Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Andre Gray

Comments

• Options
    Laughable.
  • Options
    Against us last season at the Valley......Non league trash with no skill. £9m!!!?!!!!?? And where did City find this cash?
  • Options
    He was rubbish for us, and he cost us a million!
  • Options
    I know Fulham paid 11m for McCormack but at least he had done it for a few seasons in the division. This is madness.
  • Options
    Absolute farce if a fella playing Conference football a couple off seasons ago for Luton and then Brentford for a season is now worth 8 million. !!! He is average at best.
  • Options
    Its £7M not £9M ... Whatever it is, it's more than we got for Gomez
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:

Ah that's alright then
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    J BLOCK said:

The BBC are saying 9 million, so does that mean there will be a 25% surcharge when Brentford try to replace him because that's what Katrien thinks will happen if you disclose the fee.

• Options
    I dont' care if it is $7M or $9M, that is simply stupid money for an average player. We constantly hear of complaints about foreign coaches/managers preferring to bring in overseas players, but who can blame them when there is no value in British players?

For that kind of money, you'd be expecting a fully rounded international player, not someone that was playing non-league up to very recently.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Crazy money.

As far as i'm aware none of their other players have cost anywhere close to that amount of money so a signing like this could create disharmony in the squad if he's on far more wages than everyone else. Surely be much better if they went out and bought four 2m players and strengthened the team overall.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don't get me wrong I'm gutted that he's seemingly going for more than Gomez but from what we've been told it sounds like Gomez may have had a buy out clause in his contract of £3.5m and that was met. Not ideal but if it was the only way to get him to sign last year then what could we do?

Also if Gomez has clauses in his contract regarding sell on and England caps then we will get more than £7m in the end as he WILL play for England. No chance Andre Gray will.
  • Options
    You never know, 2/3 years ago Vardy was playing for Fleetwood but now has an England cap.
  • Options
    I know he was a flop but Mario Balotelli cost Liverpool £12m... and prior to joining he'd had an impressive career.

Just putting that £9m into context
  • Options
    Absolutely crazy money. I've only seen Gray in the two matches against us last season and I'm sure he's very good. However, this is a player who only scored his first goal in League football 12 months ago - hardly a compelling track record at this level.

This underscores two things for me:

1. first, Roland's rationale in looking to Europe for players, both in terms of transfer fees and wages; and

2. secondly, the consequences for the Championship of massively diluting the impact of FFP as from next season, just at a time when clubs like Blackburn and Forest are deservedly feeling the pinch after their recent overspending. Although Bristol City will certainly fall foul of the provisions the season, they can see the way the wind is blowing and have just decided to run the risk.

I'm sure there will be consequences for HMRC and other creditors down the line.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

You never know, 2/3 years ago Vardy was playing for Fleetwood but now has an England cap.

Well yes, but Jamie Vardy cost Leicester £1m, not £9m!
  • Options
    If someone will risk that sort of money to gamble on your player you aren't going to say no. But if Charlton were preparing to stump up that sort of cash on that sort of off-chance I would not be at all happy and would want to know how the source of the money was expecting to secure it against the club's other assets.

Of course QPR have proved that FFP is mostly useless but the point is that Brizzle don't have £9m so how hamstrung will they be to the person who does?
  • Options

What if they bid £9m for Tony Watt tomorrow?

Bye bye Tony?

We'd be silly to turn it down.

That's 11 Polish Petes, that is.
  • Options
    well overpriced .. I thought Cotterill was a semi-sensible manager unless the owner has a 'thing' for Gray, the player not the colour
  • Options
    Up to £7m for Gomez we will get.
  • Options
    I wonder if Bristol City's bids for Gayle and now Gray are as much about appeasing their fans as finding a new striker.

"Look, we're willing to splash the cash but we can't make the players sign if they don't want to come to Brizzle from that big London place"

(Aware that I am now totally hostage to Gray signing in the next ten minutes and my theory being blown out of the water.)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Paying 9m is one thing, but the corresponding wages for a player valued at that level must be at least 30k a week I would imagine. That would really lead to problems in the dressing room if he doesn't perform.
  • Options
    That's a lot of money for a one-dimensional player. Inside the box, he needs service and is not a prolific finisher. Outside the box - very average. Not a striker who links the play. In fact, he looks a non-league striker playing above his level.

Good luck with that one!
  • Options
    For that money the Chairman should tie him up and carry him down the M4 personally.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Tutt-Tutt said:

That's a lot of money for a one-dimensional player. Inside the box, he needs service and is not a prolific finisher. Outside the box - very average. Not a striker who links the play. In fact, he looks a non-league striker playing above his level.

Good luck with that one!

Someone get on the blower and let them know we have an international superstar world cup goalscorer that we'd be willing to let go for 6 million quid.

• Options
    Not often you're gutted to be stuck with a 20 goal striker but Brentford must be, he's turned it down...
  • Options
    Bristol City really need to stop throwing these bids around, it's getting embarrassing. They may as well bid £400 million for Ronaldo; it'll have the same effect but at least they'll be rejected by a proper player
  • Options

Brentford striker Andre Gray has rejected a move to Bristol City, according to Sky sources.

It is understood a deal for the 24-year-old fell down on a disagreement over personal terms, after a fee of £7m was agreed between the clubs earlier this week.

Sky sources understand Gray was at Brentford's training on Thursday and that he is in the Bees squad for Saturday's match against Burnley at Turf Moor.

And it is also believed the development has boosted the chances of Hull City, who had two previous bids rejected by Brentford, of returning with another offer for the former Luton striker.

Hull initially offered a combined £8m for Gray and right-back Moses Odubajo, but the west London club rejected the offer on the grounds it did not meet Gray's valuation nor activated Odubajo's £3.5m release clause.

Hull subsequently completed a separate £3.5m deal for Odubajo and then returned with a second bid for Gray, which was also turned down because it did not meet the club's £7m valuation.
  • Options
    Coutinho 8.5m
    Gray 9m...
  • Options
    Because a championship club is prepared to pay over the odds
    for a player; in this case about 100%, doesn't make Andre Gray a bad Player.
    He scored 18 goals in the Championship last season.
    you can't just judge players on our they play against CAFC.