Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bolton vs Charlton 31/7/2015

Comments

• Options
    From what I've read, Bolton were toying with a new formation for the first time. By the sounds of it, it didn't work and the comments about us are erred on the positive, which is encouraging.

Know it sounds obvious, but a goal scorer is going to be huge for us this season. Growing increasingly confident we have the potential to be slick up to the box, but if we haven't got a natural finisher up there like a fit and in for Igor, we could be frustrated
  • Options

I feel confident the goals will come, Watt will have a flyer, Big Mak will chip in with a dozen or so and Igor will smash it after Christmas! Add in JBG, the two big CH from set plays, Cousins pile drivers and Messi junior, who will waltz in double figures.
    Record goals scored this season!

Over 100 league goals. Your optimistic.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Did we play 4-4-2 or 3-5-2? The OS says 3-5-2 but from what some have said it sounds more like 4-4-2.

I'm not the best at judging formations but to me it looked more 3-5-2 but all very fluid in their positions
  • Options

I feel confident the goals will come, Watt will have a flyer, Big Mak will chip in with a dozen or so and Igor will smash it after Christmas! Add in JBG, the two big CH from set plays, Cousins pile drivers and Messi junior, who will waltz in double figures.
    Record goals scored this season!

I totally disagree. A goal scoring forward was desperately needed but was not brought in. I can see the scoring of goals to be a problem this season as it was last season.
    The injury situation with Vetokele is also a real concern.
    We have a really difficult start and I can see us losing the first four games, which will put us under early pressure.

• Options
    Unlikely that a squad with so many changes will hit the ground running and our tough opening fixtures will exacerbate that. I'm expecting a slow burn season anyway. As long as we get better as the season progresses I'll be happy.

It's next and the season after I'm hopeful that the squad is mature enough and added to so that we can challenge.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Good result - did Bolton take it seriously ?

Certainly not at the start, although I suspect they got a rocket at half time. They came out with a lot more urgency in the second half. I thought their subs improved them, in particular Trotter and Spearing, so perhaps Lennon was still trying a few things out. Our subs haven't played much pre-season so its always difficult to rate them. As LL mentioned, Madine was awful but Clough looks a very good player - a lot like Watt.

Either way it looks as if we have bought in a few technically gifted players who can control the ball whilst under pressure. We didn't have that before. I also quite like the idea of a target man. Last season teams figured out that if they pressure us high up the pitch then we are beaten. Now we have a big lad who can hold up the ball and in Tony Watt someone who runs the channels. We are still a few players short for the squad but that was an encouraging insight into the first 11 for QPR.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We knew our status early on. Whilst I fear Dickplum is right, and I understand SHG's slow burn feeling, I expect a great start, and to get points. Not because I think it will happen, but because I want it to happen, and I feel it will be a failing situation if we don't have a good start given the time we have had to prepare, the Gomez money, and the plethora of signings.
    Not that bothered about being realistic, I want to be aspirational.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Did we play 4-4-2 or 3-5-2? The OS says 3-5-2 but from what some have said it sounds more like 4-4-2.

Looked a 4-4-2 to me. Kashi plays very deep but more defensive midfielder than CB while Fox and RCC provided the widths down the flanks. Neither JBG or Cousins played as wingers and often drifted in more central but Cousins was predominantly on the left and JBG on the right. In FM talk, maybe more a 4-1-3-2 ?
  • Options

se9addick said:

Good result - did Bolton take it seriously ?

Certainly not at the start, although I suspect they got a rocket at half time. They came out with a lot more urgency in the second half. I thought their subs improved them, in particular Trotter and Spearing, so perhaps Lennon was still trying a few things out. Our subs haven't played much pre-season so its always difficult to rate them. As LL mentioned, Madine was awful but Clough looks a very good player - a lot like Watt.

Either way it looks as if we have bought in a few technically gifted players who can control the ball whilst under pressure. We didn't have that before. I also quite like the idea of a target man. Last season teams figured out that if they pressure us high up the pitch then we are beaten. Now we have a big lad who can hold up the ball and in Tony Watt someone who runs the channels. We are still a few players short for the squad but that was an encouraging insight into the first 11 for QPR.
    Cheers, agree the squad is still thin but we can add depth until the end of the transfer window but getting the first XI sorted before next Saturday is the immediate priority and it sounds like we're getting there.
  • Options

Unlikely that a squad with so many changes will hit the ground running and our tough opening fixtures will exacerbate that. I'm expecting a slow burn season anyway. As long as we get better as the season progresses I'll be happy.

It's next and the season after I'm hopeful that the squad is mature enough and added to so that we can challenge.

No different to last season when we had many changes to the squad, but instead of struggling we shocked a few sides and were in the top six by the end of august. 8/1 to be in the top six by the 1st September with Sky Bet.

We struggled around October/November due to the lack of investment in a bigger squad. So far that seems to have been rectified this summer.

• Options
    shirty5 said:

No different to last season when we had many changes to the squad, but instead of struggling we shocked a few sides and were in the top six by the end of august. 8/1 to be in the top six by the 1st September with Sky Bet.

We struggled around October/November due to the lack of investment in a bigger squad. So far that seems to have been rectified this summer.

How do the squads compare numbers wise?

Also doing a late pre season for whatever reason again, due to rebuilding squad each year at this late stage
  • Options
    I confess that I have not looked through all of the posts .. anyone who was there .. How did pope play/look and is he ready for next week ?
  • Options

I confess that I have not looked through all of the posts .. anyone who was there .. How did pope play/look and is he ready for next week ?

He didn't have a lot to do. Made one excellent save, caught one cross confidently, but dropped one. A long shot bounced back off his chest, which he should have gathered. Kicking better than last season. Overall, he was OK.
  • Options
    KHA said:

He didn't have a lot to do. Made one excellent save, caught one cross confidently, but dropped one. A long shot bounced back off his chest, which he should have gathered. Kicking better than last season. Overall, he was OK.
    thanks @KHA .. sounds like he's improved .. BUT .. not totally convincing .. let's hope (pray ?) that Henderson is back a s a p
  • Options
    I know preseason results don't really mean a thing at the end of the day, I'm still pleased we didnt take a hammering, even if there are a lot of players that haven't had proper preseasons with us, which could mean they pick up injuries easily as the season wears on, I still think we are better off than we were 12 months ago.

It will be interesting to see what 3 new faces arrive in the next few weeks.
  • Options
    Purely for old times sake, how did Lawrie play?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Totally agree, and as has been quoted many times, judge them after 10 games
  • Options

I really don't like the view that the first games don't mean much as we have a hard start and we shouldn't expect to be near the top.

Agree it could be easier but you can't have any games that are acceptable defeats in this league. Take QPR and Hull at home.... you can guarantee that one of them come the end of the season won't be as high up as you think. The danger is that if you are pointless come the end of August you knock your confidence too much and leave yourself too much to do.

So yes its a hard start, but tough luck, we have to deal with it. Being pointless at the end of August would not be acceptable and could be bad news in the long run.

Agree with this. Last year we thought Wigan would be world beaters as they had just been relegated and were preseason favourites. We beat them with a number of new unknown players In our side. The fact that they turned out to be relegation fodder should not detract from our own achievement then and our expectation now. I don't see much in the QPR squad to terrify us. They were relegated for a reason and have lost a lot of their better players. Bring it on I say.
  • Options
    Cheers for posting the highlights, like the look of Makienok even more, much more mobile then i was expecting him to be, defenders trying to play it out won't get much time on the ball with him and Watt battling away.

Great save from Pope near the end too, hopefully gives his confidence a boost.