Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic Foreign Football Team/Club - Does it matter to you?

Comments

• Options
    Seriously can't understand why anybody would care about the nationality of our players. Why on earth does it matter?
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    bobmunro said:

There's an amazing stat (I believe it's true) that Celtic's 1967 European Cup winning side's starting 11 were all born within 5 miles of Park Head and had supported the club all their lives. That doesn't happen any more.

I'd rather a foreign player who relates to the club and the fans than a UK player who doesn't. If they wear the badge with pride they are Charlton, irrespective of nationality.

I think it was 30 miles as Bobby Lennox came from a village somewhere but all the rest were born in or very near Celtic Park. Not sure they were all fans (not going in the sectarian thing but Celtic signed Catholics and Protestants) but the point stands.
  • Options
    No
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    I wasn't around in the 40s and 50s but I can imagine that it was still very different from how it is now in terms of foreign influence. Having the odd foreign player like Firmani or Leary may have been out of the norm at that time, but I expect we were still viewed as an English club, with a couple of foreign players.

Nowadays it is a club in the hands of foreign ownership, management, playing staff and money. The only things that keeps it English are the fact that the ground is located in London as are the fans. The direction and success of the club is largely based on foreign control. Effectively a Championship version of Arsenal or Liverpool.
  • Options
    Nationality of players doesn't matter. Even if we're doing badly, it shouldn't, and their disinterest shouldn't be chalked up to quasi-xenophobic "oh it's cos he lacks the English determination and grit" but because they're just disinterested, or shit.

Hopefully none of the new guys are gonna be shit, but, er, yeah.
  • Options
    That's football, we are just a decade behind most other teams
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Team bonding and camaraderie can make the difference to a club at our level , where you'll put your life on the line for your team mates
    If they all bond well then good stuff
    As long as they're the right characters it may happen
    But in all honesty you're more likely to get that die for your team mate attitude from local lads than a mixture of nationalities
    And of course you could say that lad culture might be bad at a club and less likely to arise with a mixture of nationalities

Who knows but the Watford haters of a few years back have disintegrated .....
  • Options
    shine166 said:

That's football, we are just a decade behind most other teams

At one time under Curbs we had 7 or 8 overseas players and that's not including Keily and Kinsella
  • Options

Team bonding and camaraderie can make the difference to a club at our level , where you'll put your life on the line for your team mates
    But in all honesty you're more likely to get that die for your team mate attitude from local lads than a mixture of nationalities
    And of course you could say that lad culture might be bad at a club and less likely to arise with a mixture of nationalities

Who knows but the Warford haters of a few years back have disintegrated .....

Maybe we need to create a siege mentality to bond the players, create a cause or something, like Alan Shearer did for Manure when he said 'you never win anything with kids'.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Maybe we need to create a siege mentality to bond the players, create a cause or something, like Alan Shearer did for Manure when he said 'you never win anything with kids'.
    Hansen
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Passion, desire, ability to connect with fans. This is what I want.

Johnnie Jackson has it in spades and that is why he is so popular. Solly's determination, 100% attitude, crunching tackles and fact he is home grown make him my favourite at the moment.

Of our overseas contingent, Yann was great, effort, desire, passion, skill...he had the lot. Bulot and JBG have skill and an ability to connect with fans.

I would love a team of home grown players, it won't happen and never has. I would however be sad if we did not have a smattering however.

Ultimately I think a massive churn of players is worse than where they are from. It takes time to build rapport/hero status/an affinity with club and player. Watching many seasons of players come and go like Tuc, Reza, Pete would definitely turn me off.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

they should only be from south east London. maybe the odd exception from north kent but that is all.

I like it, Bilbao style !
    No mate, he didn't say they could come from the shires...
    :smile:
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

seth plum said:

Hansen
    Feck. Thank god they're getting the dementia drugs sorted.

• Options
    Chemistry and togetherness born out of having a mostly British squad dosent seem to be as a bigger advantage in the modern game if all. Look at Watford for example no fewer than 18 different nationalities last year .. Ability always seems to outweigh anything else these days
  • Options
    not read all the comments , but I will say there is a differences signing "foreign" players from abroad & signing "foreign" players who have played in the UK for a few seasons. An earlier poster mentioned that some of our best players have been "foreign", and then went on to mention Jensen, Fish, Di Canio - all of whom had played in this country for at least 3 or 4 seasons & so used to physical demands of the league.

For every Claus Jenson there is a Soulayman Diawara or Reza. My main concern is that we have signed too many with no experience of playing in this league and not enough players with championship experience.,,,,,,British or not.
  • Options
    Keep in mind a lot of those key Watford players have been there a while though. Certainly wasn't a promotion team built overnight.
  • Options

These things are only ever a problem when things don't go well.

Personally, i have some reservations. All back to the identity thing really.

But at the same time i kind of accept the fact that there is value in it. Many people will happily get a crew of Polish in do their driveway if they think they can get the job done adequately and save themselves £2k in the process, so football won't be any different.

Great idea for the west Stand car park potholes.
  • Options
    After the last 10 years of abject ness and deterioration, I'm long past being ideological.
    Footballs changed ( not necessarily for the better) and the thought of having a half decent team made up of British players is a rare thing these days.

So no, if that's what it takes to get back to the table, rather than chuffing around in the wind for another 10 - 20 years , then so be it.

I just hope there's some sort of cohesion between the players, as I've no idea, what quality the in comings are.
  • Options
    I've been pondering this during the course of the day. I think I find a bigger problem with so many unfamiliar faces. How many of the current squad will be here in July 2017? Recent history tells us not many.
  • Options
    my first game this season will be at Derby .. I reckon that I will not have seen 5, possibly six starters before and I was at a lot of away games last term .. makes life 'interesting' though, cheering for the shirt not necessarily the wearer of it
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

bobmunro said:

There's an amazing stat (I believe it's true) that Celtic's 1967 European Cup winning side's starting 11 were all born within 5 miles of Park Head and had supported the club all their lives. That doesn't happen any more.

I'd rather a foreign player who relates to the club and the fans than a UK player who doesn't. If they wear the badge with pride they are Charlton, irrespective of nationality.

@bobmunro

Agree with the second paragraph.

The first paragraph is not true. Most of them were born in / near Glasgow but not all, it's nearer to being within 40 miles than 5, but localish yes. I doubt they were all lifelong fans, for one, the goalkeeper I suspect was Rangers fan (a Rangers trialist and the son of a Rangers player).
    Lennox the winger was born about 5miles outside of Glasgow the rest born in the city of Glasgow.As i recall no subs in europern cup back then.
  • Options
    Couldn't care less where a player is from as long as they perform for the club.
    What keeps me awake into the small hours is the lack of balding 50 year old men in our team.
    This really needs to be addressed.
  • Options

bobmunro said:

@bobmunro

Agree with the second paragraph.

The first paragraph is not true. Most of them were born in / near Glasgow but not all, it's nearer to being within 40 miles than 5, but localish yes. I doubt they were all lifelong fans, for one, the goalkeeper I suspect was Rangers fan (a Rangers trialist and the son of a Rangers player).
    Lennox the winger was born about 5miles outside of Glasgow the rest born in the city of Glasgow.As i recall no subs in europern cup back then.
    The Lisbon Lions is the nickname given to the Celtic team that won the European Cup at the Estádio Nacional near Lisbon, Portugal on 25 May 1967, defeating Internazionale 2–1. All but one member of the 15 man squad were born within 10 miles of Celtic Park in Glasgow, Scotland (Bobby Lennox was born 30 miles away in Saltcoats).[1] Celtic's style was the antithesis of the cynical, but highly effective, defensive style of Inter. Jimmy Johnstone described the team's style as "like the Dutch speeded-up."[3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisbon_Lions
  • Options

bobmunro said:

I think it was 30 miles as Bobby Lennox came from a village somewhere but all the rest were born in or very near Celtic Park. Not sure they were all fans (not going in the sectarian thing but Celtic signed Catholics and Protestants) but the point stands.
    I thought Kenny Dalglish was the first protestant to play for Celtic. Mo Johnson was the first to play for both and now lives in America for his own safety.

Celtic has always signed protestants from the 1890s onwards. Jock Stein was a protestant and played for the club in the 1950s. There were plenty before him.

Alfie Conn was the first to play for both old firm clubs in recent times when he signed for Celtic in 1977 having left Rangers for Spurs in 1974
  • Options

Who knows but the Watford haters of a few years back have disintegrated .....

on the flip side i think the fans take to foreign players quicker. A few good games and the BFG & our viking looking striker are probably more likely to stick in the heads of our wider fan base than say if it was a striker called John who was born in Berkshire.
  • Options
    Yep but they need an easyish name for a tune to be sung to to get the fans going
    Leeeeeeeaburn Leeeeeeeaburn
    Or Tony Watt Watt Watt
    Simple name like Igor Igor Igor helps
  • Options

And you never know; a few muslim players doing well might make a few people change their minds : - )

change there minds on what exactly?
  • Options
    edited July 2015