Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Olympic Stadium - Please sign the NEW PETITION

Comments

• Rake of the pitch? Surely rake of the seating.?

I defer to you on that point

I'd suggest a subtly different problem, related to the retractable seats. It is only those seats surely that are so low? So take them for NFL, they are retractable.

The NFL voiced concerns that because the seats in the middle of the tiers are even further away than Wembley, even more lower tier seats would need screening off. Plus the corporate offering in the Olympic Stadium is far inferior to Wembley,and that's where the real money is.

Ah, but unaccountably in such an expensive stadium, these seats don't have the benefit of the hydraulic system that Amsterdam uses. It take a week to install and uninstall them.

Another issue which gives the lie to the line that the taxpayer will get the money back from all the many other events the OS will stage

Perhaps they should have spent more money on a proper system then? In any case, being a retrofit, it was never going to be as good a job as a made for purpose stadium.

• edited September 2015

I'm not a fan of American football being promoted in this country. We have enough proper sports competing for fans, we don't need another one.

Well at least we can agree on that point. Also as many have pointed out, most that have an interest in NFL but supports another London (real football) club will find it hard to go to WHL to cheer on any NFL franchise. Maybe another reason for the NFL to keep options open with a Wembley/ WHL split.
  • gavros said:

I'm not a fan of American football being promoted in this country. We have enough proper sports competing for fans, we don't need another one.

Well at least we can agree on that point. Also as many have pointed out, most that have an interest in NFL but supports another London (real football) club will find it hard to go to WHL to cheer on any NFL franchise. Maybe another reason for the NFL to keep options open with a Wembley/ WHL split.
    Are they really thinking of having this "franchise" playing every other week? I mean I am frankly amazed that they fill Wembley for these NFL "games" at all but if that's for a 1-off, once a year thing then maybe there are enough odd people that would go, but every other week? They'd be better off doing a deal with Barnet surely?
  • edited September 2015
    Fumbluff said:

gavros said:

Are they really thinking of having this "franchise" playing every other week? I mean I am frankly amazed that they fill Wembley for these NFL "games" at all but if that's for a 1-off, once a year thing then maybe there are enough odd people that would go, but every other week? They'd be better off doing a deal with Barnet surely?
    They would easily fill it every other week. Season ticket sell-out.

There's a very big following and don't forget also that around 200k septics live in the UK. Plus the thick end of 1 million Americans visit the UK every year - at that would almost always include London.
  • I think there's only 8 home games in a regular season in NFL...so not too much more than the 3 they already do at Wembley. The idea is that they add an extra 2 to start with at WHL, and then take that up to 5 and if demand is sustained, bob's your uncle, a London NFL franchise.
  • @gavros

"Plus the corporate offering in the Olympic Stadium is far inferior to Wembley,and that's where the real money is."

Why do you believe it to be inferior?

(nice for me to be asking you questions about facts for a change:-))

You are certainly right on the last point. That is why Gullivan are so happy. Get your 35k in at full price, and sell out the 5k capacity prawn sandwiches, and they can do what they like with the other 19k seats at any old price. Which is where we came in….
  • edited September 2015
    Wembley has 160 boxes, a number of lounges, and 15000 overall 'club' or above level capacity. The Olympic Stadium has 17 private boxes, a couple of lounges, and 3400 overall or above level capacity.

internationalstadiagroup.com/news/view/wembley-the-83000-ticket
  • edited September 2015

Get your 35k in at full price, and sell out the 5k capacity prawn sandwiches, and they can do what they like with the other 19k seats at any old price. Which is where we came in….

You do know that there are only 1000 of these £289 season tickets, dont you?

As for further development of the stadium, there's plenty that can be done including doubling the corporate tier, eventually removing the current screens and infilling the gap (placing the screens between the floodlights) and opening up currently sectioned off seats. I'd expect West Ham would be liable for any capital cost involved and/ or variation of the lease to pay extra rent given increased revenues.
  • Sponsored links:

• gavros said:

Get your 35k in at full price, and sell out the 5k capacity prawn sandwiches, and they can do what they like with the other 19k seats at any old price. Which is where we came in….

You do know that there are only 1000 of these £289 season tickets, dont you?

As for further development of the stadium, there's plenty that can be done including doubling the corporate tier, eventually removing the current screens and infilling the gap (placing the screens between the floodlights) and opening up currently sectioned off seats. I'd expect West Ham would be liable for any capital cost involved and/ or variation of the lease to pay extra rent given increased revenues.
    You are missing the point again @gavros. There may well only be 1000 of the £289 season tickets, but there will be many more seats available on a single game basis that WHU offer around the south east of England at minimal pricing.
  • Pedro45 said:

You are missing the point again @gavros. There may well only be 1000 of the £289 season tickets, but there will be many more seats available on a single game basis that WHU offer around the south east of England at minimal pricing.

So you know what West Ham's match day ticketing policy is, do you?

The club has said that it expects 40,000 season tickets to be sold in 2016/17. If you then add 5000 for Newham residents and 2,700 away fans (under the 5% rule) then youre looking at about the same number of match day tickets available as West Ham currently sell. Why would they want to knock these off at some deflated price? They wont, is the simple answer.

• gavros said:

Pedro45 said:

The club has said that it expects 40,000 season tickets to be sold in 2016/17. If you then add 5000 for Newham residents and 2,700 away fans (under the 5% rule) then youre looking at about the same number of match day tickets available as West Ham currently sell. Why would they want to knock these off at some deflated price? They wont, is the simple answer.

They will. After all this perlarver they won't want to see an empty seat for any game. They'll be free with a box of cornflakes!
  • They will. After all this perlarver they won't want to see an empty seat for any game. They'll be free with a box of cornflakes!

So they will forego known demand for match day tickets at current prices and give them away?
  • gavros said:

They will. After all this perlarver they won't want to see an empty seat for any game. They'll be free with a box of cornflakes!

So they will forego known demand for match day tickets at current prices and give them away?
    Yes, when the need arises. Give it a few months a year, Wet Spam implode as they are want to do every couple of years and those empty seats will be flogged cheap or given away.
  • So are West Ham going to become a bigger club on the back of the taxpayer, or are they going to stay the same despite all the financial benefits that they derive from their 'free' stadium? You can't have both outcomes.
  • gavros said:

So are West Ham going to become a bigger club on the back of the taxpayer, or are they going to stay the same despite all the financial benefits that they derive from their 'free' stadium? You can't have both outcomes.

Oh dear. The fact that WHU and the Gullivans have been given a massive boost at the tax payers expense does not mean that West Ham United will never again balls up on the pitch, does it? That's all I was pointing out. Turning your quesrion around, do you now expect West Ham to become too big to ever suffer a drop in form on the pitch, thus effecting attendances at their new plush and relatively inexpensve (to them) home?
  • No, that's not what you were pointing out. You said that from next season West Ham would definitely be giving away loads of match day tickets for free.

That's a totally different scenario to the one you have belatedly outlined.

• WHU are taking an enormous gamble, fortunately, they believe, with other people's money. This could be a grave miscalculation (see the excellent risk analysis by @Grapevine49 in page 13 of this discussion).

Besides, by 2018 Chelsea will also be looking to fill another 20000 seats and Tottenham 25000. As well as the clubs themselves the TV companies will want full, noisy stadiums. If there is the least downturn in the game's popularity, or if relegation comes around it could be a bloodbath.
  • gavros said:

Pedro45 said:

I'm sure some of the current walk up will be included in that 40,000, right?
  • Sponsored links:

• gavros said:

Pedro45 said:

Do you know West Ham's match day ticketing policy Gavros..??

• gavros said:

No, that's not what you were pointing out. You said that from next season West Ham would definitely be giving away loads of match day tickets for free.

That's a totally different scenario to the one you have belatedly outlined.

God you are getting tedious...

You mean the "They'll be free with a box of cornflakes!" statement?

As you are such a literal chap you must be looking forward to that unredacted contract due at some point.

West Ham, once they have an inevitable dip in form, as teams do, will be able to offer so much more on the back of this deal. It is a leg up at everyone else's expense. Unfair and a stain on a famous football club I have up to now never had a bad thing to think about.

• You couldn't turn Talksport on last year without hearing another embarrassing advert/plea/promotion for big old Premier League West Ham to try and fill their current stadium, it's good to know a shinier seat much further from the pitch is going to attract all these extra cockernee-no-marks from their jellied eels stalls...
  • Fumbluff said:

You couldn't turn Talksport on last year without hearing another embarrassing advert/plea/promotion for big old Premier League West Ham to try and fill their current stadium, it's good to know a shinier seat much further from the pitch is going to attract all these extra cockernee-no-marks from their jellied eels stalls...

The seats at Upton Park are too close to the pitch.
  • @Gavros.

Thanks for the info on the hospitality. Genuinely useful, although I doubt you'll be so happy about what we are going to do with it :-)

You talked about 5,000 Newham residents. Does this derive from the "100,000 tickets per year" propaganda? if so you appear to be assuming that West Ham will make those tickets available equally for every game. For example against Spurs or Chelsea. I predict the contract will show that West Ham will have absolute discretion over when they offer the Newham freebies. So like we said before, 20k for the Europa league exit, 20k for the Capital Cup against Bury, and 20k for the FA Cup against Burton...obligations fulfilled, pretty much

5k for free to Newham against Manchester United? Ha ha ha. Ha ha ha ha ha.
  • edited September 2015

@Gavros.

Thanks for the info on the hospitality. Genuinely useful, although I doubt you'll be so happy about what we are going to do with it :-)

You talked about 5,000 Newham residents. Does this derive from the "100,000 tickets per year" propaganda? if so you appear to be assuming that West Ham will make those tickets available equally for every game. For example against Spurs or Chelsea. I predict the contract will show that West Ham will have absolute discretion over when they offer the Newham freebies. So like we said before, 20k for the Europa league exit, 20k for the Capital Cup against Bury, and 20k for the FA Cup against Burton...obligations fulfilled, pretty much

5k for free to Newham against Manchester United? Ha ha ha. Ha ha ha ha ha.

You really are a smug bugger, aren't you?

I look forward to your smile being wiped straight off of your face when it's proven there's no case to answer.

Your friend's recent tweet:

Steve Lawrence ‏@SteveLawrence_ 4h4 hours ago
    U-turn on West Ham veto on another club sharing Olympic stadium is an essential component in demonstrating state aid is compatible with TfEU

Brady tried to suggest West Ham did have a veto but that was later retracted by Sullivan.

"Hammers admit Spurs could share OS

West Ham have tonight revealed that Spurs could share the Olympic Stadium but that it remains “hugely unlikely.”

However, A Spurs spokesman had already told the Mail : ‘We are looking at all options but Wembley is our preference.’

And this evening a very highly placed West Ham insider told ClaretandHugh exclusively: ” We are tenants, so it could happen. We keep saying we have a good deal, but it’s NOT as amazing as people think.

“Having said that nobody believes it will happen for a moment. From everything we are hearing and are being told it seems far more likely that they will go to Wembley.”

claretandhugh.info/
  • Not sure what your point is Gav - what Lawrence is saying is that to deny Tottenham would have been a huge own goal. They had no choice but to cede.
  • edited September 2015
    Yeah and he's right and it'd be good for the taxpayer if Spurs could get in there for a year - if the LLDC have the power to be able to get a good deal from them. I guess this is part of their desire to keep the deal confidential, along with the stadium sponsor.
  • Gavros, if the deal is good for the tax payers and not as good for West ham as people think, then why don't they just publish the dam thing and be done?
    By keeping under wraps just adds fuel to the fire. Even you must admit that.
  • It would be interesting to see how much Wembley would cost spurs to rent for a season.