Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Perseid Meteor Shower

Anyone in Lodon seen anything of this so far this week? At its peak tonight but cloud seems to be ruining it in the SE.

Comments

• Options
    I'm in Yorkshire. Clear skies, starry night. Can't see any chuffing shower. :frowning:
  • Options
    Halix said:

I'm in Yorkshire. Clear skies, starry night. Can't see any chuffing shower. :frowning:

Surely unless the meteors were born and bred in Yorkshire they wouldnt be welcomed into their sky?
    "?"
  • Options

Halix said:

Surely unless the meteors were born and bred in Yorkshire they wouldnt be welcomed into their sky?
    "?"
    Whoooooooooosssshhhhhhhh!
  • Options
    Was on a plane back from Fuerteventura. Absolutely incredible.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Halix said:

"?"
    Whoooooooooosssshhhhhhhh!
    I was born in E14, and brought up in SE3.
    Pleased to report I was well and truly welcomed in West Yorkshire.
    Still trying to get the drift of Halix's little quip and I don't purport to lack intelligence!
  • Options

Me neither, where are in Yorks are you?

• Options
    @c4fcdenmark Little village called Denby Dale, on the southern edge of Huddersfield - 20 miles SW of Leeds and about 20 miles N of Sheffield.
    Are you in Yorkshire now?
  • Options
    Know Denby Dale well, my sister lived there when she studied at Bretton Hall. I'm In Harrogate.
  • Options
    Nice one. I know Harrogate well; it's where my brother-in-law lives. Go walking around Pateley Bridge fairly regularly.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    4 miles down the road, but do join us anyway!
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Only on CL, could a thread about things that are going on in our galaxy ending up revolving around the centre of the universe according to Sky..

Didn't see anything in Chelmsford or Welling, last night.
  • Options
    Northern Spain cheerfully clouded up, and did'nt see anything. Must have been good on a plane though!!
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    There is a view of Yorkshire folk being very parochial ie Yorkshire Cricket team would reputedly only employ Yorkshire born players at one stage, being unfriendly to "foreigners" ie non Yorkshire folk, and the Geoff Boycott/ All Creature Great and Small, little Yorkshire view of the world, that anyone born out of Gods Own County are aliens, and being born in Yorkshire means that you have come first in the game of life. Perhaps only me, OZaddick, RCC, and Riviera have 'appened to notice this?

Oh and using the word "Chuffing"!

In any case, as I have previously discovered, my attempts at humour often fall on stoney ground, sorry.
  • Options

How is the old rock Leroy?
  • Options
    Halix said:

There is a view of Yorkshire folk being very parochial ie Yorkshire Cricket team would reputedly only employ Yorkshire born players at one stage, being unfriendly to "foreigners" ie non Yorkshire folk, and the Geoff Boycott/ All Creature Great and Small, little Yorkshire view of the world, that anyone born out of Gods Own County are aliens, and being born in Yorkshire means that you have come first in the game of life. Perhaps only me, OZaddick, RCC, and Riviera have spotted this?

In any case, as I have previously discovered, my attempts at humour often fall on stoney ground, sorry.

Didn't take any offence my friend, just could not identify with it. However, I do remember driving with my father over the M62 when I was about 12 and him making a similar comment about Halifax and Huddersfield. I agreed with him that it shouldn't be a place I'd like to return to. 12 years later I was marrying a local lass. Got to say I could not have felt more accepted and my misconceptions were blown away. Folk are extremely friendly.
    And yes, the word 'chuffing' is one I can get away with using more often than not. No comment on your sense of humour though. :wink:
  • Options
    Saw a couple last night in Dartford as I was at an outdoor cinema.
  • Options
    Didn't see any of that, was too busy looking for meteors :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Halix said:

There is a view of Yorkshire folk being very parochial ie Yorkshire Cricket team would reputedly only employ Yorkshire born players at one stage, being unfriendly to "foreigners" ie non Yorkshire folk, and the Geoff Boycott/ All Creature Great and Small, little Yorkshire view of the world, that anyone born out of Gods Own County are aliens, and being born in Yorkshire means that you have come first in the game of life. Perhaps only me, OZaddick, RCC, and Riviera have 'appened to notice this?

It made me chuckle Halix. I thought first of the cricket reference, but ...

When I was a kid the word ‘Tyke’ was commonly used to describe mean people. This was adapted by my long departed dear old Nan to include naughty children. When I close my eyes I can still hear her say, “Gertya - you little Tyke.” I didn’t take it personally though.

A quick glance at Wiki confirms this ‘mean’ perception. They quote the Yorkshireman’s motto.

Ear all, see all, say nowt;
    Eyt all, sup all, pay nowt;
    And if ivver tha does owt for nowt;
    Allus do thissen. (yourself)
  • Options
    Saw a few from last night.

That was even before midnight. Fell asleep in my attempt to stay up for it.
  • Options
    Ont he news it said dont stay up late, you get a better view by getting up early.
  • Options
    Of the dogging????
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    After watching the Day of the Triffids I have always avoided looking at meteor showers. If I was Leroy I would be slightly concerned!
  • Options

Bet that was amazing, was wondering what it would've been like on a plane. Saw it in the peak district with perfect conditions, no cloud or light pollution with lots of them flying about, loads of people out there at 3am, was great.
  • Options

Excellent

One of most favourite memories was a night flight from Manila to Brisbane with a phenomenal electric storm going on above the clouds some many miles to the left / port side.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Carter said:

How is the old rock Leroy?
    Same old same old. Windswept, barren wasteland :smiley:

Had the Calima whilst we were there so sky was pretty grey a lot of the time, but not too windy. Apart from when I was on my bike, of course. Had a 40 mph headwind coming back from one ride
  • Options
    ads said:

Bet that was amazing, was wondering what it would've been like on a plane. Saw it in the peak district with perfect conditions, no cloud or light pollution with lots of them flying about, loads of people out there at 3am, was great.
    It was pretty spectacular - massive thunderstorms below the plane, meteor shower above it!
  • Options

@c4fcdenmark Little village called Denby Dale, on the southern edge of Huddersfield - 20 miles SW of Leeds and about 20 miles N of Sheffield.
    Are you in Yorkshire now?

the home of giant pies