players at Charlton as has been mentioned above and some of those players are viewed by the majority of fans with just as much affection as English and local players.

In itself therefore, viewed in isolation, it is not a problem or concern.

However under the present ownership there is much worry and uncertainty as to the future direction and destiny of the Club. We have seen one of our most promising youngsters almost given away for example over the summer when the published price is compared to other players of his age and ability. In such circumstances there is a danger that the identity of the Club, however defined, will be eroded.

Back in the halcyon trophy winning days of the seventies Kent County Cricket Club imported John Shepherd and Asif Iqbal with the remaining players being homegrown. That is the sort of ratio of foreign players I would like to see in an ideal world at Charlton.

There is of course an EU and Bosman dimension these days which did not exist twenty plus years ago that makes it easy to fill the team with foreigners and if they are perceived as cheaper then a chairman with no real allegiance to the Club and its identity will sign them.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

deep, very deep.
  • Options
    As others have said... in an ideal world, yes it would be great. But we don't live in that ideal world! If the players share the values I like to think remain important at the club then where they were born comes a long way second. Besides which, the likes of Scott Parker came through the academy and then promptly threw a tantrum to chase the cash - nationality is no sign of loyalty or class.
  • Options
    Gutted that we're signing players that have come through the Barca Academy.

I would have much preferred someone from Halifax.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

There's an amazing stat (I believe it's true) that Celtic's 1967 European Cup winning side's starting 11 were all born within 5 miles of Park Head and had supported the club all their lives. That doesn't happen any more.

I'd rather a foreign player who relates to the club and the fans than a UK player who doesn't. If they wear the badge with pride they are Charlton, irrespective of nationality.

@bobmunro

Agree with the second paragraph.

The first paragraph is not true. Most of them were born in / near Glasgow but not all, it's nearer to being within 40 miles than 5, but localish yes. I doubt they were all lifelong fans, for one, the goalkeeper I suspect was Rangers fan (a Rangers trialist and the son of a Rangers player).
  • Options
    For me it's the total experience of going to a match and being entertained. If I see 11 guys playing for the shirt, they can be any nationality whatsoever.
  • Options
    I agree with all the posts along the lines of, "rather have a committed player regardless of where he's from" and have enjoyed watching many a foreign player over the years. What we probably have to concede though is that we'll be seen very differently now from outside; not so much cosy, family-like Charlton, more another Watford (hopefully with similar results). Whether that's a bad thing is of course open to debate but Roland is really making his presence felt now, and hopefully finding better value for his investment overseas. The Charlton most of us have known for so long really is gone in some respcets, but so too is the whole English game as we knew it, possibly from the moment Chelsea started showing no interest in domestic players. This appears to be a genuine attempt to keep pace with the changes around us, but will surely alienate some.

I mentioned Watford's success (which took a few seasons to come to fruition). I'll also mention Bournemouth's, achieved by an English management duo playing primarily domestic players, albeit with foreign backing. From the top down our game provides a worldwide show set against our own famous backdrops, with a truly international cast. Those happier not to join in will likely prefer a team of steady Eddies who they feel they know and trust, and as long as that doesn't result in a downward spiral, it brings its own comforts. But whilst mistakes will still be made, this latest round of investments, coupled with the stadium and academy improvements, surely put to bed any suggestion that RD is going to let our club stagnate.

For me, I'll always feel I can identify a bit more with a team including some local talent, and perhaps a few names I've watched develop at other clubs, but if we're competing for the play-offs in April I probably won't give much thought to the nationality of the player who steers us over the line.