Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Walshy: Paul Walsh plugging his Book on TalkSport.

Comments

• Options

I remember his hat trick against Brentford, in one of his first games for us.

I remember he was the most skilful player I'd seen playing for Charlton.

I remember telling him to do one, when he tried to gatecrash a party in Plumstead. Don't you know who I am ?
    I'm Paul Walsh. Yeah, bye.

Paul mention that on Talksport,
    Said that was the reason he Left to go to Luton.
    Fans there would let him in when he turned up on their doorstep.

Ive been to Luton many of the houses havent got doors or windows on them
  • Options
    edited August 2015

I'm pretty sure that he played a couple of times in 79-80, a dire relegation campaign, but Mike Bailey started with him he following season and he never looked back. A bit like Lee Bowyer, he seemed to have an incredible awareness at a young age of what was going on around him and the right place to be on the pitch.

He was one of those players it was a pleasure to watch, his dribbling and close control was tremendous, his other real strength was that he could smash a shot with virtually no backlift. That first season he came up against a lot of "uncompromising" defenders and tied most of them in knots.

It would be interested to hear his opinion on Halesy, I always thought that Derek looked out for Walsh and gave him some protection, dishing out dire retribution to hairy-arsed defenders who kicked him up in the air.

I imagine it will be like Robert Lees book in that we will get a couple of paragraphs before its on to the big clubs, and what a great mate Alan Shearer/ Kenny Dalglish was.
  • Options
    edited August 2015

Paul mention that on Talksport,
    Said that was the reason he Left to go to Luton.
    Fans there would let him in when he turned up on their doorstep.

----------------------------------------------

They probably thought he was their new parole officer.
  • Options

TelMc32 said:

Thought he was excellent for us and so exciting to watch. I know he was an Abbey Wood lad and one of his earliest coaches was the dad of a lad from my class.

Always feel that he has a downer on Charlton during his punditry though. Maybe I am being selective, but doesn't matter how well we play it's actually the other side who are poor and he has little positive to say about us.

For that reason, I also have a bit of a downer on him!

I went to school with Walshy at Thomas a Becket in Abbey Wood and played in the same school team (he was on a different level even then). The bloke that coached the football teams was a Mr Vosper from Bexleyheath and certainly had a big say in the early development of his career (does that name ring a bell TelMc32)?

Totally agree regarding his punditry, always seems so negative with Charlton, thought it was just me that thought that lol

Hi @stockportaddick the guy I was thinking of had the surname of Collins. His lads were at St Paul's in Wickham Lane and he coached youngsters, probably before even Thomas A'Becket.

And it's definitely not just you!! :wink:
  • Options
    IMO the most talented player our youth team has produced during my time following Charlton. Quick feet and always a big threat in the opposition's penalty area. Not a favourite with his team mates though, or so I heard. Apparently, Terry Naylor was often annoyed with him because of his attitude and arrogance. Don't really know how true that is though.
  • Options
    Saw him at The Valley on Saturday.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

I played golf with him last year - came across as a complete nobhead to be honest.

Little praise for Charlton

No wonder. We sent him off to Luton.
  • Options
    My first footballing hero. He was a couple of years older than me and was so good so young. I found it really disappointing later on when as a Sky pundit it seemed like he could hardly bring himself to say the word 'Charlton' let alone give the club or the team any praise. It seemed to me like he was embarrassed of where he came from. I hope we get a positive write up in his biog.
  • Options
    Was an after dinner at a football event I went to last year.

Acknowledges Charlton but not massively complimentary, his entire routine was about his fallout with Dalglish.

Not a massive fan
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Absolutely idolised Walshie when he broke through, easily the most gifted player to come through our youth team in the 70's.
    Arguably the most gifted forward we have produced (and I include Defoe in that)
    He was a delight to watch; with his back to goal and a defender up his arse, he would leave them for dead with a drop of the shoulder and shimmy of his hips.
    He was the first player I saw whilst running at goal take a 30 yard punt over his right shoulder and control it instantly as it dropped between his instep and shin.
    His balance and close control were exceptional.
    Even though we were Div 3 when he broke through it was obvious he was destined for bigger things.
    After his sublime performance against Sheff Wed mentioned above one prominent national journalist (actually it might have been Patrick Collins) wrote an awestruck eulogy under the headline "At last a player to save our National game".
    That we off loaded him to poxy Luton because we needed the money was pitiful, but he did later reach the heights he should have with Liverpool and Spurs.
    Of course he should have won many caps for England, but asking Bobby Robson to spare him a call-up because he was knackered screwed his chances, as Bobby Robson was apoplectic that anybody would not leap at the chance to play for their country under any circumstances.
    Like others it upsets me that he has no apparent affection for Charlton, but then he was never a supporter as a lad and why should we automatically assume any ex employee should love the club like we do.
    I have also heard a few tales of general twattery.

• Options
    Oh go on.... :-)
  • Options

Oh go on.... :-)

Nah, edited.
    I'm too old for tittle tattle, and to poor to be sued :smile: -)
  • Options
    Great player. Was a prick when younger and always had an entourage (Foleys son, Mark Lazarus) used to see him at parties and was always a Billy Bigbollox. Showed no respect for our club whatsoever. No time for him TBH and comments on here support that opinion.
  • Options
    Don't hold back, say what you really think CT Addick!!
  • Options
    Hi parents used to travel on the supporters coaches to away games and they were big Charlton fans.
  • Options
    Didn't he get sent off against us once at Fratton park? Think it was a midweek game.
  • Options

Didn't he get sent off against us once at Fratton park? Think it was a midweek game.

No, Lee Chapman would be that man
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

No, Lee Chapman would be that man
    I was sure he had, he must of been substituted against us instead, he was getting a bit of abuse i thought.
  • Options
    I used to help my Dad deliver his milk when lived with his Mum and Dad in Basildon road.Two silver top and one gold top. He always stopped to chat to us when he was just breaking into the first team. Wonder if he mentions that in his book.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I flicked through the book when I was in Ireland a couple of weeks ago. It must have been published early over there. There is quite a bit about Charlton.

From memory.

He said he was an Arsenal fan although his Dad supported the Hammers. He spoke affectionately about Alan Sealey one of his early coaches. He tells an amusing story about Lawrie Madden leaving 'a Mars bar' in his jock strap which he needed to clean as an apprentice.

He also took head on about his feelings about Charlton and the perception that he is ambivalent about the club. He said he enjoys his visits to the Valley, but that it is over thirty years since he played for us. He gives the impression of being disappointed that Charlton have not given him more recognition. He points out he is probably the only Addick Youth product to play in a European Cup Final. He jokes that the only picture of him is near the toilet.
  • Options
    Richard J said:

I flicked through the book when I was in Ireland a couple of weeks ago. It must have been published early over there. There is quite a bit about Charlton.

From memory.

He said he was an Arsenal fan although his Dad supported the Hammers. He spoke affectionately about Alan Sealey one of his early coaches. He tells an amusing story about Lawrie Madden leaving 'a Mars bar' in his jock strap which he needed to clean as an apprentice.

He also took head on about his feelings about Charlton and the perception that he is ambivalent about the club. He said he enjoys his visits to the Valley, but that it is over thirty years since he played for us. He gives the impression of being disappointed that Charlton have not given him more recognition. He points out he is probably the only Addick Youth product to play in a European Cup Final. He jokes that the only picture of him is near the toilet.

I worked with his cousin...he was/is a Hammers fan.
  • Options
    I think he left for Luton the same time as Paul Elliot did. What a pair of young footballers we produced there.
  • Options
    Walsh was a big arsenal fan, used to slaughter me at school for being Charlton
  • Options

That's right, I meant his cousin was/is a WHU fan.
  • Options

Sorry Hastings, didn't mean to make my post look like I was querying yours
  • Options

Sounds like a standard footballer's autobiography, no real shocks. Publishers must be targeting L'pool fans judging by the cover.

Richard J said:

He points out he is probably the only Addick Youth product to play in a European Cup Final.

Is Lee Bowyer the nearest to matching that feat?
  • Options

Sorry Hastings, didn't mean to make my post look like I was querying yours
    No problem Stockport.
  • Options

Sounds like a standard footballer's autobiography, no real shocks. Publishers must be targeting L'pool fans judging by the cover.

Richard J said:

He points out he is probably the only Addick Youth product to play in a European Cup Final.

If not Academy product Allan Simonsen.
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:

Richard J said:

If not Academy product Allan Simonsen.
    In fact I think he talks about the prominence that Simo gets with his picture being displayed in a much more public area.