Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Attendance yesterday

I see attendance was 8678. How does that compare to previous years games? Did West Ham bring many?

Comments

• Options
    I'd say West ham brought around 2000
  • Options
    Definitely thought we would have more for a game against Premier League opposition.
  • Options
    And the start of school holidays. Worst weekend in the year.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

I see attendance was 8678. How does that compare to previous years games? Did West Ham bring many?

That's impressive for a pre-season friendly...opposition aside, the playing squad activity must be awakening interest...
  • Options
    I would have been there yesterday had I not been sunning myself in warmer climes.

I'm sure it's the same with many others as well.
  • Options

I would have been there yesterday had I not been sunning myself in warmer climes.

I'm sure it's the same with many others as well.

Exactly, there is a window of opportunity at this time of the year when families can get away for a holiday before the season starts
  • Options
    How many were at the Bilbao friendly in 2008? About 8k for that one too I think?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I thought it weren't too bad , considering it was a bit part team the other side of the tunnel.
  • Options
    Good effort for a pre season friendly when you consider that we got that amount for an F A cup third round tie. Those there did a good job as well as my wife and I could hear them from a mile away. Not sure if that's usual as I'm usually inside the ground, but thought that was decent noise for a pre season match.
  • Options
    Would have probably gone to Chievo, unfortunately I have very little interest in friendlies at any level, it's like playing poker for no money.

Should be a decent turnout against QPR, but if we lose a few early on I can see gates being exceptionally low this season unfortunately.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    cafctom said:

Definitely thought we would have more for a game against Premier League opposition.

We would have, if we'd played Prem League opposition.

We played Prem League reserve opposition, so none of my lot bothered.
  • Options
    Indeed, friendlies have changed in the last ten years or so. It used to be that you saw a first team with a few subs towards the end. Now it's often eleven subs at half time and youth and trialists all over the pitch.

The FA Cup has become a 'reserve' outing too in many instances.

Football is no longer a cheap day out so unless it is a proper first team playing a game that both sides really want to win it can come as no surprise that the attendances are modest compared to league games.

I, also, think the club missed a trick by making it the 'Family Day' or, at least announcing it, so late. Had I known earlier I would have brought my son up but by the time they announced it we'd made other plans. The family days are fun but watching us being taken apart by a West Ham reserve side held no appeal for me at all.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

Would have probably gone to Chievo, unfortunately I have very little interest in friendlies at any level, it's like playing poker for no money.

Should be a decent turnout against QPR, but if we lose a few early on I can see gates being exceptionally low this season unfortunately.

20,000+ for QPR?
  • Options

Huskaris said:

20,000+ for QPR?
    Only with significant giveaways, I'd guess. If there are 10,000 home season tickets and comps and 3,400 aways (the maximum), that's a 6,600 home match sale - two or three times the average, and at higher matchday prices. That's almost unknown, apart from Football for a Fiver.

18,000 would be a good crowd - although if there are a lot of freebies (which I wouldn't expect) anything is possible.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

that were clearly only going to bring a west ham xi due to playing on the thursday in europa lge
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Huskaris said:

20,000+ for QPR?
    Only with significant giveaways, I'd guess. If there are 10,000 home season tickets and comps and 3,400 aways (the maximum), that's a 6,600 home match sale - two or three times the average, and at higher matchday prices. That's almost unknown, apart from Football for a Fiver.

18,000 would be a good crowd - although if there are a lot of freebies (which I wouldn't expect) anything is possible.
    And there will still be plenty of people on holiday (including ST holders) though they still get counted don't they, even if they are not there?
  • Options

Huskaris said:

20,000+ for QPR?

And there will still be plenty of people on holiday (including ST holders) though they still get counted don't they, even if they are not there?
    Indeed, although it's largely a myth that you get smaller crowds in August anyway. I think holidays are offset by (usually) better weather and new season optimism.
  • Options
    I wasn't expecting any more than 7,000 on Saturday, yes you can say it's prem opposition but I don't think anyone could truly get excited about playing West Ham.
  • Options

Huskaris said:

20,000+ for QPR?

I thought the freebies had been cut back by the new regime

• Options
    Pity that season ticket holders were not allowed in as a freebie (or were they ?) .. that would have been a very good marketing ploy as well as a goodwill gesture .. how is the gate money split for these games .. anyone in 'the know' ?
  • Options
    Could Cafc not have had a twin ticket of West Ham and Daggers cup match for a combined £15 for adults, saving a fiver ?
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

Huskaris said:

20,000+ for QPR?

I thought the freebies had been cut back by the new regime

Probably so, but there have been particular matches when this has been relaxed. I wouldn't expect QPR to be one of them.
  • Options
    edited July 2015

Pity that season ticket holders were not allowed in as a freebie (or were they ?) .. that would have been a very good marketing ploy as well as a goodwill gesture .. how is the gate money split for these games .. anyone in 'the know' ?

By agreement, which in turn impinges on giving comps to season-ticket holders. More importantly, the club would probably have made a loss on the game if it let season-ticket holders in for nothing - the net ticket revenue would only be about £50k-£55k from that gate (say roughly 4,500 @ £8.33, 3,500 at £4.16 and 500 comps) as it is. I should think costs were £15-20k, before any police bill.
  • Options

By agreement, which in turn impinges on giving comps to season-ticket holders. More importantly, the club would probably have made a loss on the game if it let season-ticket holders in for nothing - the net ticket revenue would only be about £50k-£55k from that gate (say roughly 4,500 @ £8.33, 3,500 at £4.16 and 500 comps) as it is. I should think costs were £15-20k, before any police bill.
    Dont prem teams charge an appearance fee for friendlies these days as well?
  • Options
    Shows what people think of a Pre-Season Friendly compared to the Carling Cup (at any stage) or the FA Cup 3rd Round, the club barely gets anything near 8000 for the Cup matches