Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton signings where you were initially underwhelmed but turned out to be decent

13»

Comments

• Even named my kids goldfish Paolo & JJ, twas a sad day when they got flushed down the loo.... the goldfish that is.

My daughter called her pet fish Alan Curbfishley
  • Fumbluff said:

John Robinson....£50k from Brighton, he's never gonna replace Robert Lee we thought, then turned into my all-time favourite player

My dad and I saw Robinson play for Brighton a number of times and my dad turned to me at one game and said if Robert Lee leaves he would be a fantastic replacement!
  • Robbie Mustoe
  • Lawrie Wilson
    Chris Perry
    Christian Dailly
    Johnnie Jackson

Those come to mind however I wouldn't necessarily say I was 'initially underwhelmed' by any signing really, as we have always been in that part of the food chain where we either get average players of our level or those we haven't heard of anyway.
  • DEON BURTON
  • John Barnes
  • Jay Bothroyd
  • Andy Petterson

Looked as agile as a bag of spuds spuds, played like a potato for the first 18 months or so.

Then seemed to turn it around and had a good 18 month period when he was excellent

Good family friend, Luton were due another performance based payment so we bombed him out.
  • I thought Ben Haim appeared a poor signing. Past it, poor attitude etc. However he did a decent job for us and was passionate about playing for us.
  • Another vote for Chris Perry. Short centre half signed for 100k I think? He was superb for us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Andy Hughes, came from Scunthorpe United where their fans absolutely trashed him saying he had lost his legs and was not good enough for them. his 1st game for us he was dreadful at right-back and got trashed because of it. but when he got put in central midfield he did a great job for us.
  • Mustoe and Chris Bart-Williams.

Thought both were past it and that they'd been distinctly average even.before that.

Both did a decent job.
  • Shambling Steve Mackenzie.
  • Shaun Bartlett / Jonatan Johansson.

Probably the most unattractive strike force that the Premier League has ever seen but they did the job for us

Agree, they turned out to be one season wanders scoring close to twenty goals. Why couldn't they be as prolific in their second seasons?