Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tube Strike

Comments

• Options
    They've had it so good for so long, now TFL are looking to push the other way they dont like it. Over a year there's bugger all difference to their working hours and all for a starting wage of 50k for a job where you pull a lever and press a button. Sod em
  • Options
    smiffyboy said:

cafc999 said:

smiffyboy said:

The issue is that with driverless trains on their way they could, if need be, run these trains overnight without drivers. The future of the drivers would be, significantly, compromised if that happens though as one or two more strikes and London underground will just sack the lot of them. Then they can 'be on strike' for the rest of their lives!

I suspect that the decision to strike or not will be taken when the weather forecast for those days is reliably accurate.

When are these driverless trains being introduced?
    I know the technology exists elsewhere but that is one hell of an expensive upgrade. I can't see it happening anytime soon. Unless you know different.
    Central line, jubilee and northern line trains drive themselves, the person sitting in the cab operates the opening and closing of the doors and is there as a fail safe.

I'm currently working on a project for the Piccadilly line, in 2 years time work starts on introducing a new signalling system, when that's complete, new trains will be introduced, once there all in place and running on the line, work will start to install platform edge doors at every station ( like at North Greenwich ) after they are in place the line will become fully driverless because there is no danger of person on the track, they will employ someone to sit on it at far reduced wages than the drivers and eventually the strong hold they have will be broken, the cost of the upgrade close to 1 billion
    They were talking about doing the platform doors on every station about 10 years ago but said that it wasn't cost effective.
    I think over the next 10-20 years all stations will get them
    Would love to see this but with quite a few stations that have curves and not to mention the stations with weak or low platforms then I think it will take more than 10-20 years to complete the project. I say this as I used to work for the company that installed and maintained those doors and they done the study. They were also meant to have done the 10 year overhaul maintenance on those doors a good few years ago as it was part of the original installation contract. However, it has still not been done as they are waiting for the go ahead. I also still think LUL will plough most of their money into the proposed Bakerloo Line extension.
  • Options
    cafc999 said:

smiffyboy said:

cafc999 said:

smiffyboy said:

The issue is that with driverless trains on their way they could, if need be, run these trains overnight without drivers. The future of the drivers would be, significantly, compromised if that happens though as one or two more strikes and London underground will just sack the lot of them. Then they can 'be on strike' for the rest of their lives!

I suspect that the decision to strike or not will be taken when the weather forecast for those days is reliably accurate.

I know the technology exists elsewhere but that is one hell of an expensive upgrade. I can't see it happening anytime soon. Unless you know different.
    Central line, jubilee and northern line trains drive themselves, the person sitting in the cab operates the opening and closing of the doors and is there as a fail safe.

I'm currently working on a project for the Piccadilly line, in 2 years time work starts on introducing a new signalling system, when that's complete, new trains will be introduced, once there all in place and running on the line, work will start to install platform edge doors at every station ( like at North Greenwich ) after they are in place the line will become fully driverless because there is no danger of person on the track, they will employ someone to sit on it at far reduced wages than the drivers and eventually the strong hold they have will be broken, the cost of the upgrade close to 1 billion
    They were talking about doing the platform doors on every station about 10 years ago but said that it wasn't cost effective.
    Would love to see this but with quite a few stations that have curves and not to mention the stations with weak or low platforms then I think it will take more than 10-20 years to complete the project. I say this as I used to work for the company that installed and maintained those doors and they done the study. They were also meant to have done the 10 year overhaul maintenance on those doors a good few years ago as it was part of the original installation contract. However, it has still not been done as they are waiting for the go ahead. I also still think LUL will plough most of their money into the proposed Bakerloo Line extension.
    The Piccadilly line has curved platforms and above ground platforms and they've managed to overcome the problems posed so I can't see it being an issue
  • Options
    smiffyboy said:

cafc999 said:

smiffyboy said:

cafc999 said:

smiffyboy said:

The Piccadilly line has curved platforms and above ground platforms and they've managed to overcome the problems posed so I can't see it being an issue
    Hopefully it will be done then. However, it will take more than 20 years to do complete though as I know how many hours the lads and lasses on the underground work ;-)
  • Options
    Smiffyboy where do you work, as i work directly with T/O's and can tell you it’s under 50k unless you are including pensions contributions as part of your working out and other things?
  • Options
    I/O's are over 50k
  • Options
    edited July 2015

Smiffyboy where do you work, as i work directly with T/O's and can tell you it’s under 50k unless you are including pensions contributions as part of your working out and other things?

Yes mate I was, I work at West ferry circus for LU as a senior electrical engineer but moving to Templar house I'm about to become a construction manager
  • Options
    A black cab driver has never ever refused to take me south of the river, mainly because I can't afford them.
  • Options
    The DLR has worked well with just a bloke controlling the doors. Eventually that will be like the tube.
  • Options
    ChiAddick said:

The DLR has worked well with just a bloke controlling the doors. Eventually that will be like the tube.

Good point but the difference is that the tunnels on the DLR are more modern with more space than the Edwardian tunnels of the tube.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

wmcf123 said:

50k for what they do is absolutely laughable

The same used to be said about the print industry or coal and to some extent car making. I sure there are other examples where people earn good money for doing what is perceived low skilled work.
    Good luck to anyone who gets well paid in their work. I try not worry about what others have or get.
    With you all day.
    I hate jealousy.
    Oh and what people forgot to mention is that LU want to change the rules on where they can place staff. Meaning that if.(for example) you lived in Hounslow, you could be forced to work in Upminster.
  • Options

wmcf123 said:

The same used to be said about the print industry or coal and to some extent car making. I sure there are other examples where people earn good money for doing what is perceived low skilled work.
    Good luck to anyone who gets well paid in their work. I try not worry about what others have or get.
    With you all day.
    I hate jealousy.
    Oh and what people forgot to mention is that LU want to change the rules on where they can place staff. Meaning that if.(for example) you lived in Hounslow, you could be forced to work in Upminster.
    I've got no problem with what they earn....good luck to them.

I don't think they really deserve any sympathy for having to travel to work though?!? I would think that the majority of people have to travel to their place of work.
  • Options

wmcf123 said:

I agree but I wouldn't consistently complain about pay and conditions if I were earning that amount of cash
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

wmcf123 said:

I agree but I wouldn't consistently complain about pay and conditions if I were earning that amount of cash
    You would if your employers kept consistently changing the conditions.

The tube workers are not as innocent as they say they are, but neither are LUL management
  • Options

wmcf123 said:

With you all day.
    I hate jealousy.
    I've got no problem with what they earn....good luck to them.

I don't think they really deserve any sympathy for having to travel to work though?!? I would think that the majority of people have to travel to their place of work.
    The thing is that at present the station staff can be moved a max travel distance of 30 mins from their designated station.
    If you wanted to get rid of someone, what would be easier than shunting them on a two hour each way journey.
  • Options
    The Tube strike for this week has been suspended
  • Options
    smiffyboy said:

The Tube strike for this week has been suspended

Probably cos the weather will be shit. Got to have those sunny strike days...
  • Options
    Very true
  • Options
    3 24hr strikes planned, just heard on the radio, wankers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    London's commuters are likely to be hit by a fresh three days of travel chaos as Tube drivers are set to strike.

In an escalation in the long-running dispute over pay and the launch of the Night Tube, drivers are set to decide on Monday whether to press ahead with a walkout which would cripple the capital’s transport network.

If members of the Aslef drivers’ union agree to the action, there will be a 24-hour strike from 9.14pm on Wednesday, January 27 followed by two further 24 hour strikes from the same time on February 15 and February 17.

London Underground has offered a four-year pay deal and said it will hire part-time drivers to staff an all-night service at weekends.

But unions have been seeking assurances for months about terms and conditions for their members.

Finn Brennan of Aslef said: "We genuinely regret the inconvenience that will be caused by any action but the behaviour of London Underground's senior management team have left us with no other choice.

"Our negotiating team last met London Underground at Acas on November 10 and since then they have refused to talk to us despite repeated requests.

"Our members have been extremely patient, they have waited for more than three and half years for promised talks on improving work life balance. There is still no indication when they will receive the pay rise that was due last April.

"We want to see an all-night service introduced, and we are not opposed to the recruitment of part time staff. But we will not accept a zero hours culture being introduced and working conditions undermined.

• Options
    TFL and the Unions are as bad as each other. Boris is a posh arrogant toff who has let this thing fester. Can't see why he can't compramise.
  • Options
    I keep reading about this work/life balance the unions are demanding on this one.

Does anyone know what the basic conditions for a tube driver currently are and what the unions are demanding in addition?

I always thought that tube rivers already had a pretty good deal, but am happy to be corrected if that's wrong.
  • Options
    I think I've just found the answer to my own question.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33459515

Doesn't sound like a bad lot on the face of it. So what's the beef?
  • Options
    I think there beef is that the part time drivers that they want to hire will be on a zero hour contract.

Once that comes in then they will all have to go on it.
  • Options
    Forgive my ignorance; and I would like to be corrected if wrong.

I thought the benefit (to the employer at least) of zero hour contracts was to have part-time staff that you could use to backfill in circumstances like this where they are extending the operating hours and they want to be flexible.

If some staff are hired on contract B, how would that force existing staff on contract A to change?

If the employer wants to change existing contracts, surely he just enters negotiation with staff and wouldn't go through the rigmarole of employing new workers first?
  • Options
    This is how they will try and play it out:

LUL will employ lots of part time drivers on zero hour contracts. With these type of contracts they will have to pay out a lot less pension money and overtime.

Once they have enough they will start creating difficult shift patterns to try and get rid of some of the full time drivers. This means that they will have to pay out less pension and less overtime.

Soon enough, every driver will be part time on zero hours that will give LUL cart blanche to do what they want, when they want, while paying out less wages and pension.

And while all of this is going on, your fares get increased, year on year.

Zero hour contracts are bad.

As I have said earlier, the drivers are bad but so are the LUL management. Just ask why LUL management have not engaged in talks when ASLEF have repeatedly called for them..??

Greedy drivers + greedy management = stalemate
  • Options
    I deal with the drivers not heard anyone Union side or Management side ever mention Zero hours

My understanding they will sign a Part Time contract of X hours

Knowing Finn, i dont know where he got this from
  • Options
    It was in the standard yesterday