Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton signings where you were initially underwhelmed but turned out to be decent

Comments

• wilson, thought he looked rubbish, couldn't control the ball, pass tackle etc. Ended up being one of my favourite players, proper charlton. Never gave up and worked his nuts off. Still a bit ticked we let him go as he seemed like a player that could grow with the club like john robinson.

Sadly I thought Wilson gave up at Watford last season. Up until then, I liked what he did for the team but that performance shocked me (although I do accept that the rest of the team were bad that day too). I too thought he was in the John Robinson mould but ultimately he wasn't in Robinson's class. Not a bad player and could still do a good job for someone.

My choices;

John Robinson (awful for the first part of his CAFC career....brilliant for the bulk of it...and slightly out of his class for the end part).

Stuart Balmer (looked crap to start with but shows what can happen when a young player beds in and applies himself)

Bob Bolder (didn't think he was anywhere near as good as Nicky Johns...especially after his mare at Man City in his 2nd? game....but the fact was, he was an even better keeper than Johns and like Johns, he was a brilliant servant).

• From recent signings it has to be Henderson for me. Even when I saw him at Brighton away I was unsure and not very confident in his ability, but boy did he prove me wrong.
  • edited July 2015

Shaun Bartlett / Jonatan Johansson.

Probably the most unattractive strike force that the Premier League has ever seen but they did the job for us

24 and 27 goals between them in about 130 appearances each.

However they both were utilised well and I loved JJ when I was a kid, hence the 21.
  • Yann, Bartlett, Hunt, Youlds
  • Hreidarsson! Sure we were going to go down when we signed him due to his "jynx" but he was one of my favourite players.
  • Smertin and Zheng Zhi
  • Alan pardew as a player
  • Sponsored links:

• Neil Heaney is a strange one that keeps cropping up in my head. One of the dullest signings of all time but played a part in the greatest game in our history. So in that sense, I guess he was decent.
  • yann kermogant
    JBG
    SIMON WEBSTER
    MARK KINSELLA
  • Garry Nelson
  • Dazzler21 said:

Shaun Bartlett / Jonatan Johansson.

Probably the most unattractive strike force that the Premier League has ever seen but they did the job for us

24 and 27 goals between them in about 130 appearances each.

However they both were utilised well and I loved JJ when I was a kid, hence the 21.
    21 was my favourite number for AGES because of JJ!
  • Chris Powell
  • Shaun Bartlett / Jonatan Johansson.

I dunno I quite fancied them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Graham Moore
  • Andy Todd, when he eventually played CB with brownie
  • McBobbin said:

Andy Todd, when he eventually played CB with brownie

With Rufus, certainly
  • Alan Curbishley
  • Luke Young, and not helped by utterly stinking the place out in the first couple of months at the club.
  • LenGlover said:

Radostin Kishishev

You need burning, as Goonerhater would say :-)

• Rothko said:

Luke Young, and not helped by utterly stinking the place out in the first couple of months at the club.

First year, I would say. I never felt he was naturally a right back- his positioning both defensively and offensively were poor but fair play to him, he became an excellent performer
  • Andy Petterson

Looked as agile as a bag of spuds spuds, played like a potato for the first 18 months or so.

Then seemed to turn it around and had a good 18 month period when he was excellent
  • Andy Petterson

Looked as agile as a bag of spuds spuds, played like a potato for the first 18 months or so.

Then seemed to turn it around and had a good 18 month period when he was excellent

And made the best save in a Charlton shirt ever, undisputed, bar none, at home to Palace. Covered end, diving down to his right Gordon Banks style to keep out a close range header.
  • TBH, for me it was JJ! When we got him from Spurs reserved I thought, huh?... Boy how wrong I wa!

JJ came from Glasgow Rangers.

TBH, for me it was JJ! When we got him from Spurs reserved I thought, huh?... Boy how wrong I wa!

He was a Spurs product but we got him from Notts County.
    It's so confusing when two or more players have the same initials! Even worse is all the people who invoke the spirit of Tal Ben Haim with their "To Be Honest" TLAs; and don't get me started on why people put TBH in the first place. Do they lie the rest of the time and need to let us know about the odd occasion they aren't manipulating the truth?