Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tube Strike

Apparently the strike was planned for next week 5th and 6th August - Can anybody confirm whether this strike is still going ahead or have the silly billys managed to come to some sort of agreement?

Comments

• As of this moment its on. But they're still 'talking'.
  • Blast and drat. fingers crossed it can be avoided.
  • I agree with them. It's like saying to office workers you are no longer doing 9-5. From now on 3-11. No choice.
  • Well within the proposed new majority threshold the Tories want. That puts them in a fix, make new laws to restrain the Unions, or allow the free market to find it's own level.
    In a way the tube strike next week is kind of what the country voted for, hard working union members putting themselves and their families first.
    I expect to see Bullenden Boris giving the striking workers a metaphorical pat on the back in the spirit of free enterprise.
  • The issue is that with driverless trains on their way they could, if need be, run these trains overnight without drivers. The future of the drivers would be, significantly, compromised if that happens though as one or two more strikes and London underground will just sack the lot of them. Then they can 'be on strike' for the rest of their lives!

I suspect that the decision to strike or not will be taken when the weather forecast for those days is reliably accurate.
  • Technology eh !

What a shitter.
  • ChiAddick said:

I agree with them. It's like saying to office workers you are no longer doing 9-5. From now on 3-11. No choice.

I think if my job could easily be done by a machine i would be grateful for having said job.
  • Oh for the day when politicians can be replaced by machines.
  • The issue is that with driverless trains on their way they could, if need be, run these trains overnight without drivers. The future of the drivers would be, significantly, compromised if that happens though as one or two more strikes and London underground will just sack the lot of them. Then they can 'be on strike' for the rest of their lives!

I suspect that the decision to strike or not will be taken when the weather forecast for those days is reliably accurate.

When are these driverless trains being introduced?
    I know the technology exists elsewhere but that is one hell of an expensive upgrade. I can't see it happening anytime soon. Unless you know different.

I know the technology exists elsewhere but that is one hell of an expensive upgrade. I can't see it happening anytime soon. Unless you know different.
    only expensive to pay off the unions and their members. The technology exists for driverless trains and driverless cars. As ever, the only thing standing in the way of human progress is people...
  • Sponsored links:

• As long as it's sunny again they can strike if they want - I quite enjoyed the stroll to and from Waterloo to the city last time
  • I am pretty sure the technology exists for sure, however it has to be put in place and that is going to take 20-30 years to get sorted I would guess. In the meantime the drivers in the unions can make hay while the sun shines, a bit like footballers making sure they snaffle all and more of the dosh around in football whilst TV companies shell out.
    I see they have drones, and can clearly fly aircraft from the ground. I reckon the airline companies can soon dispense with any aircrew (sooner than the railways anyway with the drone technology, and the uncluttered sky), and bung on the passengers and fire them off. No airline company personnel would be at risk, a bit like sending people on theme park rides and watching from the sidelines.

only expensive to pay off the unions and their members. The technology exists for driverless trains and driverless cars. As ever, the only thing standing in the way of human progress is people...
    More like money and time.
  • 50k for what they do is absolutely laughable
  • smiffyboy said:

The issue is that with driverless trains on their way they could, if need be, run these trains overnight without drivers. The future of the drivers would be, significantly, compromised if that happens though as one or two more strikes and London underground will just sack the lot of them. Then they can 'be on strike' for the rest of their lives!

Central line, jubilee and northern line trains drive themselves, the person sitting in the cab operates the opening and closing of the doors and is there as a fail safe.

I'm currently working on a project for the Piccadilly line, in 2 years time work starts on introducing a new signalling system, when that's complete, new trains will be introduced, once there all in place and running on the line, work will start to install platform edge doors at every station ( like at North Greenwich ) after they are in place the line will become fully driverless because there is no danger of person on the track, they will employ someone to sit on it at far reduced wages than the drivers and eventually the strong hold they have will be broken, the cost of the upgrade close to 1 billion
    They were talking about doing the platform doors on every station about 10 years ago but said that it wasn't cost effective.
  • Oh for the day when politicians can be replaced by machines.

Well, I'm pretty sure most of them already aren't human.

• Just get some air conditioning on the poxy Central Line , that is filthy hot in the summer
  • wmcf123 said:

50k for what they do is absolutely laughable

The same used to be said about the print industry or coal and to some extent car making. I sure there are other examples where people earn good money for doing what is perceived low skilled work.
    Good luck to anyone who gets well paid in their work. I try not worry about what others have or get.
  • If not working early mornings, evenings and weekends was important to you, at what point would you conclude that being a tube driver wasn't a sensible career choice?
  • I don't think the 24hr running of the tube will do any good, I manage without it now
  • Sponsored links:

• Anyone know if the 24-hour tubes will be running down to Bexleyheath?

About as likely as getting a black cab to south of the river at midnight.
  • If not working early mornings, evenings and weekends was important to you, at what point would you conclude that being a tube driver wasn't a sensible career choice?

Probably if they were the existing conditions as you were about to join the sector.

If & when the night tube starts the 486 bus will run all night from North Greenwich to Bexleyheath.

About as likely as getting a black cab to south of the river at midnight.
    Next time a black cab driver tells you he won't go south of the river, say to him "oh, ok then, I'll just get an Uber". Watch him switch the light off and start the meter for you straight away!!! :smile: